Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

2 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

A bloke who learned me all about training greyhounds early doors was very knowledgable re hares' he studied them for years.

His thoughts were that as a rule the 6-7lb Hares were the better test.

The real large ones not so much and the smaller weaker ones again as a rule not so much a test .

As you say where they live and their diet must come into play and how often they have been hunted and escaped too imo as edication has also got to be a factor as well as the basics of been bred down off good stock ?

Spot on max just like us and the hounds genetic memory is a great factor lots of hares now know how to suff in drains and holes ?

I never believed such things till my old strain of lurcher if they had a bunny in bramble they'd use their feet to get em to bolt I saw that pass down three generations you can't teach a dog to do that learnt me a lot at the time pal I can tell you ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Just the way I look at it, if I want a pup that’s going to run in the UK, why look abroad when there’s lines of hybrid lurchers that have been doing well in the UK for the past 30-40 years. Almost feels like trying to reinvent the wheel when there’s no need to.

Also can’t help but notice a lot of the foreign stuff looks very weak. When it’s cold & wet, a bit of substance can go a long way

One million percent yes Shadow ?

They have to run in slop here no firm ground in winter the best in the states are tepe gwara bred same as our pures I know I have best mates that win mixed comps there but ours are bred to do the job here forty plus years of doing just that makes a big difference I have had middle eastern bred types that were biddable but lacked a gear on clay land and I've never yet seen an import do what a home bred line can.

I also agree why reinvent the wheel but imho the Saluki lurchers are just becoming British salukis in reality give one a go pal you won't look back don't believe what's been written bud ?

2 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Yep that is all true but you can't beat nature, if there's more athletically gifted Hares and Jack Rabbits than the Brown Hare then they would be more of a test for the dogs. 

I have read that the Jack Rabbit is faster and has more stamina than the Brown Hare, you would only know for sure though if you ran them. 

Best answer pal I have had this argument for years I have mates in Nevada that run single handed and will hopefully go and see but they are living on grass and sage I reckon our English browns that's on broccoli carrots etc would outdo them stamina wise like you say only way to know us go and do it thank you loads ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, two crows said:

I agree with that regards having pures around for an outcross, it strikes me that over the years,however line breds  have been bred together with the occasional saluki out cross so must be almost genetically saluki, yet are in most cases so different from pures.

I thought like that bud I was surprised to find out I was totally wrong ?

2 hours ago, sandymere said:

Pure won't die out there's thousands of saluki types in the middle east and Sloughis in North Africa. Thousands of Galgos in Spain and greyhounds in UK etc. IMG_20190910_175525.jpg.a01bcd06d9df10fcc523137ea30e0bc5.jpg

In North Africa they hybridis them to make a general purpose type. 

IMG_20200521_092108.jpg.218085c5d9254259ca3b7e7b01240d74.jpg

A mix of saluki x galgo is popular with or without Sloughi. 

IMG_20200530_142929.jpg.54e86106cf5d480a46365d141b07cc3c.jpgIMG_20200530_143001.jpg.ad16452b5c517303d656a2d13b900874.jpg

We have a tendency to forget we've just a part of the bigger coursing world. 

Glad  you mentioned the sloughis bud 

All generic drop eared sighthounds are just lurchers to me to be fair whether tazi taigan sloughi Saluki Afghan etc just lurchers from the east.

The crusaders brought them back here a thousand years ago to prove they'd been on crusades ?

The thing they all miss all except the lads that hunt for food is what they really bring to the table their stamina everyone gets that but their ability to herd just like a collie dog and their intelligence to read the land and catch what they are slipped on 

If you are in the UK perhaps we could meet up and have a walk out with your galgo and my Saluki then put it to the test I really would like to see a galgo in action here to me they are the same as UK coursing hounds when run solo ?

2 hours ago, sandymere said:

Different games, one dog to run against the hare,  2 dogs to compete against each other. Each has its own merit and shortcomings. I've run a coursing galgo, used to competition in Spain then solo over here, she won competitions over there and caught game over here and soon learned to run solo?

I've seen more slow clever dogs win coursing comps on points pal I mean no disrespect but cmon lad FFS ?

Doubled up is not the way ever ?

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

One million percent yes Shadow ?

They have to run in slop here no firm ground in winter the best in the states are tepe gwara bred same as our pures I know I have best mates that win mixed comps there but ours are bred to do the job here forty plus years of doing just that makes a big difference I have had middle eastern bred types that were biddable but lacked a gear on clay land and I've never yet seen an import do what a home bred line can.

I also agree why reinvent the wheel but imho the Saluki lurchers are just becoming British salukis in reality give one a go pal you won't look back don't believe what's been written bud ?

I’ve steered away from coursing bred dogs mate, I think in this day and age you’ll do very well to find a durable one that can do a full season without significant lay offs. A lot of them run lovely on a big seed but they’re soft made no getting away from it. I believe that’s a man made problem as well but I won’t go in to it and ruin this thread. 

I wouldn’t have a lurcher without saluki blood in for what I do but it’s worth saying I think ‘home bred saluki lurchers’ and ‘coursing dogs’ are totally different things. This is only my opinion not saying it’s right for everyone. 

A good tested line of saluki/grey and a splash of tough old lurcher x lurcher blood is more my sort of thing

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

I've seen more slow clever dogs win coursing comps on points pal I mean no disrespect but cmon lad FFS ?

Doubled up is not the way ever ?

As you say a hare will only run as fast as it's pushed to much speed can be as detrimental as not enough and brains will kill you more decent hares than speed alone obviously a lot more to it but just quoting you on the speed factor there..

• Like 1

I can't fault that thought Shadow  I ran with those crosses for four decades if it's not broke don't fix it biggest respect to you and I hope you never lose what you have ???

Edited by juckler123
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, dodger said:

As you say a hare will only run as fast as it's pushed to much speed can be as detrimental as not enough and brains will kill you more decent hares than speed alone obviously a lot more to it but just quoting you on the speed factor there..

Thanks Dodger you know the score bud ?

24 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

Glad  you mentioned the sloughis bud 

All generic drop eared sighthounds are just lurchers to me to be fair whether tazi taigan sloughi Saluki Afghan etc just lurchers from the east.

The crusaders brought them back here a thousand years ago to prove they'd been on crusades ?

The thing they all miss all except the lads that hunt for food is what they really bring to the table their stamina everyone gets that but their ability to herd just like a collie dog and their intelligence to read the land and catch what they are slipped on 

If you are in the UK perhaps we could meet up and have a walk out with your galgo and my Saluki then put it to the test I really would like to see a galgo in action here to me they are the same as UK coursing hounds when run solo ?

Nice offer that jucks be interesting to see what there like for sure.