Mountain Hares

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if you cant shoot them that must give them full protection so you have no loophole for hunting them IE flushing.  ( pre ban )

What like the bloods and crips like

That’s the trouble people believe everything they read on pro shooting websites, spend a bit of time in the Cairngorms & Perthshire areas you’ll see it couldn’t be further from the truth. Gro

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

I dont run whites down there joe different area thats south im 200 miles up from there got a bit down thete for rabbits get tbe odd white on it but not moorland 

It was probably 10 year ago I watched that dvd it was all hills and moorland if I remember right.

6 minutes ago, joe ox said:

It was probably 10 year ago I watched that dvd it was all hills and moorland if I remember right.

Tried to find on you tube be good to watch it hard some decent runs down there on the grass with them but only we rabbits dogs i keep so they might make it look better ?but still good sport 

1 minute ago, nothernlite said:

Tried to find on you tube be good to watch it hard some decent runs down there on the grass with them but only we rabbits dogs i keep so they might make it look better ?but still good sport 

There was some good running on it to be honest, it showed warts and all. At the time she had whippet coursing types they were handy little dogs to be fair.

34 minutes ago, joe ox said:

There is a dvd called mountain massacre which shows lurchers taking mountain hares from start to finish 100s killed, it shows exactly how hard mountain hares are to catch with lurchers, its was filmed on northernlites land by SJM a member of this forum.

i would love to see this dvd, just to see the terrain and the type of dogs, that  made it so hard  to catch these blue hares,seen afew lurchers taking good tumbles,when coursing them, especially when the hares got on sheep tracks and the lurchers would follow them flat out,then suddenly the hare would take them down hill into steep rough guts with rocks and boulders strewn round running ground. lots of dogs could pick them selfs up and carry on coursing, but a few were less fortunate,coursing a tough old game even on well conditioned dogs.

3 minutes ago, grompz said:

i would love to see this dvd, just to see the terrain and the type of dogs, that  made it so hard  to catch these blue hares,seen afew lurchers taking good tumbles,when coursing them, especially when the hares got on sheep tracks and the lurchers would follow them flat out,then suddenly the hare would take them down hill into steep rough guts with rocks and boulders strewn round running ground. lots of dogs could pick them selfs up and carry on coursing, but a few were less fortunate,coursing a tough old game even on well conditioned dogs.

PM Mr Pit mate, he might have it 

I've seen the dvd, it's only got one dog on it, and what a sharp runner it is

9 minutes ago, grompz said:

When I said " shows exactly how hard mountain hares are to catch " it wasn't a reference meaning they are hard to catch or easy for that matter! The meaning was people can judge for themselves by watching the dvd.

Edited by joe ox
  • Like 1
On 20/06/2020 at 06:41, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Do mountain hares ever move down and start living on the lower grass fields ? 

They do in spring and in hardships.  More cases of hybridization happen where numbers are struggling.  It used to be thought thai it didnt happen . It does . I've caught a hybrid myself 

56 minutes ago, The drover said:

They do in spring and in hardships.  More cases of hybridization happen where numbers are struggling.  It used to be thought thai it didnt happen . It does . I've caught a hybrid myself 

How did you know it was a cross between the two ? Could of been an albino brown hare, I’ve only ever caught one of them, it wasn’t pure white but very light in colour and there was definitely no mountain hares in that area and was the same size as a brown 

45 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

How did you know it was a cross between the two ? Could of been an albino brown hare, I’ve only ever caught one of them, it wasn’t pure white but very light in colour and there was definitely no mountain hares in that area and was the same size as a brown 

I caught it in a place called muirkirk.  Was known for whites years back.  I caught it just on the edge of the moor . I couldn't tell which it was . As I was doing work in Strathclyde university I asked them if they wanted it . They did , and I was told it was indeed a hybrid.  They asked to keep it . I later read that it's a lot more common in Finland.  And I've also caught an albino brown 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, nothernlite said:

Got a we video of a run on one where your talking about joe but hill grass  excuse the music lol

Did they catch it D . I can mind 30 year back you got them across the clyde from that bit on the flat grass . The made for the mast at top of that hill . Scary stuff when the turned back down ?