Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

2 hours ago, Greb147 said:

I wonder how the Brown Hare compares to other Hares in speed and stamina. 

I've seen clips before and those Galgos look like they are flying,  I suppose the firmer ground makes it look much faster than over here. 

Depends on what their eating ?

I would say from what I've seen I've heard lots of times arguments on which are the fastest hares especially with my American mates ?

I know from my experience the best are usually near good food crops there are hares and hares in the UK I honestly believe some maybe a sub species but that's just my thoughts it's probably genetics which I wouldn't know about. But I've seen big ginger ones that take no catching and smaller darker types that lift and take the dog on a tour back in the day many times. 

Like a good few of my mates it wasn't the numbers we were after it was the race that counted seen it lots.

The land has its effect and those that get to know a dog that live next to the village them too were the trickiest of animals well excersised and knew every trick in the book lol

I've seen some cracking dogs and I've seen some better hares many times when your hound catches one that's worthy that was the name of the game imho

• Like 4

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

I bet we aren't far from each other bud 

I like the small types loads they have more to offer sport wise even on bigger things I always said I'd retire with a terrier and a whippet when I can't walk the distance ?

Now I'm leaning more to Saluki whippet back to Saluki to get the size right down just for legal game and with a terrier still of course ?

I like them pocket rockets on hedgey land my pure bitch was 23 and a half I couldn't replicate her sadly the bitch pup made 25 the dogs 26 Its just my opinion and everyone has them I know but a good little one has always been more enjoyable to me that's a great pic again of a lovely stamp of hound ?

all mine back then were 22 24. even as a kid I knew what I needed and brred to suit I never realised at the time that they were anything special, and  lads in other areas was doing the same, my mother with 3 generations.

035.JPG

• Like 3
4 hours ago, sandymere said:

Rough galgo, saluki and lurchers. Not the best but a bit of a comparison. 

Interesting video Sandymere the rough ones look like beddy X's ?

I am going to stick my neck out here bless you ? 

No hound should ever run doubled or tripled up they can't control the hare who will only run as fast as the hound chasing it ?

The Saluki lot and the galgo lot don't understand coursing same as many other countries as the English lads do

Those hounds were bred to herd back to their owners all forms of coursing with more than one hound is just racing as two dogs cannot control their prey each will keep turning it but not herding it a proper single handed hound will kill most it's slipped on it doesn't have to be fast it has to be just fast enough ? 

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, two crows said:

all mine back then were 22 24. even as a kid I knew what I needed and brred to suit I never realised at the time that they were anything special, and  lads in other areas was doing the same, my mother with 3 generations.

035.JPG

That's a mint pic bud and im with you one million percent on size thanks for sharing ???

Love the stamp of them ?

13 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

A bloke who learned me all about training greyhounds early doors was very knowledgable re hares' he studied them for years.

His thoughts were that as a rule the 6-7lb Hares were the better test.

The real large ones not so much and the smaller weaker ones again as a rule not so much a test .

As you say where they live and their diet must come into play and how often they have been hunted and escaped too imo as edication has also got to be a factor as well as the basics of been bred down off good stock ?

Yep that is all true but you can't beat nature, if there's more athletically gifted Hares and Jack Rabbits than the Brown Hare then they would be more of a test for the dogs. 

I have read that the Jack Rabbit is faster and has more stamina than the Brown Hare, you would only know for sure though if you ran them. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, juckler123 said:

I got to agree pal there is a reason we cross but have you ran a well bred pure to know for sure I was like you and to be fair the line I keep isn't as strong as what's coming out today I been around strong dogs all my life I think the Nero bred hounds are as strong as any lurchers I've come across ATB 

No mate I’ve never owned a pure saluki, I’ve seen a few bred out of nero back to lurchers but never any pures off him. Saluki blood for me is essential for my lurchers but a pure definitely wouldn’t suit what I do. I think it’s good that some men are still running them though, its a shame to see any working pure breed die out

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 2

I agree with that regards having pures around for an outcross, it strikes me that over the years,however line breds  have been bred together with the occasional saluki out cross so must be almost genetically saluki, yet are in most cases so different from pures.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

Interesting video Sandymere the rough ones look like beddy X's ?

I am going to stick my neck out here bless you ? 

No hound should ever run doubled or tripled up they can't control the hare who will only run as fast as the hound chasing it ?

The Saluki lot and the galgo lot don't understand coursing same as many other countries as the English lads do

Those hounds were bred to herd back to their owners all forms of coursing with more than one hound is just racing as two dogs cannot control their prey each will keep turning it but not herding it a proper single handed hound will kill most it's slipped on it doesn't have to be fast it has to be just fast enough ? 

Different games, one dog to run against the hare,  2 dogs to compete against each other. Each has its own merit and shortcomings. I've run a coursing galgo, used to competition in Spain then solo over here, she won competitions over there and caught game over here and soon learned to run solo?

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

No mate I’ve never owned a pure saluki, I’ve seen a few bred out of nero back to lurchers but never any pures off him. Saluki blood for me is essential for my lurchers but a pure definitely wouldn’t suit what I do. I think it’s good that some men are still running them though, its a shame to see any working pure breed die out

Pure won't die out there's thousands of saluki types in the middle east and Sloughis in North Africa. Thousands of Galgos in Spain and greyhounds in UK etc. IMG_20190910_175525.jpg.a01bcd06d9df10fcc523137ea30e0bc5.jpg

In North Africa they hybridis them to make a general purpose type. 

IMG_20200521_092108.jpg.218085c5d9254259ca3b7e7b01240d74.jpg

A mix of saluki x galgo is popular with or without Sloughi. 

IMG_20200530_142929.jpg.54e86106cf5d480a46365d141b07cc3c.jpgIMG_20200530_143001.jpg.ad16452b5c517303d656a2d13b900874.jpg

We have a tendency to forget we've just a part of the bigger coursing world. 

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

A bloke who learned me all about training greyhounds early doors was very knowledgable re hares' he studied them for years.

His thoughts were that as a rule the 6-7lb Hares were the better test.

The real large ones not so much and the smaller weaker ones again as a rule not so much a test .

As you say where they live and their diet must come into play and how often they have been hunted and escaped too imo as edication has also got to be a factor as well as the basics of been bred down off good stock ?

I asked some galgueros about running different hares. The Spanish run brown, granada and  Iberian hares and they reckon the slightly lighter made Iberian hares run better being faster and perhaps a little more agile. They believe they stretch the dogs more to reel them in especially with the law they give. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Pure won't die out there's thousands of saluki types in the middle east and Sloughis in North Africa. Thousands of Galgos in Spain and greyhounds in UK etc. IMG_20190910_175525.jpg.a01bcd06d9df10fcc523137ea30e0bc5.jpg

In North Africa they hybridis them to make a general purpose type. 

IMG_20200521_092108.jpg.218085c5d9254259ca3b7e7b01240d74.jpg

A mix of saluki x galgo is popular with or without Sloughi. 

IMG_20200530_142929.jpg.54e86106cf5d480a46365d141b07cc3c.jpgIMG_20200530_143001.jpg.ad16452b5c517303d656a2d13b900874.jpg

We have a tendency to forget we've just a part of the bigger coursing world. 

The proper working strains of scottish deerhounds have all but died out. 

When I said die out I meant in this country, there’ll always be the odd import coming over but apart from the saluki nothing else has really caught on over here in a big way, and we’re at the stage with saluki hybrids & UK bred pures there’s no need to bring imports over IMO. Someone had a few brought over a few years ago now and they were a bit of an anti climax to say the least. 

Its easy to assume the grass is greener but I think the best stuff for UK terrain & quarry species is already in this country. That’s just my opinion everyone’s got their own ideas

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 5
On 30/05/2020 at 14:44, Shadow100 said:

The proper working strains of scottish deerhounds have all but died out. 

When I said die out I meant in this country, there’ll always be the odd import coming over but apart from the saluki nothing else has really caught on over here in a big way, and we’re at the stage with saluki hybrids & UK bred pures there’s no need to bring imports over IMO. Someone had a few brought over a few years ago now and they were a bit of an anti climax to say the least. 

Its easy to assume the grass is greener but I think the best stuff for UK terrain & quarry species is already in this country. That’s just my opinion everyone’s got their own ideas

I agree with that mate. I said a few years ago on a similar thread, that the uk bred coursing/working salukis would be better than c o o salukis, as the european/british brown hare is bigger, stronger and faster than the middle east hares. So surely british salukis will be better?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I agree with that mate. I said a few years ago on a similar thread, that the uk bred coursing/working salukis would be better than c o o salukis, as the european/british brown hare is bigger, stronger and faster than the middle east hares. So surely british salukis will be better

Just the way I look at it, if I want a pup that’s going to run in the UK, why look abroad when there’s lines of hybrid lurchers that have been doing well in the UK for the past 30-40 years. Almost feels like trying to reinvent the wheel when there’s no need to.

Also can’t help but notice a lot of the foreign stuff looks very weak. When it’s cold & wet, a bit of substance can go a long way

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1