After what looked like was going to b a good year for the rabbits locally,  good number of young ones and as many I have seen in years, the past few nights whike walking I have been finding rabbits with the early stages of myxi, all this years which I thought was strange. Probably the earliest I have seen it, normally it hits around August time. Anybody else seen any signs of it yet? 

• Like 1

I think it's got a lot to do with climate change,warmer temps combined with a wet environment means more mozzies and fleas to spread diseases.When it's cold and dry here the numbers increase,even in drought then plummet when the rain comes.

• Like 2

No signs recently but the end of February just before we finished up for the season mixi was rife round my way it’s like in waves round here with a mix of vhd Virus once any summer numbers start building up a bit then mixi comes in to take a few more out the equation. I’ve been asking my self what is the point in a smaller dog bred as a rabbit dog for the last 2yrs it almost becoming pointless owning dogs bred for just that job a lot of these dogs for the job can’t be worked All that hard to any extent on rabbits if there’s not many about to work them on 

20151003_084845.jpg.22742ea2abdb4fb5a01de253b090b4a2.jpgThe  reason I don't keep just rabbit dogs, or encourage my terriers to bush... Never had that many local, but this yr seems to be a good amount about.. I take the odd 1 for ferret food but will be travelling for my sport like I've done the last 25 yrs... 

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

20151003_084845.jpg.22742ea2abdb4fb5a01de253b090b4a2.jpgThe  reason I don't keep just rabbit dogs, or encourage my terriers to bush... Never had that many local, but this yr seems to be a good amount about.. I take the odd 1 for ferret food but will be travelling for my sport like I've done the last 25 yrs... 

We ain’t got no numbers local just pockets here an there to tick over steady on. I’d be doing the same I’m gunner get back on the gateway crack freelance with my mate I think in this day an age flexibility an availability is the key to push forward we got permissions between us we’re we can both go no bother for a steady lamp but I think that adrenaline rush being were your not meant to be adds to the excitement of it all of the thrill of the chase I know loads of un gated spots in a motor quick shine then on to the next it’s be handy instead of walking to local spots an exhausting them it’d add more to the land available to run dogs over any how

• Like 1
3 hours ago, poxon said:

No signs recently but the end of February just before we finished up for the season mixi was rife round my way it’s like in waves round here with a mix of vhd Virus once any summer numbers start building up a bit then mixi comes in to take a few more out the equation. I’ve been asking my self what is the point in a smaller dog bred as a rabbit dog for the last 2yrs it almost becoming pointless owning dogs bred for just that job a lot of these dogs for the job can’t be worked All that hard to any extent on rabbits if there’s not many about to work them on   

I find a small dog ideal for mooching. they will kill rats, squirrels get you the odd pheasant. rabbit numbers are bad but it's never dull with a little dog. I see were you are coming from with a bigger all round dog and would love to go back to how things were. trouble today is do gooders with mobile phones. Good luck freelancing its all I have ever done but now its a moochers little dog for me. 

• Like 1

Yea small dog for me next time. Small scruff arse might even got the whole hog and just get a gundog as do fair bit of shooting now. Plus a little busher type would be good for a bit  of day time netting ;) and fine for ferreting 

• Like 1

I have always had to travel for decent numbers of rabbits aswell but it was good to see a local population getting up, kept the dogs intrested on walks ect . Be lucky to get a few with the pup on the lamp August/September time the way it’s looking just now with the myxi