Stalking and Sunshine

I was finally able to get out stalking. I love this time of year, stalking at first and last light with time in between spent on the beach...

Anyway, I had a bit of luck and the freezer is no longer ‘critical’. I saw dozens of does. The bucks just weren’t active, every one I shot was in cover, none in the open like the does.

Im sure you’ve all stalked a deer before so I’ll just post a few pics of one of my favourite times of year.

767764F3-E795-49BD-958D-2D49C3306C58.jpeg

D5714371-A8C1-437E-809A-4B60F501BA77.jpeg

41498972-566F-44B1-A849-C197CA368361.jpeg

9D66787E-D06D-4198-A0C3-803C08192653.jpeg

C0AA8388-ACDB-49F6-A788-A62C4FEF24EC.jpeg

B9728BAA-6FEB-4AEA-874A-46F543716872.jpeg

4BD1D7BE-5B93-4558-A65F-1C4FED80F63C.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was finally able to get out stalking. I love this time of year, stalking at first and last light with time in between spent on the beach... Anyway, I had a bit of luck and the freezer is no lon

With these medal head tragedies you lot are sharing next time I see a youngster with a medal head that'd be better off left all I'll be able to think is "Well, that'll certainly get run over next week

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Great result  , did you get 3 bucks and a fox this morning?

Nah mate, over a couple of days, but yeah, three bucks and that opportunistic fox. :thumbs:

Edited by Born Hunter
14 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Nice pics , but keep your shirt on , you’re making old farts like me feel inadequate ?

:laugh: 

Eat more venison and less KFC. Nah only joking mate. You'll have birds to wood soon I expect and then all you keepers live on redbull and stress! :laugh:

Just now, Born Hunter said:

:laugh: 

Eat more venison and less KFC. Nah only joking mate. You'll have birds to wood soon I expect and then all you keepers live on redbull and stress! :laugh:

I’ve only had redbull once . I went to pick up a second hand truck from Wales and if was late and I nearly fell asleep at the wheel , so I pulled over and bought a redbull and it worked, kept me awake all the way home . Problem was I couldn’t sleep when I got home and I was awake all night looking at the ceiling. I knackered me up for days. 
         I kind of enjoy the stress and worry ? I think I thrive on it . Don’t think I could do a “ normal “ job .?

• Haha 2

Excellent photos. Is that a bug or a jet in the Fallow deer photo?

Hi remember when I was that shape. It's upside down now though!

On a side note, when I went work this morning at 5:30 there was a roe doe in our lane. I welled up when I saw it, I've only waited 30 years for this to happen! I just hope a buck is following her too.

33 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Excellent photos. Is that a bug or a jet in the Fallow deer photo?

Hi remember when I was that shape. It's upside down now though!

On a side note, when I went work this morning at 5:30 there was a roe doe in our lane. I welled up when I saw it, I've only waited 30 years for this to happen! I just hope a buck is following her too.

They're something special aren't they...

It's a horse fly mate. I was just stood quietly and motionless in the shade of the wood and the doe wandered all the way from about 200 yards or more right up to me. I often break up the day f***ing about like that. Anyway, the shade was buzzing with the b*****d things!

Also, I didn't think the head on that first buck was anything special. I kept it because I felt it was up to my standard for keeping but now I've clean it up it's about the biggest head I've ever shot! Weighed in at 583gms morning after cleaning! I'm just waiting on some more peroxide (my last bottle exploded in the cupboard one night) and I'll post pics of it finished. Also I'm sending those skins to be tanned, salt curing now. I've never done that before and I think it's a shame not to have a few kicking about. I eventually want a nice menil fallow rug and these roe will be a good test run.

Edited by Born Hunter
I was 2 grams out!
  • Like 3

With your pictures and write ups I recon you could have a book in you at some stage in the future mate, nice one, the picture of the fox is the kind of landscape I’d be looking for as a likely area for a big predator to live ?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
25 minutes ago, Greyman said:

With your pictures and write ups I recon you could have a book in you at some stage in the future mate, nice one, the picture of the fox is the kind of landscape I’d be looking for as a likely area for a big predator to live ?

Ha, I don’t feel like I do enough for a book. But thank you.

• Like 1

Over 500gr dry , length and decent span that might make the grade , are you going to get it measured ? ..best I’ve ever shot made good silver , I think yours will pip my one ..left two that would have made gold but they were exceptional heads on young deer , one was killed about three weeks later on the road and the other shot by my pals son next door to my perm on one of his first solo outings ....his old fella wasn’t best pleased to say the least ! 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, sussex said:

Over 500gr dry , length and decent span that might make the grade , are you going to get it measured ? ..best I’ve ever shot made good silver , I think yours will pip my one ..left two that would have made gold but they were exceptional heads on young deer , one was killed about three weeks later on the road and the other shot by my pals son next door to my perm on one of his first solo outings ....his old fella wasn’t best pleased to say the least ! 

I'll see what it weighs when fully dry and then decide if it's in with a chance but yeah be a shame not to if it is a medal class. 

You show a commendable level of restraint with your deer mate. Fair play.

• Like 1