Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

16 minutes ago, morton said:

Can you imagine going back a couple of centuries and owning a proper deerhound?.

In one pal ? 

Proper hounds not resurected with collie and greyhound blood like Noble did bless her .

And food for a week not for a day am with you pal.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Prefer the smooths juckler, but there are some nice hounds there ?

Smooth or feathered pal there is no.difference if u have a pair of scissors ?

I cut all my lots tails and ears in winter a tail can hold a pound weight of plough and a tail is a balance nothing more nothing less with a running dog ?

They don't need to look fluffy they need to perform.as you know ,?

Edited by juckler123
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

In one pal ? 

Proper hounds not resurected with collie and greyhound blood like Noble did bless her .

When Deerhounds where Deerhounds and not the soppy long legged,weak skulled,work shy,shivery,and shallow examples that define them now,ill warrant the herding types wandering the highlands played their part in the Deerhounds claim to fame,as the finest Deerhoundy lurchers plying their trade now often have the advantage of the herder in their blood.The nearest example to a proper Deerhound to me is Collie based.

46 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

In one pal ? 

I think Anastasia had the good of the breed in mind when she got permission from the K.C. to add the greyhound blood.

She was, rightly, concerned that the deerhound was becoming to "cloddy" and " Irish Wolfhound like".

I think they could do with that again, or the addition of a good half cross, if one could be found.

Cheers.

• Like 1
On 30/05/2020 at 20:10, morton said:

When Deerhounds where Deerhounds and not the soppy long legged,weak skulled,work shy,shivery,and shallow examples that define them now,ill warrant the herding types wandering the highlands played their part in the Deerhounds claim to fame,as the finest Deerhoundy lurchers plying their trade now often have the advantage of the herder in their blood.The nearest example to a proper Deerhound to me is Collie based.

As much as  I want to disagree with you, I can't.

Edited by shaaark
On 30/05/2020 at 20:21, chartpolski said:

I think Anastasia had the good of the breed in mind when she got permission from the K.C. to add the greyhound blood.

She was, rightly, concerned that the deerhound was becoming to "cloddy" and " Irish Wolfhound like".

I think they could do with that again, or the addition of a good half cross, if one could be found.

Cheers.

Chartski  you should know, that even YEARS ago, 'pure' deerhounds were not that common, even before they were crossed with collies etc.

Edited by shaaark
On 30/05/2020 at 20:23, maxhardcore said:

Last time I seen a pic of a running dog shining like that it was Tomo's Visa.

Sort your eyes out fella, tomo's visa was fawn.

Edited by shaaark
1 hour ago, juckler123 said:

In one pal ? 

Also Bloodhound and Pyreneese and Borzoi in the "modern" Deerhound and no doubt other stuff added that's not been documented. A "modern" Deerhound does not even resemble the original type. ? An old pic from OCB site .

IMG_1435.JPG

Edited by MickC
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Chartski  you should know, that even YEARS ago, 'pure' deerhounds were not that common, even before they were crossed with collies etc

I did a post one time, on another site; " Are Pures Realy That Pure".

I traced the lineage of my half cross bitch back to the 1800's. Quite easy, really , Greyhound Data and the Deerhound Stud book are very accurate.

Anyhow, The deerhound side of my bitch goes back to when Noble introduced the greyhound blood, and in the greyhound side there is Orfords bull, and "Scottish Greyhound" and one listed as "Rough Greyhound ".

So, if you go back far enough, you find that pures ain't so pure !

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, juckler123 said:

I battered mine pal the dog was far too fast and suffered injuries but came back from them the bitch never got injured but bust a toe in summer time when not working that ended her running days that's dogs for you the dog could still run sixes winter before I put him down turned like a bus but as game as anything I've ever owned and as biddable too ?

IMG_20151209_120051295.jpg

One of my old coursing bred dogs could really run, but it was so injury prone you could never get it right, had to be pet homed in the end. After all what good is a classy runner when it spends half its season in the sick bay

Putting a bit of lurcher x lurcher blood back in seems to throw a tougher type. I’m a big fan of 1st & even 2nd cross saluki x greyhounds though, In my experience they wouldn’t match a line bred coursing hybrid on big land  because they lack the wind these types have, but all round they’re a much more durable animal and the ones ive seen have a bit of fire in them.

5 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

I know of an half cross deerhoundy that as more to offer than anything KC bred,it looks like an early bred deerhound,it runs like an early bred deerhound,it kills with the same aptitude that Deerhounds were once bred for and eats and shits like a working mutt once was required to do,at 28" and 80lb and with a Collie and saluki infusion its probably less Deerhound than many would recognise,when the big fella gets in gear,geez the fat twat owns the gearbox,when he gets behind hard,hard gallops,he,s a Deerhound,especially when he catches what many a mutt would fail to gain the yards on,then the Deerhond lineage  and factor kicks in.I like proper uns,the rest are bred for dollar and the south yorkshire crew make a living out of them.

Best modern "pure" Deerhound I ever seen on the job was an AW bred bitch,lived right amongst it all and was a good producer also till some toff shot her . I also seen another male "pure" owned by the same man that could do the job but would only jump when chasing and ended up an out and out dog killer that put paid to some very promising young dogs . ?

Edited by MickC
  • Like 1