Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

3 minutes ago, Gene said:

Really, so you'd saluki if you were thinking of crossing with non sighthound blood, they wouldn't have the pace.

i wouldn’t ever need to x to a dog that wasn’t already heavily sighthound why would i 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Now this is just my opinion, and others may disagree, but I think racing bred whippets are faster than working bred, but lack the stamina of the working type.

Ive seen working types lamp rabbits all night, but the racing types seem to tire a lot quicker.

I used racing types for daytime hare and lamping, but they were the non-ped type, not pedigree whippets.

Cheers.

What is your opinion on non peds charts ie stamina and durability compared to show racing or working whippets and do you think many are worked these days or do there owners just race them n don't work them due to risk of injury etc.. 

2 minutes ago, Gene said:

Come on man, you need to ask that question? Why do you think men have crossed in to greyhound for decades and decades mate? Other breeds can and do bring benefits to the mix, if not people would have just selectively bred our greyhounds to suit hunting.

From what I gather you run hare and hare alone? Horses for courses isn't it?

they have crossed into the greyhound to add all that they are missing 

3 minutes ago, Gene said:

Or maybe they crossed greyhound to give breeds they desired for hunting that extra speed?

For instance, you wouldn't choose pure saluki if you were intending to run big deer, just like you wouldn't if you were only planning on rabbiting.

a big strong 28 inch dog be as good as any for big deer 

why wouldn’t you use a saluki for rabbits ? 

12 minutes ago, Gene said:

I doubt that mate, I'd rather have a good bull/greyhound for pulling those animals.

And because there's better dogs for the job buddy isn't there?

Now I'm going to say something that you will agree with, the saluki is by far the most versatile sighthound and possibly of any running dog.

There top o the shop when it comes 2 running off 

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, Gene said:

I doubt that mate, I'd rather have a good bull/greyhound for pulling those animals.

And because there's better dogs for the job buddy isn't there?

Now I'm going to say something that you will agree with, the saluki is by far the most versatile sighthound and possibly of any running dog.

and greb is the most versatile man to ever come on this site ? how many names now?

• Haha 2
34 minutes ago, dodger said:

What is your opinion on non peds charts ie stamina and durability compared to show racing or working whippets and do you think many are worked these days or do there owners just race them n don't work them due to risk of injury etc.. 

As usual, mate, this is just MY opinion.

I doubt many, if any , of the non-ped people work there dogs, for exactlythe reason you state; they wouldn't risk the injuries.

Their goal is to win Open races, get Raching Champion titles, and they get their dogs to the peak of condition at the right times and breed the best to the best.

I still go to my local tracks and enjoy the craic and like to keep up with what's doing the winning.

If I think this young deer x I have is worth breeding from, I'd have no hesitation in putting her to a big scratch dog.

Many years ago, our non-peds were "dual purpose", work and race, but now I think they are just race.

Blue Prince, ( Blue Boy x Zarwood) , a non-ped I had back in the 60's;

IMG_0105.JPG.e7a109c797a5281268f91c58eb3f0b63.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG.cd0537ff94d8ac4e278fac299ef1f23d.JPG

Cheers.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I doubt many, if any , of the non-ped people work there dogs, for exactlythe reason you state; they wouldn't risk the injuries.

Their goal is to win Open races, get Raching Champion titles, and they get their dogs to the peak of condition at the right times and breed the best to the best.

I still go to my local tracks and enjoy the craic and like to keep up with what's doing the winning.

If I think this young deer x I have is worth breeding from, I'd have no hesitation in putting her to a big scratch dog.

Many years ago, our non-peds were "dual purpose", work and race, but now I think they are just race.

Cheers.

When you say none ped whippets charts, the racing whippets at  Cannock, Walsall, all backcountry tracks, were none ped dogs, in there make up were = greyhound, Staffordshire bull terrier, maybe bit of beddy, to give thicker coat. I had none ped racing bitch, 20in 20 lb, great little bitch, won few races with, and she was great at rabbits in the lamp, and put couple bends on  a daytime hare, but rabbits and rats was her game. Down the track, they had males there 30-33lb, that would kill foxes, a lad there ran 2 brothers on them few times, they were strong game little dogs. The none ped racing whippets got lot to offer if x back say saluki x grey bitch, make brill rabbit dog, and anything that it bumped into. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Gene said:

I think you're talking nonsense there, how can you say heavily saturated greyhound will only catch hares once in a blue moon, what utter rubbish.

Hi Greb ? 

Cheers, D.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Good interesting post thanks, I have a bitch with a non ped called sky warrior in her breeding would you happen to of heard of him or have Pic maybe. 

Hope you have some fun with the deerhound greyhound this season is she bred from platts

14 minutes ago, Gene said:

Does anyone know of any people that have used saluki alone as a base for a lurcher, I've never seen saluki/collie, saluki/bull, saluki/bedlington, etc.

I had a bitch who's dam was a first x saluki bull pal

1 hour ago, Ferretman65 said:

Mchull watt is a English hare not knocking you here the only native hare to England in the mountain hare if iam right could be wrong here brown hares were brought in 

Before the English Channel was formed, European brown hares were here.  ?

21 minutes ago, Gene said:

Haven't seen him on here yet, I look forward to him posting if he's as versatile as you say.

Speaking of pures, greyhound and whippet are a more versatile base than saluki if you're wanting other breeds in the mix.

Now if you're speaking of running pures then that crown would likely go to the saluki.

How do you know greyhounds or a whippets would make a better base?

How much speed do you need,? a saluki bred right will have more than enough