Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

34 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Plummer was a writer first and foremost, he sold loads of books, and at one time, he was the most stolen author from public libraries.

He told people what they wanted to hear, he was a story teller. His dogs never seen anything like the work other lads dogs did.

I remember him coming up here to try and buy game birds and a local breed of small Jack Russell's, he was laughed out of the pub within minutes.

I read and enjoyed his books back then, just like a lot of people, shame he began believe his own nonsense.

Cheers.

? mate and I’ve got to admit I also enjoyed reading his books even as Michael shaw ?think the only honest books out there seem to be eg Walsh that’s not a bad book an darcys books seem legit you can normally guess if there straight when they write in books about dogs that didn’t make it 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, poxon said:

? mate and I’ve got to admit I also enjoyed reading his books even as Michael shaw ?think the only honest books out there seem to be eg Walsh that’s not a bad book an darcys books seem legit you can normally guess if there straight when they write in books about dogs that didn’t make it 

All I can honestly say about Darcy's books is I enjoy them, and there's a chapter in " Now That's Wat I Call Lurcher Work 2 ", that is definitely true, it's about my mates dog that I had in my kennel a few times and mentions two of my dogs; "Bruce the Rescue Dog "

Cheers.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Greb147 said:

I've never had a dog with heavily saturated blood so wouldn't know this. 

The great Brian Plummer claimed many a times that the Saluki and heavily based Saluki lurchers were less prone to injuries due to their running style. 

Is their any truth in this or was it is typical hogwash. It does make sense as heavily saturated Greyhound types get knocked up easily. 

Only remember him crabbing them?

They are hardy dogs, durable, more supple blah blah. Just look at some of the places they come from, same as the horses..

5 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

In my experience your first crosses are tough as old boots, but a lot of your line bred coursing stuff can be more fragile. I think reason for that is with the big name line bred stuff there’s been a lot of men bred off injury prone stuff to make a few quid rather than admit they’re no good. Whereas the home bred stuff you don’t get as much of that. That’s just my theory behind it could be way off.

Could it be the more heavily inbred the weaker they may become small shite coat injury prone

i be only ever had two that broke down on me you’ll no first season

even dogs same litter some be solid others  weak

11 hours ago, bird said:

suppose with all type lurchers  there all need speed to catch there quarry, the only 2 breeds to give it is greyhounds and whippets, salukis and deerhounds only offer stamina, good feet .But   lot of people only use the 2 above breeds, as last resort , as they keep proven line bred lurchers doing well at there jobs, one type stands out to me is american and Oz staghounds , they breed true and very rarely  out cross to greyhounds , as there dogs seem to keep there pace, and dont lack wind for there quarry.Deff drop of greyhound or whippet  will put extra yard in for you , when its needed  though .:thumbs:

A dare say you more chance of catching plenty  rabbit hare deer with a saluki than whippet or a grey mate 

There coursing brain as shadow says is quality 

I diagree about some  though with him lol

Coursing hounds are what 2/3 or 3/4 saluki say there or there abouts so I think plenty a saluki sound lol 

I have  a first season bitch 14 month  out of a purebitch x a dog out of  bulldozerx double Dan bred bitch so really you would think pure saluki x fen dog so be slow but she quick to em good turn a pace no messing about not scared to strike and when on like glue 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, mC HULL said:

Could it be the more heavily inbred the weaker they may become small shite coat injury prone

i be only ever had two that broke down on me you’ll no first season

even dogs same litter some be solid others  weak

Could well be that, got to say ones I’ve had that were tight bred weren’t small but the other stuff definitely, bad coat, injury prone etc. It’s not even always injuries like muscular etc but a lot have bad feet or thin skin. Bad feet is a major fault for me tbh if a dogs always got sore feet it shouldn’t be bred from really but plenty have so suppose damage is done by now.

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

I’ve been lucky with feet etc and I run a fair bit on tops stones couple broke on me been snapped legs mate 

49 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Makes we wonder if you can do all that why you would need a running dog.... 

? ............. ?

On 28/12/2020 at 20:17, chartpolski said:

Plummer was a writer first and foremost, he sold loads of books, and at one time, he was the most stolen author from public libraries.

He told people what they wanted to hear, he was a story teller. His dogs never seen anything like the work other lads dogs did.

I remember him coming up here to try and buy game birds and a local breed of small Jack Russell's, he was laughed out of the pub within minutes.

I read and enjoyed his books back then, just like a lot of people, shame he began believe his own nonsense.

Cheers.

still got a few of his books here lifted out the library in the middle of glasgow when i was a teenager haha then another when i moved to tayside about 16 year ago

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 04/06/2020 at 23:41, two crows said:

I see your dogs ped on the other thread juckler  and the coments of tampering I believe a lot of the old coursing lurcher peds are made up to suit egos as well to be fair, here is old flashes ped his parents can be found a long  way back in most of the well known saluki lines,i put a pic up on the red thread off a fred bitch I  bred.

034.JPG

DSCF8630.JPG

sadly the chap in the picture who got me started with coursing dogs over 50 years ago just died he was my wifes uncle and my boyhood hero rip mick.

• Sad 2