Developed a limp

So my dog has come stiff and limping on his front right shoulder. It's when he's been laying down first time I sort of thought maybe layed on it funny but not gone away he's not running anything like he dose in the season and when he's out and about or even round the house he's been fine just when he gets up after laying down and it's not just on hard floor he limps when he gets off the sofa aswell? Any ideas? I'm going to lead walk for a week or so see if that makes a difference as this morning I notice he seemed stiff while walking next to me but not when he's trotting away. I was thinking early signs of arthritis maybe? I'm really hoping not he's just turned 3 so should be fit as a fiddle. He's not knocked it or anything that I've seen either 

1 hour ago, Saltmoon said:

So my dog has come stiff and limping on his front right shoulder. It's when he's been laying down first time I sort of thought maybe layed on it funny but not gone away he's not running anything like he dose in the season and when he's out and about or even round the house he's been fine just when he gets up after laying down and it's not just on hard floor he limps when he gets off the sofa aswell? Any ideas? I'm going to lead walk for a week or so see if that makes a difference as this morning I notice he seemed stiff while walking next to me but not when he's trotting away. I was thinking early signs of arthritis maybe? I'm really hoping not he's just turned 3 so should be fit as a fiddle. He's not knocked it or anything that I've seen either 

Might have picked up a injury throughout the season that’s gone undetected see if you can get to a bone man might be a torn muscle 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Saltmoon said:

Had exactly the same as your discribing he was fine after a little bit of rabbiting work we done this season. I think he slid on hard floor in house that caused it, anyways lead walks and trotting him on bike seems to have sorted it out took about 8 weeks mind.

Now he's back with free roam of a 6 acre every day and not a sign of a limp.

• Like 1

Hopefully not arthritis. Similar problem with my dog. Unfortunately I put him in the situation for it to happen by going out several times a week very early in the morning during May. The ground is way too hard and often cloddy around here for running rabbit and although he is in great shape with good feet after two weeks he was lame. Sorting it has been dull and cost money. lead walking only, not even allowed to run free in the back garden as he arses about and its small so he is turning every few strides. Also painkillers from the vet. On / off recovery but he's walking sound for several days in a row after 3 weeks ?... although I wont be running him hard again until the ground softens

23 hours ago, poxon said:

Might have picked up a injury throughout the season that’s gone undetected see if you can get to a bone man might be a torn muscle 

And a good vet, bone man don't always get it right, get a greyhound vet, to check it over, either way I rest him till August, then  couple weeks trotting with a bike. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bird said:

And a good vet, bone man don't always get it right, get a greyhound vet, to check it over, either way I rest him till August, then  couple weeks trotting with a bike. 

I agree with ray ..  a good running dog vet is far better to see than a bone man 

• Like 1

Could be any number of things, running dog vet is good advice, but majority of injuries like that it’s just resting. If I were you I’d have a good feel about see if you can locate the problem area. Once you’ve found it id rub on trainers choice in the morning then odzon 50/50 with water at night, every day for a fortnight while keeping him to 2 short lead walks a day (a mile each time or something).

If youre anywhere near Cumbria id go see Steven Atkinson he’s no bone man but his thermal camera is top class for picking up injuries.

If no obvious injury is present then you can rule that out and start looking for other things.

Edited by Shadow100

Been to the vets they took him in while I waited outside checked him over good for me and they said it's more then likely deep broozing lead walk him for 4 weeks and that should fix it so I will see I suppose. It only got me confused because normally his is totally fine if he's had a run after a ball or something then he seems to get it 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Saltmoon said:

Been to the vets they took him in while I waited outside checked him over good for me and they said it's more then likely deep broozing lead walk him for 4 weeks and that should fix it so I will see I suppose. It only got me confused because normally his is totally fine if he's had a run after a ball or something then he seems to get it 

Where about in south west are you?

4 hours ago, Saltmoon said:

Hope everything works out for you and he back with no problems soon Atb Igz

• Like 1

I've had him on the lead for a.cpuple of days already just watched him get up and walk without a limp ?‍♂️ I'll keep him on the lead for 4 weeks like the vet said hopefully see him sorted ready for the season 

• Like 1