Lures,flies,floats and anything else your making for fishing

12 hours ago, waltjnr said:

Kanny ,how do you get it to the first picture ? Looks like foil,or is that paint ? Then clear resin over it??? The finished article is stunning 

Got me giving away my trade  secrets ?.... its foil ducting tape  over a random mesh florists use..then as you say umpteen  coats of clear coat  then paint  then more clear coat. 

20220603_235338.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clear coated and tested ...runs a treat  

The first of five done ...this is all in colour shift paints so changes colour with the  angle of view.

Moving on from lifelong cumbrian fantastic spoon thread  I thought it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread for all things fishing that we make ourselves.  I've just started making some

Posted Images

18 hours ago, waltjnr said:

Then clear resin over it???

I use a fast curing uv resin  that I fast cure with a high UV lamp,cures in about half a hour but I normally give it a hour  to be on the safe side .it needs to be constantly spinning for a even finish ?

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, kanny said:

I use a fast curing uv resin  that I fast cure with a high UV lamp,cures in about half a hour but I normally give it a hour  to be on the safe side .it needs to be constantly spinning for a even finish ?

They look so good ,I creosoted my garage and it looks shite lol,must be a fall back career, after the cabinet making ,and meat smoker !?

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, waltjnr said:

They look so good ,I creosoted my garage and it looks shite lol,must be a fall back career, after the cabinet making ,and meat smoker !?

It's something I wouldn't mind doing for a few beer tokens at some point.....crazy what some people are willing to pay for a  lure ? 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, kanny said:

It's something I wouldn't mind doing for a few beer tokens at some point.....crazy what some people are willing to pay for a  lure ? 

Quality bespoke stuff ,people happy to pay for ,I'm more carp orientated, so not up on lure fishing,but I'm sure a few samples to big names in that field ,you'd get a  loyal following ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kanny said:

Most people who are not into lure fishing and jerkbaits/swimbaits in particular don’t realise the money some of these baits sell for . I keep looking at Greg nimmers stuff , he makes every lure by hand and carves them from a block with a machete . Not cheap but I wouldn’t mind one of his wolly pog’s . 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, neil r said:

Most people who are not into lure fishing and jerkbaits/swimbaits in particular don’t realise the money some of these baits sell for . I keep looking at Greg nimmers stuff , he makes every lure by hand and carves them from a block with a machete . Not cheap but I wouldn’t mind one of his wolly pog’s . 

I've just checked him out  some cool old skool looking stuff ?...expect to see a UK friendly version,   kanny's polly wog soon ....12oz is a bit much for around here ?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kanny said:

I've just checked him out  some cool old skool looking stuff ?...expect to see a UK friendly version,   kanny's polly wog soon ....12oz is a bit much for around here ?

Be good to see something like them and his pog tail over here , nearly every topwater lure is just a wtd/popper/plopper variant . You used to be able to get stuff like mouldy’s hawg wobblers , boss hawg and rattle hawgs over here but nobody seems to do them now , not even franglaise has them . Have you seen the Irish shop called House of lures , nothing but lures from custom makers . There’s some unpainted jerkbaits made from spalted wood that look cool but at about 70 euros I wouldn’t want to lose one , they make my chico shads and phantoms look cheap 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, neil r said:

Be good to see something like them and his pog tail over here , nearly every topwater lure is just a wtd/popper/plopper variant . You used to be able to get stuff like mouldy’s hawg wobblers , boss hawg and rattle hawgs over here but nobody seems to do them now , not even franglaise has them . Have you seen the Irish shop called House of lures , nothing but lures from custom makers . There’s some unpainted jerkbaits made from spalted wood that look cool but at about 70 euros I wouldn’t want to lose one , they make my chico shads and phantoms look cheap 

Just had a look on the house of lures  ? some interesting stuff on there,   some stuff from a lad on Instagram I chat with he does the sophisticated Sophie  stuff very original...guess this is what you are talk about regarding the spalted stuff... easy money ?

IMG_20211022_161043-scaled.jpg

FMB-BO-0009-Spalted-Beetch-2-Slow-Sinking-scaled.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, kanny said:

Just had a look on the house of lures  ? some interesting stuff on there,   some stuff from a lad on Instagram I chat with he does the sophisticated Sophie  stuff very original...guess this is what you are talk about regarding the spalted stuff... easy money ?

IMG_20211022_161043-scaled.jpg

FMB-BO-0009-Spalted-Beetch-2-Slow-Sinking-scaled.jpg

It’s proper easy , no paint to mess about with,  just cut , shape and seal the blank  add the metalwork and weight it then just a few coats of epoxy and it’s done . Could probably knock quite a few up quickly if you had enough spalted wood . The money is a bit strong though but I bet they don’t have a problem getting it . 
I saw the sophisticated Sophie lures when I was scrolling through but didn’t pay attention to them because I just thought they were for vertical fishing , didn’t realise the hooks go on top to help with snagging and they have magnets to keep the hooks fastened down , could be useful for fishing just above the bottom. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, neil r said:

That didn’t take long . 6 inch is a decent all round size aswell . What wood have you used 

It's poplar wood....I need to try a source the propeller  for the back yet ...found loads in the US  but none here yet...failing that I'll just have to get creative. ?

1 hour ago, kanny said:

It's poplar wood....I need to try a source the propeller  for the back yet ...found loads in the US  but none here yet...failing that I'll just have to get creative. ?

Do you through wire or use screw eyes , I’ve done a few and through wired them but I’ve noticed not many makers do that with wood lures so I’m going to try some longer screw eyes next time I make some . Need to look how to make a dryer though so I can paint and epoxy them rather than just sealing them and using jigskinz .

Spintec in ribchester do some 25mm ones if that will be big enough . Can’t copy and paste links for some reason tonight so I’ve took a screenshot . Lureparts.nl do bigger ones aswell 

0B1568DA-AE02-45E7-A8B9-129E1E0BB2C7.png

• Thanks 1