13 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Short straw, do you use a anchor point and frame reference Ott ?.

Yes. I’ve seen people move there anchor point to achieve shooting higher or lower, but also seen where people use different reference points on there fork tip to active the same.

I have always used an anchor point and  top tip of band or tip of fork to determine height......catapult on its side, finger behind, thumb on front, and pinky hole I find useful.

I always wanted my face anchor point to be in the edge of my mouth, because I believe in my eyes this to be the most repeatable consistent place, but unfortunately for me when I try this I’m going way too high. My face anchor is the thing I struggle with the most, I’m just in the middle of trying  a new one. I was under my checkbone, but was still too high, I was having to aim above my fork tips to be accurate at height. I’ve just changed it again and now I’m just below my nose next to my cheek.....I need to repeat it a lot I think for it to feel natural because it doesn’t at the minute, but it’s the most consistent I’ve been at height.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

made a straddle from laburnum wood fits my hand a treat

I lost a bit of form recently so decided to use the gzk .66 that short straw sent me. I had a load of 7mm bearings that you get as freebies from balls of steel not doing anything so used them...WOW...

Tubes last longer, not as accurate some say......I don’t use tubes. Yes flat stuff equals bands. If you do buy a catapult try a scout copy off eBay.....they’re  vary in price...... but generally £8 -£

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Neal said:

With ttf my anchor point is the corner of my mouth and looking straight down the bands via the dent on the forks, whereas with ott I can only get close if I draw to the middle of my mouth or chin and work up or down visually from there. Makes it feel like I'm doing yoga in comparison.

That doesn’t sound right......I’m sure you can work around it.

Stick with ott for a while.

How do you hold your catapult?

One of the best things I did was to change to having my index finger wrap around and my thumb on the front. Can’t remember what style I used before but  it I wasn’t as consistent.

If your happy with ttf...then maybe just stick with it, If your not having hand hits etc and your hit rate it ok. However, it does sound strange that your having to anchor front of your mouth ott.

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 1

I've had a similar situation to you re anchor points i.e. at different stages mine's been edge of mouth, wedged up on cheek so that it sits behind teeth and a spot inbetween. The other odd thing was that, in the early days with the scout, I was getting more and more accurate until I was accurate almost every time but then I noticed that I was twisting the pouch anticlockwise a quarter turn so stopped doing it. Straight away the accuracy went. I did a bit of research on it and discovered that quite a few people prefer to add the twist. I tried it again with the new scout and it was better without the twist; weird!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Neal said:

I've had a similar situation to you re anchor points i.e. at different stages mine's been edge of mouth, wedged up on cheek so that it sits behind teeth and a spot inbetween. The other odd thing was that, in the early days with the scout, I was getting more and more accurate until I was accurate almost every time but then I noticed that I was twisting the pouch anticlockwise a quarter turn so stopped doing it. Straight away the accuracy went. I did a bit of research on it and discovered that quite a few people prefer to add the twist. I tried it again with the new scout and it was better without the twist; weird!

I naturally hold mine like you mention, slightly twisted anti clockwise, my wrist feels more naturally relaxed and I don’t have to think about it, slightly twist my forks in the same rotation, however I do exactly as you describe as well, switching to the thumb been at the top. Off top of my head I’m not sure which I do at the minute, I’ll check when I go out, but I’m pretty sure I twist my hand slightly anti clockwise as it fits more naturally on the anchor points.

Re grip, I think I hold it in a kind of open pincer grip i.e. thumb and first finger either side of forks at top but the other fingers feel more comfortable if they naturally fan out; so it's my lower palm that holds the bottom of the forks in place. I often find I'm more accurate if I "drop" the scout after firing too i.e. loose on the lanyard.

Never realised how difficult this is to describe as everybody's grip etc must be so natural that you don't consciously think about what you're actually doing.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1
On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 13:49, Mr Wilkes said:

You ever tried shooting instinctive Neal ?.

I always shot instinctive but since taking a new interest I have found I used to shoot left handed without knowing, but now because my eyesight has changed I cant hit a thing, so I am going to make a new one, or buy one for the other hand, I bet I cant play snooker left handed either and I could change at will when I played lol.

• Like 1

I started many years ago shooting instinctive but moved to both Ott and ttf , finally settling with Ott gangsta. On a good day I could hit anything but a bad day used to crusify me, same catty, same bands/ammo, same anchor/reference and it just didn’t happen !. It knocks your confidence. So I moved back to instinctive and for me the rest is history as they say. I would love to be able to shoot holding with my right hand ( I’m a lefty) it would open a lot of opportunities ( windows ?) . I may put a light set up on my spare scout and give it a go.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mr Wilkes said:

I started many years ago shooting instinctive but moved to both Ott and ttf , finally settling with Ott gangsta. On a good day I could hit anything but a bad day used to crusify me, same catty, same bands/ammo, same anchor/reference and it just didn’t happen !. It knocks your confidence. So I moved back to instinctive and for me the rest is history as they say. I would love to be able to shoot holding with my right hand ( I’m a lefty) it would open a lot of opportunities ( windows ?) . I may put a light set up on my spare scout and give it a go.

I thought it was just me. I am getting good accuracy ttf and I am getting a little ott. even though I am using same anchor point some days I am way off the mark, thinking do I need to change anchor but other days I am accurate. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

I nearly packed it all in Fred , sounds a bit drastic but that’s how it got me. I’m happy shooting instinctive with the scout now and won’t change. 

I think I'm going to go back to banding up both the Scouts and trying lots of different shooting styles with both, in case my instinctive approach has improved compared to either ott or ttf.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fred90 said:

I thought it was just me. I am getting good accuracy ttf and I am getting a little ott. even though I am using same anchor point some days I am way off the mark, thinking do I need to change anchor but other days I am accurate. 

The one big thing a lot of people miss out is how you release the pouch, we focus everything on what’s going on in front of us, but if your release is a bit jerky or inconsistent it will scatter your shots ????

• Like 2
On 24/07/2020 at 08:52, Greyman said:

The one big thing a lot of people miss out is how you release the pouch, we focus everything on what’s going on in front of us, but if your release is a bit jerky or inconsistent it will scatter your shots ????

I’ve found that’s my biggest fault exactly what you described.......I spend most of my time at the minute trying to sort an anchor point that’s allowing me to hit vertical targets I forget about my release and end up pulling through and you can guarantee when I have bad miss it’s because of this.