jill jab me arse

2 months ago we got our Jill to the vet and got her jabbed so she wouldnt come in season ,and ...NOW SHE HAS FFS,.....so its going to be a long summer now ,with her in heat...hopefully she will go out of season in the not too distant future ..that was a waste of 35 euros anyway...ive a young kit coming during the week ,im hoping the jill takes kindly to her,and i expect she will...how long you reckon the jill will stay in heat folks?

I reckon the jill jab is the worst way of bring them out of season as even with the jag they will come in 4/5 times and your pumping them full of chemicals 

Far better running them with a snipped hob and he takes them out as they come into season 

• Like 6

Alot of vets are very clueliss when regarding ferrets . The jill jab is to bring a ferret jill out of heat not to prevent this . I would call the vets you had it done and explain this to them . Hopefully they will give the jill another jab out of goodwill . Atb 

• Like 4

Jiggy.... Use a vasectomised hob would be the way to go mate, I've had one running with 3 Jill's for a few yrs now. He loves his summers ?. If there isn't any by you perhaps invest in a hob kit to get done and be a trend setter  

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Jigsaw mate the jab is only when they come into season, not to prevent it.. unless there's a new one I've not heard of.

aww ffs,i didnt know that,i know nothing on the matter and ive kept ferrets for 20 odd years,i will get the daughter to ring him this evening as its in her name,see what he says ..thanks for the info

13 minutes ago, breeze said:

Jiggy.... Use a vasectomised hob would be the way to go mate, I've had one running with 3 Jill's for a few yrs now. He loves his summers ?. If there isn't any by you perhaps invest in a hob kit to get done and be a trend setter  

im not getting anymore lol...i will have 2 by next weekend and a third i dont think i want ...hopefully the vet will sort it ,

If she wasn't fully in season when jabbed then you have a case with the vets. Agree with what you're hearing above. A couple of points to add. When I've not had a vasectomised hob I've used Jill jabs. They don't always work as a one time per season treatment. 2 factors here, first off if a Jill is early in season expect another season at the likely end of pregancy cycle and that's also true for using a vasectomised hob (worst case 1 in 2 to typically 1 in 4 Jill's per year in the lines I keep). The other issue is if your vet is not ferret experienced they maybe terrified and if the ferret moves ? give a poorly placed jab or not get the full dose in . 

If you time it right with the jab and leave them for a little bit then you can get lucky and skip them coming back into season. I have a vacced hob now which is fine. I did try leaving them in season but they dropped in condition badly and in the 3 rd year I lost one so wouldn't do that again my self. May be one year on and off might have been better. But vac hob seems the best way though at 75 quid his quite valuable now lol

• Like 2

I sold 2 jill kits to a vets wife ( the tv vet Mat Brash my only claim to fame ha )

She said she jabbed them with the same stuff they jab the tigers with at flamigo land and keeps them out of season for 2 years ! Ha