Price of pups

I guess you pay what YOU think a pup is worth.

My last one was exactly what I was looking for, a well bred first cross Deer Grey. The guy wanted £250, a pittance, I thought, for the right dog. I drove a couple of hundred miles, met the guy and found out we had mutual friends going back over 40 years ! He insisted he would only take £200, and as I was leaving he gave me £20 "luck money " ! I've had ten seasons out of the bitch, and she's now retired.

Before that, I paid £120 for a Beddy type, out of well proven parents, she's 15 and still in my kennel.

The one before that was a pure saluki, gifted to me.

A pal recently gifted me a teckel pup, from east European working stock, for my brother, to replace his Russell that had died. He could have sold it for £800, but he'd rather it went to a good, working home.

My point is, if it's what you want, you shouldn't worry what you pay; whatever you pay, you get more than your monies worth over it's lifetime,  if you're lucky.

Cheers

• Like 12

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess you pay what YOU think a pup is worth. My last one was exactly what I was looking for, a well bred first cross Deer Grey. The guy wanted £250, a pittance, I thought, for the right dog. I

when   I was a kid there were lots of  mongrels and they would all work pretty much, and were free mostly, sweep was 10 bob and caught hundreds of rabbits far more than the runners.      

Anyone got a spaniel to put over my. Bedlington bitch we could knock out some ( Bed springs ) at a grand each ? ? 

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I guess you pay what YOU think a pup is worth.

My last one was exactly what I was looking for, a well bred first cross Deer Grey. The guy wanted £250, a pittance, I thought, for the right dog. I drove a couple of hundred miles, met the guy and found out we had mutual friends going back over 40 years ! He insisted he would only take £200, and as I was leaving he gave me £20 "luck money " ! I've had ten seasons out of the bitch, and she's now retired.

Before that, I paid £120 for a Beddy type, out of well proven parents, she's 15 and still in my kennel.

The one before that was a pure saluki, gifted to me.

A pal recently gifted me a teckel pup, from east European working stock, for my brother, to replace his Russell that had died. He could have sold it for £800, but he'd rather it went to a good, working home.

My point is, if it's what you want, you shouldn't worry what you pay; whatever you pay, you get more than your monies worth over it's lifetime,  if you're lucky.

Cheers

Have you ever seen or owned a Chart Polski buddy? 

Of course, there can be the odd downside to gifted dogs;

when the saluki that was gifted to me in Saudi had to be put down at 17 years of age;

IMG_0517.JPG.296353afafa8af44534a6988aff92677.JPG

The guy that gave him to me thought it would be a nice thing to replace him, with.............a Doberman bitch !

It would have been churlish and disrespectful of me not to accept, and when I retired, I brought her back to the UK. I was lucky that I flew her back free, but had to pay over £1500 quarantine fees !!

She caught a few rabbits, and was mental on fox, and even got a mention in one of Darcy's books, flushing deer to Bruce the Rescue Dog !

IMG_0141.JPG.fd38b8d4df7b92632e3ecdba9145fb8e.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG.5405c04359b9ee4c39cde3c340aacce0.JPG

Would I have changed anything ? Nah, I don't think so.

Cheers.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Have you ever seen or owned a Chart Polski buddy? 

The reason I use the name "Chartpolski" is; I was wondering down a street in Texas , and a bloke was approaching with a nice looking dog ; I said "nice lurcher, mate" , and he got a bit shirty, "It's not a lurcher, it's a Chartpolski", he said. I apologised and said I'd never heard of them. He explained they were Polish hunting dogs. That's the only one I've ever seen.

Cheers.

• Haha 2
49 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

The reason I use the name "Chartpolski" is; I was wondering down a street in Texas , and a bloke was approaching with a nice looking dog ; I said "nice lurcher, mate" , and he got a bit shirty, "It's not a lurcher, it's a Chartpolski", he said. I apologised and said I'd never heard of them. He explained they were Polish hunting dogs. That's the only one I've ever seen.

Cheers.

Great story. ??

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Sounds like you have led an interesting life 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...