Fighting dogs of great Britain an ireland

31 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

I'd ask 'how long ago'...

All I can see they've had threads on in the last 5 years claiming such things. 

Of course they could be making exaggerated claims but I don't think the family would give up the essence of what the breed was, they've just got to be smart how they go about things. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 2

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greg ,a boring old man story to illustrate my point .....many years ago I was having a natter with an old boy in the pub ,Henry Cooper s name came up ,and the fella mentioned he had sparred with him ,

Gotta laugh at people arguing about stuff because of what they've read somewhere when chances are theyve probably never even laod hands on a proper bulldog.

I was never really a fan of Staffords but they was a lovely little dog to shape up compared to bulldogs.....they always had that scatty over enthusiastic way about them whereas the bulldogs could be s

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, bird said:

spot on paul , ive got the colby book, and it great read, so is the stratton books good read , but both said, to keep in the fast lane with a bulldogs, you got to go where they been proper tested regular , not just a role in your back garden .?

A game dog is a game dog no matter where they are tested, I'm sure the Colby's know how to test their dogs Bird pal. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

These days i would believe that it was NOT the Scotsmans dog that bred Pye but he was out of Reid stuff. Wigan was a hotbed for bulldogs back in the 80's.

Though for many years it was said that it was Scotsmans Max, as the Scotsman kept both lurchers and terriers along with his bulldog Max. Which is all documented on the Gamedog forums.

Also Pye's first owner & breeder knew a couple of lads up north and Pye spent a bit of time in those kennels. It all added to the story.

I think we spoke about that before bosun and he being put at open stud as well it's a shame you didn't get anything out of ox in the end but there's some great write ups on gamedog 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, YOKEL said:

With no wind/mouth or ability, there's no probably about it, and that's not just in this day and age. 

What lads/kennels in the states that don't keep Colby dogs are stating their game? Sounds more like something out of the mouths of Colby fans who possibly do nowt with the dogs other than keeping the Peds pure. I may be wrong, just my opinion....

Yokel

I'm not looking for an argument but speaking as a man in Dixie Mr Yokel you are correct same as Mr Gnasher in my opinion.But they are useful hogdogs none the less.

1 hour ago, Bosun11 said:

I'd ask 'how long ago'...

? 

The last Colby crosses I heard of doing decent were colby bitches bred to a son off jeep.They are long gone and I didn't see them.

SIXBITS was bred to some Colby bitches but was mediocre at best.

In my opinion the best from this country wasn't made available to other Americans or  British. As with most dogmen some of  the best was never heard of as they didn't want to be heard of.That doesn't change their win record into fastlane.

One of the most competitive kennels here in 80-90s.Their bloodline was started from a bitch they bought from a drunken rodeo clown. 3 of the most winning kennels of 90s barely kept peds except in their head.

And before anyone thinks that jeep was a Colby cross research Bo's ped.Its basically common knowledge here that he is Cotton's Bullet bred.

Just my opinions

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I'm not looking for an argument but speaking as a man in Dixie Mr Yokel you are correct same as Mr Gnasher in my opinion.But they are useful hogdogs none the less.

? 

The last Colby crosses I heard of doing decent were colby bitches bred to a son off jeep.They are long gone and I didn't see them.

In my opinion the best from this country wasn't made available to other Americans or  British. As with most dogmen some of  the best was never heard of as they didn't want to be heard of.That doesn't change their win record into fastlane.

One of the most competitive kennels here in 80-90s.Their bloodline was started from a bitch they bought from a drunken rodeo clown. 3 of the most winning kennels of 90s barely kept peds except in their head.

And before anyone thinks that jeep was a Colby cross research Bo's ped.Its basically common knowledge here that he is Cotton's Bullet bred.

Just my opinions

Goodman Rick for the info, when was coblys dog at there peak 1900s was it pal? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

? 

Just my opinions

Again pal you're confusing performance for gameness. The people that own them have basically admitted that they're not up to much ability wise, they have no mouth or no wind. 

They do though still swear that they are game. Breeding that tight for so long it's inevitable that they will start losing ability. 

Ask the Staff lads over here, many of those were game animals but had nowhere near the ability of the APBT. 

Hell even some of the best Staffs the UK and Ireland have ever seen were only about as good as a poor to average APBT, that's coming from their owners. 

Nobody in their right mind would have a colby for a box dog, they have been out of the races for too long.

Edited by Greb147

From what I’ve read looking in as a novice on the Apbt,the Colby family were under tight scrutiny over,regular inspections etc and therefore had to have a tidy yard,nothing scarred up,equally to underline what Boss-Hog just said,it’s said that back to early 90’s a pure Colby was 3x the price of tested lines,so folks looking for sporting stuff just didn’t need to go there.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Francie said:

Goodman Rick for the info, when was coblys dog at there peak 1900s was it pal? 

1920-40s Tudor made a name for Colby dogs. Then Heinzl made a name for Colby.Then teal Then medlin.

Real dogmen from this sport rarely sell dogs.They will simply farm you a pup with no peds and tell you if you sell it they will shoot you

Technically speaking all bulldogs here have some Colby in them.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Astanley said:

Just on a side note swami ,I used to work just by the Confederate embassy ,I'm told it was the only confederate foreign embassy in the world .

You are correct.Thats very interesting.It was the only one.I would have loved to seen it in person ?

14 hours ago, dean1 said:

Just out of interest what year was Pye born.?i bred a very similar way bred litter  about 97 ,a dog and a bitch went up to Preston 

Not sure of the year Dean but the dog was bred in Wigan, 'maybe' a couple of years before that.

Some of the litter went to Preston and his breeder/owner had the same name as yours...

53 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Not sure of the year Dean but the dog was bred in Wigan, 'maybe' a couple of years before that.

Some of the litter went to Preston and his breeder/owner had the same name as yours...

I think the only one to go to Preston was Molly pye otter second mating owned by tb cod she was entered to early imo but didn't amount to much she was lined to jg spike a very good dog which was from the first lining which produced some very good dogs and bitches 

• Like 2