Fighting dogs of great Britain an ireland

On 13/06/2020 at 01:05, Elchapo said:

Was it definitely Scotsman’s max that sired the pye and otter , I know a lot lads said it but I was told by a mate who was mates with the lad who first owned pye and apparently the sire to pye was a black bull from Manchester called max 

I was told the same as you elchapo about the bull in Manchester and about max that's why I said it depends on who you talk to 

• Like 1

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greg ,a boring old man story to illustrate my point .....many years ago I was having a natter with an old boy in the pub ,Henry Cooper s name came up ,and the fella mentioned he had sparred with him ,

Gotta laugh at people arguing about stuff because of what they've read somewhere when chances are theyve probably never even laod hands on a proper bulldog.

I was never really a fan of Staffords but they was a lovely little dog to shape up compared to bulldogs.....they always had that scatty over enthusiastic way about them whereas the bulldogs could be s

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

If they were still producing deeply game dogs then somebody somewhere would be competing with them at a high level....and they're not.......a very game dog in the hands of a top conditioner is a hard pairing to beat and if they wasnt competing at that level in the 80's and 90's theres no reason to think they are now.

Have you heard of the saying a "game plug." 

From what I've read they are still  tested but seriously lack other qualities, out and out gameness just doesn't cut it these days. 

I think it's foolish to say that they can't be game bred just because they are not in fashion. 

I'd like to think the Colby's are still keeping the line going in more than just name. 

i Got it little mixed up , was told today that it was a buckskin brindle dog called max (Reid bred dog) not Scotsman max to a black greyhound bitch from Wigan/Manchester 

new i could remember black , max , Manchester ??

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Have you heard of the saying a "game plug." 

From what I've read they are still  tested but seriously lack other qualities, out and out gameness just doesn't cut it these days. 

I think it's foolish to say that they can't be game bred just because they are not in fashion. 

I'd like to think the Colby's are still keeping the line going in more than just name. 

And id like to think Santa Clause is real but unfortunately ive never seen him or even heard reports of sightings.

Again,if there were numbers of game Colby dogs out there people would be using them.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

And id like to think Santa Clause is real but unfortunately ive never seen him or even heard reports of sightings.

Again,if there were numbers of game Colby dogs out there people would be using them.

Well obviously you haven't been looking hard enough. 

Are you trying to say the lads in the States are lying about the line still throwing game dogs? 

From what I've read the Colby's are very careful with who they deal with, in the area where they live there has been lots of raids taking place. 

By all accounts they have no mouth and no wind, game or not you won't get very far with no ability. 

The lads have admitted in their pure form they probably couldn't compete in the fast lane. 

Edited by Greb147
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

Well obviously you haven't been looking hard enough. 

Are you trying to say the lads in the States are lying about the line still throwing game dogs? 

From what I've read the Colby's are very careful with who they deal with, in the area where they live there has been lots of raids taking place. 

By all accounts they have no mouth and no wind, game or not you won't get very far with no ability. 

The lads have admitted in their pure form they probably couldn't compete in the fast lane. 

With no wind/mouth or ability, there's no probably about it, and that's not just in this day and age. 

What lads/kennels in the states that don't keep Colby dogs are stating their game? Sounds more like something out of the mouths of Colby fans who possibly do nowt with the dogs other than keeping the Peds pure. I may be wrong, just my opinion....

Yokel

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, YOKEL said:

With no wind/mouth or ability, there's no probably about it, and that's not just in this day and age. 

What lads/kennels in the states that don't keep Colby dogs are stating their game? Sounds more like something out of the mouths of Colby fans who possibly do nowt with the dogs other than keeping the Peds pure. I may be wrong, just my opinion....

Yokel

Exactly what I'm saying, it's no good having a game plug in  cos you'll get nowhere. 

I don't know of any kennels that run that line, why would they when even the lads that own them admit they don't have much ability. 

They do claim they are game though and the colby's still stand by that. 

They are not stupid and won't go shouting to the world that they still breed game dogs given the situation over there, don't you think the authorities would love to get a scalp like that? 

I can only go by what I've heard buddy so I'll believe they still breed game dogs until someone proves otherwise. 

Edited by Greb147
22 hours ago, Elchapo said:

i Got it little mixed up , was told today that it was a buckskin brindle dog called max (Reid bred dog) not Scotsman max to a black greyhound bitch from Wigan/Manchester 

The bitch was called Maggie I believe chapo and worked 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Elchapo said:

These days i would believe that it was NOT the Scotsmans dog that bred Pye but he was out of Reid stuff. Wigan was a hotbed for bulldogs back in the 80's.

Though for many years it was said that it was Scotsmans Max, as the Scotsman kept both lurchers and terriers along with his bulldog Max. Which is all documented on the Gamedog forums.

Also Pye's first owner & breeder knew a couple of lads up north and Pye spent a bit of time in those kennels. It all added to the story.

2 hours ago, YOKEL said:

Yokel

I'd agree Yokel, from what i read, for many years now Colby blood is viewed by many like the holy grail of bulldog blood and its bred for purity not ability.

8 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

I'd agree Yokel, from what i read, for many years now Colby blood is viewed by many like the holy grail of bulldog blood and its bred for purity not ability.

That it is but pure or not if they claim to breed game dogs. I'll take their word for it until someone proves otherwise. 

There's a few on gamedog that claim to have owned good dogs bred by Colby. 

Edited by Greb147
1 minute ago, Bosun11 said:

spot on paul , ive got the colby book, and it great read, so is the stratton books good read , but both said, to keep in the fast lane with a bulldogs, you got to go where they been proper tested regular , not just a role in your back garden .?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Greb147 said:

That it is but pure or not if they claim to breed tested dogs I'll take their word for it until someone proves otherwise. 

There's a few gamedog that claim to have owned good dogs bred by Colby. 

I'd ask 'how long ago'...