Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

3 hours ago, mC HULL said:

The Society regards the word Saluki and the  word Tazi as linguistic identifiers for the same hunting hound of the Middle East. The differences seen in coat, color, and degree of feathering are a combination of strain selection for a particular geographic area and coat genetics.  The Saluki/Tazi has historically had two coat expressions with the smooth coat being genetically dominant. Both coat expressions occur in all populations.

Interesting, in Arabic the words saluki and sloughi are the same, have the same meaning, just pronounced differently in North African Arabic and Gulf Arabic dialects. Just like for "chicken", an Egyptian will say "dégag" and a Saudi will say "dejaz", but they understand each other.

Forget Google, every Arab enthusiast I've met will say the saluki and sloughi are the same, the differences are cosmetic due to selective breeding for their area. 

Plus, because of trade routes etc, the Saluki, sloughi, azawakh, tazi, Afghan will have been traded and inter bred for centuries. The galgos was more than likely taken to Iberia by the moors.

Bit pointless quoting DNA and Google.

Just my opinion, of course ?

Cheers.

• Like 4

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, sandymere said:

The greyhound and a couple of closely related breeds are unique amongst the sighthounds in having collies as their source so are relatively young compared to the ancient sighhounds. The ancestors of salukis,  Tazy, sloughis and Galgos etc had no collie intermediary.

But the greyhound became the fastest dog that has or will exist, a supreme athlete.

As to Celtic origin?

The earliest writing on coursing predates the Greyhound and Arrian, an adviser to the emperor Hadrian describes "Gauls" running hares to rules and of sighthounds in northern Spain. 

The Greyhound came about after Rome conquered the great majority of Celtic nations and they that we have likely to thank for the early development of the Greyhound in Britain after their invasion. They were great coursers and knew the ancient breeds from their empire further afield and likely set out to produce a  coursing dog to hunt the hare's they also introduced to Britain. 

Did the greyhound, our "greyhound", not become the fastest through being developed purely for sport in the British Isles since the 18th century? Hare coursing under rules and of course on the track in 20th century. Selective breeding for specific, slightly artificial competition (100% artificial in regard to the track) rather than purely in the field. Perhaps any of the sight hound types being developed under those criteria with time and money spent would have produced the fasted of all dogs?

1 minute ago, eastcoast said:

Did the greyhound, our "greyhound", not become the fastest through being developed purely for sport in the British Isles since the 18th century? Hare coursing under rules and of course on the track in 20th century. Selective breeding for specific, slightly artificial competition (100% artificial in regard to the track) rather than purely in the field. Perhaps any of the sight hound types being developed under those criteria with time and money spent would have produced the fasted of all dogs?

The pug tho mate 

14 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Interesting, in Arabic the words saluki and sloughi are the same, have the same meaning, just pronounced differently in North African Arabic and Gulf Arabic dialects. Just like for "chicken", an Egyptian will say "dégag" and a Saudi will say "dejaz", but they understand each other.

Forget Google, every Arab enthusiast I've met will say the saluki and sloughi are the same, the differences are cosmetic due to selective breeding for their area. 

Plus, because of trade routes etc, the Saluki, sloughi, azawakh, tazi, Afghan will have been traded and inter bred for centuries. The galgos was more than likely taken to Iberia by the moors.

Bit pointless quoting DNA and Google.

Just my opinion, of course ?

Cheers.

good post charts saluki tazi afghan etc were about well before a galgos 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I honestly wouldn't know that.I was just giving my personal opinion on what I know.

Cheers.

?i’ve read bits about them chart they recon they are about a thousand year old breed 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Black neck said:

The pug tho mate 

Is the pug a sight hound? Suppose they do have eyes. My point was, the "greyhound" was developed into the fasted breed of dog in the world (from scratch up to 100m the Whippet?) simply because we were odd and driven/obsessed with creating the best in the glory days of empire. And the elite had the time, money and resources to make it happen. 

Prior to that time was the "indigenous" celtic greyhound type quicker in a straight line than the various other sorts of sight hounds indigenous to the rest of the world>

Edited by eastcoast
Just now, eastcoast said:

Is the pug a sight hound? Suppose they do have eyes. My point was, the "greyhound" was developed into the fasted breed of dog in the world (from scratch up to 100m the Whippet?) simply because we were odd and driven/obsessed with creating the best in the glory days of empire. And the elite had the time, money and resources to make it happen. 

None of them started off as sighthounds tho mate they evolved from wolves and fox's 

50 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Possibly yes any dog could be bred the same. The greyhound, has become the racer rather than the courser.

3 minutes ago, Black neck said:

None of them started off as sighthounds tho mate they evolved from wolves and fox's 

I was eluding to that period of time when dogs, horses, cattle, sheep etc were developed to perfection by the British (and Anglo Irish). Surpassed what had existed before. Something that pissed the Germans off and they had a go in 1930's but went too far and failed miserably.

21 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Prior to that time was the "indigenous" celtic greyhound type quicker in a straight line than the various other sorts of sight hounds indigenous to the rest of the world>

a whippet isn’t faster then a grey over 100m 

3 hours ago, eastcoast said:

I was eluding to that period of time when dogs, horses, cattle, sheep etc were developed to perfection by the British (and Anglo Irish). Surpassed what had existed before. Something that pissed the Germans off and they had a go in 1930's but went too far and failed miserably.

Oh I see what u mean