Lures,flies,floats and anything else your making for fishing

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clear coated and tested ...runs a treat  

The first of five done ...this is all in colour shift paints so changes colour with the  angle of view.

Moving on from lifelong cumbrian fantastic spoon thread  I thought it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread for all things fishing that we make ourselves.  I've just started making some

Posted Images

I've just recycled an old fly rod and made a light weight Avon type rod for fishing small rivers and lakes. It used to be a Forrest & Sons of Kelso nine foot #6 rod that I used for grayling fishing. No need for that now so I took a hacksaw to it, cut a bit off here, added a bit more there and stripped all the guides and varnish off then rebuilt it after applying six coats of Tru Oil to the blank. All the guides were cleaned and replaced, the cork handle was sanded down to allow new alloy reel seats to be added and a second handle was fashioned out of a broken cork handle and some cane from a customer's garden.

P1020114.JPG.4c1851de8ec9c2ce2412682e1cf44fa6.JPG

P1020116.JPG.bfda8aed70d30a1e9b64d4939ae82955.JPG

I had made notes of where all the original wrappings were but in the end I just replaced the guides where they had been except for the second one that was moved a bit lower down to compensate for the missing 15cm. Instead of doing loads of intermediate wrappings as on the original I copied the spacings of my Avon rod so there were three of four intermediates, not eight or ten.

P1020118.JPG.e1d416c71b29dbb246789a7abc21e0ae.JPG

P1020119.JPG.a6f29e4fe9afa11b0a8f352bea992a02.JPG

Initially I wanted to use the original makers hand written logo, but that meant I couldn't have the hook holder and fancy wrapping at the butt. So instead  bought a small custom transfer "Forrest Fly - 9 Ft - Light Avon"

P1020121.JPG.0067827f77e1db99228fe0a8f8f3b523.JPG

Only the part of the cane from the cork to the first intermediate wrapping was varnished to secure the transfer more than anything. That save da load of work and grief. Treating the cane with Tru Oil is the way to go. After all the varnish had dried I applied a couple of coats of furniture wax to keep the moisture out.

So, I kept all the original cane less 15cm, the orignal cork handle, original guides, ferrules and butt button. The rod is still nine feet, but has an action very similar to a Mk. IV Avon but is a little lighter.

What is the book doing there? Every time I applied varnish I had to keep turning the rod to stop the varnish from running. I sat in a comfy cane chair, dog on my knee, cup of coffee to hand and read the book. Every few pages I would reach up and rotate the blanks 180 degrees.

2 hours ago, pesky1972 said:

Brilliant thread this, and some cracking gear on show. Well played all. Kanny you’re not a fisherman, you’re an artist. Not sure I could put that much time and effort into making something, then losing it in a snag or up a tree. 

I'd rather loose something ive made than something I paid 40 quid for lol 

Thanks for the comment out of likes ? 

22 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

I know they are wank, first attempt in 20 years 

IMG_20210115_185203.jpg

IMG_20210115_183253.jpg

you thought of having a go at some jig flies for pike ?, very popular at the moment, people getting good results with them ?

22 minutes ago, kanny said:

you thought of having a go at some jig flies for pike ?, very popular at the moment, people getting good results with them ?

I use alot of buzzers and nymphs so I'm going to try and tie a load of them. Might be a good idea to practice on something bigger though, less fiddly for my clumsy fingers 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

I know they aren't very good really. I'm going to try following a proper pattern then keep practicing the same fly until it looks better. Just ordered some resin for the heads and a whip finishing tool 

IMG_20210119_193809.jpg

I use  UV curing resin for the topcoat of my lures  its incredibly quick ,you can use a UV torch to cure small items and it hardens pretty much instantly,  well worth looking into if you start doing more 

2 hours ago, kanny said:

I use  UV curing resin for the topcoat of my lures  its incredibly quick ,you can use a UV torch to cure small items and it hardens pretty much instantly,  well worth looking into if you start doing more 

These just arrived 

IMG_20210120_154041.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I tried the fly tying an think I spent couple hours making mess? buying the gear was the best part? imagining all the flies I’d make ?not made one whole fly since, I just buy them in, same as purse nets and stuff, I do try an but I keep sitting there thinking there’s other stuff that needs done ??

I try all these things, same as net making, then realise I just don't have the patience and put it all away for another 10 years ?

• Like 2