Help needed I have just stripped the above air rifle re-blued it stripped the stock I if I say so my self it looks good, I rebuild it putting a new spring, top hat, new piston seal, the piston seal is leather which I soaked in neatsfoot oil, I put half a dozen pellets through it and was only getting 6 flb then it dropped to 3 flb any idea what could be causing the low power and is there anything that I could do to improve it, I thought about putting a new piston head with a o ring instead of the leather one ???

Is the new spring the same size as the old one?

Was the piston seal tight?

Is there any dieseling or anything else coming out of the end of the barrel that could effect the chrono readings?

Are the sensors on the chrono clean?

Although it's nice to keep to the original spec', I'd put the new piston seal and head on if it was mine.

Good luck :thumbs:

Stripped it down again and. Found the top hat which was recommend had smashed into 4 pieces, so rebuilt and fired a few shots to get rid of the dieseling, chroned again and was getting any where from 5flb to 10 flb but only had a few pellets left but they were a mixed bag from a mate, so I have ordered some pellets so will retest as so has i can if it is still up and down on flb I will fit a new type piston head.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, airbourne said:

Stripped it down again and. Found the top hat which was recommend had smashed into 4 pieces, so rebuilt and fired a few shots to get rid of the dieseling, chroned again and was getting any where from 5flb to 10 flb but only had a few pellets left but they were a mixed bag from a mate, so I have ordered some pellets so will retest as so has i can if it is still up and down on flb I will fit a new type piston head.

I’d put a couple of hundred pellets through it to bed it in before you worry too much about consistency. That leather seal will need a bit of time.  Don’t know what calibre yours is, but the meteors I’ve had tended to run at around 8.5 - 9.5 ft lb in .22

23 hours ago, airbourne said:

Will do has soon as I get the pellets it is a 22, I only have 177 for the wildcat, been told rws superdomes work well in them ?

I’ve been told so. I always used to use the original eley wasp in my meteors and airsporters but they were still in production then. They were a proper fit for the old .22 bsa barrels being 5.6mm old .22 size bore.

Finally got some decent pellets and chroned the old girl rws superdomes 14.5 gr average flb was 10.284 over the moon with that and a close second was some accupell 14.3 gr average flb was 9.998 which a chap at work gave me.

• Like 1