Mountain Hares

Just now, baz123 said:

In the 6 years a was there only once did I bump into a lad after a run, it was about this time of year, a said why you running leverts...the usual..." just after a run for ma pup" ? . A gave him my number and told him to phone me in the winter and he could crack on...that was in the first year a was there and a never heard from him again ? hope it wasnt you ?

No not me, last thing I want to do this time of year is run dogs ?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if you cant shoot them that must give them full protection so you have no loophole for hunting them IE flushing.  ( pre ban )

What like the bloods and crips like

That’s the trouble people believe everything they read on pro shooting websites, spend a bit of time in the Cairngorms & Perthshire areas you’ll see it couldn’t be further from the truth. Gro

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

You’ve picked me up wrong, moorland management is great for hares. Predator control, heather burning etc, all benefits the mountain hare, what I don’t like is keepers doing all those things, and then shooting all the hares.

Fair enough a small amount nobody will complain about that, but it’s a sad sight to walk a moor not see any.

? agreed 

2 hours ago, baz123 said:

In the 6 years a was there only once did I bump into a lad after a run, it was about this time of year, a said why you running leverts...the usual..." just after a run for ma pup" ? . A gave him my number and told him to phone me in the winter and he could crack on...that was in the first year a was there and a never heard from him again ? hope it wasnt you ?

what estate did you work on?

There is a little bit more to it than meets the eye to be fair. The main reason for culling hares in Scotland is to keep tick numbers down. As the quantity of tick that can be carried by hares is unbelievable. To the extent I have friends in Scotland who have seen leverets as well as grouse and wader chicks dying from anaemia, nevermind the ones that die from the louping ill virus carried by the ticks. So I'd agree that predator control for grouse produces large numbers of hares, but the presence of these extra hares have the potential to undo all the conservation efforts as well. Also, there is little threat of wiping out hares, as most moors cull consistent numbers year in and year out, which indicates there's no major decrease in numbers. It just prevents a major rise in numbers, which is no doubt going to come shortly. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, SNAP-SHOT said:

There is a little bit more to it than meets the eye to be fair. The main reason for culling hares in Scotland is to keep tick numbers down. As the quantity of tick that can be carried by hares is unbelievable. To the extent I have friends in Scotland who have seen leverets as well as grouse and wader chicks dying from anaemia, nevermind the ones that die from the louping ill virus carried by the ticks. So I'd agree that predator control for grouse produces large numbers of hares, but the presence of these extra hares have the potential to undo all the conservation efforts as well. Also, there is little threat of wiping out hares, as most moors cull consistent numbers year in and year out, which indicates there's no major decrease in numbers. It just prevents a major rise in numbers, which is no doubt going to come shortly. 

Can honestly say I’ve never caught a white hare covered in ticks, all that about culling consistent numbers is a load of shit as well. The whole landscape is managed solely to benefit grouse, and if the hares carry ticks then why would they want a good population on their moor? Food for the raptors is the only reason but they don’t want them either, they kill grouse, raid nests, ruin drives on shoot days. The whole conservation thing is getting a bit far fetched now anyone with half a brain can see that.

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1

I don't know much about white hares, but people get very emotional about shooting big numbers of brown hares also, but large populations are un healthy, and need control and could not be tolerated from a financial viewpoint on an agricultural estate either, any wild animal population will fare better long term in a managed landscape, but needs to be managed also, when predators are removed, we used to run on one big estate where several thousand were shot each year, the last thing you want for good coursing is to many hares, almost as bad as to few lol, it is a misguided view by anti's that populations manage themselves on wild ground, it wont predation and disease will wipe them  out.

when

47 minutes ago, two crows said:

I don't know much about white hares, but people get very emotional about shooting big numbers of brown hares also, but large populations are un healthy, and need control and could not be tolerated from a financial viewpoint on an agricultural estate either, any wild animal population will fare better long term in a managed landscape, but needs to be managed also, when predators are removed, we used to run on one big estate where several thousand were shot each year, the last thing you want for good coursing is to many hares, almost as bad as to few lol, it is a misguided view by anti's that populations manage themselves on wild ground, it wont predation and disease will wipe them  out.

when

‘Could not be tolerated from a financial viewpoint’ 

You’ve hit the nail on the head there, it ALWAYS comes back to money in the end, in some way or another.

If animals like the hare could not survive in a wild landscape, how did they survive before keepers came along with their guns and traps? We’re in the situation we’re in now, because men have twisted & altered the landscape to maximise profit. 

Edited by Shadow100

Shawdow100 I think you've watched 1 to many springwatch .  I have shooting record books going back to 18th century,and estate I am on isnt a big well know 1.keepers have been about along time. Your going down the whole rewilding pish argument. The shooting industry supplies jobs for thousands of folk directly and many more indirectly and seasonal. Some of these remote areas would have f**k all about them if it wasnt for the shooting estates and definitely f**k all white hares if they went down the whole " rewilding " carry on. 

23 minutes ago, baz123 said:

Shawdow100 I think you've watched 1 to many springwatch .  I have shooting record books going back to 18th century,and estate I am on isnt a big well know 1.keepers have been about along time. Your going down the whole rewilding pish argument. The shooting industry supplies jobs for thousands of folk directly and many more indirectly and seasonal. Some of these remote areas would have f**k all about them if it wasnt for the shooting estates and definitely f**k all white hares if they went down the whole " rewilding " carry on. 

Think it’s more likely the fact that you’re a keeper so won’t accept any criticism about the shooting industry, because if it collapses you’re f****d.

Edited by Shadow100
1 minute ago, Shadow100 said:

Think it’s more likely the fact that you’re a keeper so won’t accept any criticism about the shooting industry, because if it collapses you’re f****d

Couldn't be further from the truth , just seen with my own eyes the difference managed areas compared with not managed . All estates av been on prey species flourish so cant just be a coincidence. If the industry was to "collapse" then I think it would be a shame but i personally wouldn't lose to much sleep. In 10- 15 years time there would be big grants and lottery funding to help save some of the species that once thrived on the managed land ?

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, baz123 said:

Couldn't be further from the truth , just seen with my own eyes the difference managed areas compared with not managed . All estates av been on prey species flourish so cant just be a coincidence. If the industry was to "collapse" then I think it would be a shame but i personally wouldn't lose to much sleep. In 10- 15 years time there would be big grants and lottery funding to help save some of the species that once thrived on the managed land ?

Said it before I’m not anti shooting, i just say what I’ve seen, if people disagree that’s fair enough.

I can see the viewpoint from both sides. I'm not trying to deny that the main motivation is to benefit grouse numbers, but the byproduct of that, is thriving wader and moorland birds also. And when the hares reach excessively large numbers the tick and disease issues are very real. I can say that with certainty from experience, regardless of the lack of ticks you have seen on hares. If the protection of hares is the start of the end for managed Scotland, then in 10 years you'll see a serious change a cross the moorland. Because once predator control stops it is only a matter of time before the waders, skylarks etc are practically wiped out. Before long there'll be little to no wildlife to be seen, because the food source for raptors etc will diminish.