Lures,flies,floats and anything else your making for fishing

21 minutes ago, steve66 said:

What do they weigh Kanny ?, seen some nice custom lures in a orange/red and black tiger stripes , supose they represent perch under water but brighter maybe to stand out in darker waters 

50 to 70 grams ish ....funnily enough I was just looking at a perch pattern on YouTube  :thumbs:

• Like 2

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clear coated and tested ...runs a treat  

The first of five done ...this is all in colour shift paints so changes colour with the  angle of view.

Moving on from lifelong cumbrian fantastic spoon thread  I thought it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread for all things fishing that we make ourselves.  I've just started making some

Posted Images

2 hours ago, kanny said:

I'm still waiting on paint to arrive for the two above so I decided to make a start on something  different,  my take on the classic banana lure, I caught a lot of pike on one of these large  jointed  bananas  back in the day ,hopefully I can recreate  one , still a fair bit to do but its shaping up nice :thumbs:

20200630_181946_compress38.jpg

20200630_195359_compress46.jpg

20200630_212727_compress43.jpg

What are you making them out of, and are you carving by hand? Do you spray them for finish......is it something any numpty (me) could give a go or is this year's of carpentry put to task?

What i have seen of yours look mint and I could see it being a right buzz catching on a lure you have made yourself.?. Fancy having a go but don't know if I've got the tekkers! 

1 minute ago, ryaldinhio said:

What are you making them out of, and are you carving by hand? Do you spray them for finish......is it something any numpty (me) could give a go or is this year's of carpentry put to task?

What i have seen of hours look mint and I could see it being a right buzz catching on a lure you have made yourself.?. Fancy having a go but don't know if I've got the tekkers! 

I'm making these out of popular  or tulip wood as its sometimes known  but you could use pine, you don't want anything to dense and heavy as it effect the action , where you  put the lead and line tie ,angle of the lip, shape of the lip all have an effect on the action there is a science  to it but it's not rocket science and all the information is out there, YouTube is a great place to start. marlin baits is a good channel hes a talented guy I've learnt a lot from him .

I use a airbrush  to paint them  something I've never used up until a few weeks ago, they are a bit temperamental but once you get your head around them it gets easier  like anything there's a learning curve 

The carpentry side is pretty  basic  ive used the bandsaw at work  and I've used a jig saw at home to get the basic shape out you could use a hand fret saw  you don't need anything fancy  I then just do the rest of shaping up with  a Stanley knife  and sandpaper strips. 

Like I say watch a few vids from that marlin baits channel it will give you the whole process  and have a go ,you don't  need a  airbrush  to begin with  :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love it when someone who is obviously very good working with wood goes ,"yeah just basic carpentry"?I would have a big pile of kindling by now and an airbrush kit and carving tools all on ebay! 

Top work mate ,looking forward to seeing your latest creations ,and come winter seeing how well they work ! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had the afternoon painting one of the crank baits  today im still waiting for paint for the other one that I have planned  so decided to use what I had on this one, I wasn't sure what it would be when I started I just went with the flow and I think it turned out alright...I'm calling it my serpent fish ?

20200704_160824_compress63.jpg

20200704_160923_compress9.jpg

20200704_160945_compress47.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 04/07/2020 at 16:23, kanny said:

I had the afternoon painting one of the crank baits  today im still waiting for paint for the other one that I have planned  so decided to use what I had on this one, I wasn't sure what it would be when I started I just went with the flow and I think it turned out alright...I'm calling it my serpent fish ?

20200704_160824_compress63.jpg

20200704_160923_compress9.jpg

20200704_160945_compress47.jpg

Quality, clever bloke ,some top draw knife makers on here ,but as an angler these are just heaven! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 04/07/2020 at 17:06, myersbg said:

Char baits and the Arctic char

DSCN0231 (1).JPG

DSCN0239 (1).JPG

Would love to catch a char, is there any guides that take people out? I'm not usually one for needing my hand held but there aren't many opportunities about to catch one is there. I'm guessing one day there maybe no opportunity at all? Definitely on my bucket list 

• Like 1