Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, D Lloyd said:

Got a shit that will swims across a lake for them geese and ducks had to run in and get him off few times

The dogs backing down to a swan?i hope it never meets anything with more aptitude than a big duck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
44 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I think Anastasia had the good of the breed in mind when she got permission from the K.C. to add the greyhound blood.

She was, rightly, concerned that the deerhound was becoming to "cloddy" and " Irish Wolfhound like".

I think they could do with that again, or the addition of a good half cross, if one could be found.

Cheers.

What the Deerhound and Deerhound x need is more people to be out grafting them,the lads that where out grafting them properly are either out the dogs now or rip. There are still a few lads working them but the majority of owners imo would be better off with a little rabbiting dog. It's beats the point of adding anything to the Deerhound if there not going to be tested . jmo

Edited by MickC
  • Like 5
39 minutes ago, MickC said:

Also Bloodhound and Pyreneese and Borzoi in the "modern" Deerhound and no doubt other stuff added that's not been documented. A "modern" Deerhound does not even resemble the original type. ? An old pic from OCB site .

IMG_1435.JPG

As you say the old deerhound stuff decent animal shame they went the way they did used to like the deerhound n there crosses remember a couple of useful ones not seen any guddens for well over 20 year now tho, nice easy goin temp as well.

13 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

As Iv said before anyone wanting to add a bit pace to their deerhounds Iv straws at Meerfield Stud off England Expects a Blue 73lb Champion Open Race Competition dog that was by the Double Derby winning Westmead Hawk.

I don't want a bean for the straws but you would obviously have to pay The facility at Meerfield for the implant .

Generous offer that, did you never contemplate getting hold of a decent saluki to try putting him to...

53 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Yep and he took a pic of her down the Dales way back and she was shining like a shit house door the way the sun caught her in the pic ?

But was she black or FAWN?

2 hours ago, morton said:

The dogs backing down to a swan?i hope it never meets anything with more aptitude than a big duck.

Really ???

The dog was broke to em and did that daily In summer with that youngster it's father and it's dam I'm glad you can surmise from a pic ???

It's not backing down trust me she could do teeth no worries that's a play bow if you know what one is ?

Edited by juckler123
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I did a post one time, on another site; " Are Pures Realy That Pure".

I traced the lineage of my half cross bitch back to the 1800's. Quite easy, really , Greyhound Data and the Deerhound Stud book are very accurate.

Anyhow, The deerhound side of my bitch goes back to when Noble introduced the greyhound blood, and in the greyhound side there is Orfords bull, and "Scottish Greyhound" and one listed as "Rough Greyhound ".

So, if you go back far enough, you find that pures ain't so pure !

Cheers.

That's well interesting chartpolski ?

I don't like KC I think it stands for killing club ?

Only way to keep any strain going imho is to add an outcross then go back to the original line to keep what you had in the first place.

The salukis to me are just middle East lurchers and the resurrection of the deerhound makes them northern UK lurchers to be fair.

I know a few Yorkshire lads with class deerhounds not too big and very game animals they are of Irish breeding coming from English and Scottish stock originally but definitely the real deal rough hounds still that do what it says on the tin ?

Interesting what you say about "Middle East lurchers".

Some years back I was with Hamed Ghunaim at his Arabian Saluki Centre in Abu Dhabi and two men from Oman arrived to have a bitch mated with one of his dogs. He refused to let the mating take place because they couldn't prove the lineage of their bitch.

He told me that when they started racing the Salukis out there, some owners added greyhound, but this was banned and dogs were DNA tested to keep the breed pure.

Cheers.

10 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Interesting what you say about "Middle East lurchers".

Some years back I was with Hamed Ghunaim at his Arabian Saluki Centre in Abu Dhabi and two men from Oman arrived to have a bitch mated with one of his dogs. He refused to let the mating take place because they couldn't prove the lineage of their bitch.

He told me that when they started racing the Salukis out there, some owners added greyhound, but this was banned and dogs were DNA tested to keep the breed pure.

Cheers.

Is there a reason why the breed needs to be kept 100% pure? That sounds more like a kennel club sort of set up than trying to breed good working dogs if that makes sense.

I think breeding is important to an extent, but i don’t think it’s all it’s made out to be, some of the best dogs I’ve seen have been scatterbred worker x worker, and I’ve seen dogs that are very well bred on paper and they couldnt kill a hare in a phone box full of snow. 

If I was breeding a litter and had the choice to use something average but “well bred” or something top class of unknown breeding, it would be the hard grafted mongrel every time. 

42 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Is there a reason why the breed needs to be kept 100% pure? That sounds more like a kennel club sort of set up than trying to breed good working dogs if that makes sense.

I think breeding is important to an extent, but i don’t think it’s all it’s made out to be, some of the best dogs I’ve seen have been scatterbred worker x worker, and I’ve seen dogs that are very well bred on paper and they couldnt kill a hare in a phone box full of snow. 

If I was breeding a litter and had the choice to use something average but “well bred” or something top class of unknown breeding, it would be the hard grafted mongrel every time. 

well said, but as I have said be fore  good hare killers with no good breeding often don't produce, you cant beat generations of good blood and I  AM NOT saying breed from untested stock, but trust the blood. and as for having lurcher blood that's where it all began.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, two crows said:

well said, but as I have said be fore  good hare killers with no good breeding often don't produce, you cant beat generations of good blood and I  AM NOT saying breed from untested stock, but trust the blood. and as for having lurcher blood that's where it all began.

I agree with that about producing lines, but where I think people go wrong is saying “it’s not done much that dog but it’s really well bred”. How many times can you do that before you end up having to go 3 or 4 generations back to find a dog that was actually tested properly. 

A good line it’s a great thing, but if the lads aren’t testing the stock on the ground at the moment it won’t stay a good line for long, it’s grandparents cant kill for it. 

Suppose there’s a lot more to it that just killing ability though, a dog can be really injury prone but if the owner doesn’t run it enough to find out they’ll never know. Then they breed from it and it passes those qualities down to its pups and so on. 

Breeding pups is a lottery at the best of times but if people are breeding off dogs that been out once a month theyd be as well saving themselves the bother & buying something out the countrymans weekly 

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

No Dodger I did not' anyone with a decent Saluki who fancies a first cross could use a straw.

As has been said Deerhounds really could do with a injection of quality Greyhound blood and that England Expects was as good a Stayer as there was in the UK at his peak with the breeding to back him up ?

Max, was it art banksy or england expects that was the marathon dog?

Getting back to the question; "pure breeds, where would we be without them"; well, without the base running breeds, greyhounds, whippets, Deerhounds, Salukis, etc, its simple......we wouldn't have lurchers !

Theres a school of thought that lurchers are now fast enough to not need any addition of running dog, and I can go along with that, but personally I like to see an outcross to a pure now and again, if only to add a bit of hybrid vigour.

Youve now got the likes of the coursing dogs and the non-ped whippets that are almost recognisable as separate breeds from the lurcher and the whippet, and could be utilised as a base breed instead of the traditional " pures".

Just my own personal opinion on an excellent thread.

Cheers.

• Like 3