Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

18 hours ago, juckler123 said:

Truth that pal proper truth ??

I've wondered before about hares after I've seen them slow down, and even sit down and let a dog get back on terms if it could be a genetic thing after generations of coursed hares, could they be enjoying an endorphin rush, I used to train myself and ran on the soft sand at the beach with the dogs sometimes it felt hard going a minute later I was happy and could pick it up for a few more miles of steep flights of steps and inclines, it was a buzz pushing through it

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon a lot depends on both ground and if they have been run before, on  hard ground, short grass etc they can get a better pace and if they know what a running dog is they don't hang about. Whereas on longer stubble or heavy ground they are a fair bit slower and add in that if they've just been chased by farm collies they don't to not take dogs to seriously then they become an easier option. I've shared some of the UK videos to Spain, North Africa etc and they weren't impressed by how the hares run but they need to bear in mind what effects the hares also effects the dogs and heavy ground takes it toll on both and impacts on the speed, agility etc so you can end up with a slower course but that is as gruelling as a faster course on good going.

• Like 1

Think there’s a big difference in the dogs in the videos as well sandy, you never see any dogs in those foreign videos working a hare, boxing it away from a dyke, hedge etc. They seem to just run up their arse. The dogs in this country have adapted to work a hare not just chase after it, this maybe gives the impression that the hares over here aren’t as fast, but it could be that they’re not just in a flat out sprint all the way through the course like the ones in those videos are

1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

Think there’s a big difference in the dogs in the videos as well sandy, you never see any dogs in those foreign videos working a hare, boxing it away from a dyke, hedge etc. They seem to just run up their arse. The dogs in this country have adapted to work a hare not just chase after it, this maybe gives the impression that the hares over here aren’t as fast, but it could be that they’re not just in a flat out sprint all the way through the course like the ones in those videos are

Tbf though pal it looks as though they are giving everything just to come to terms with them. If you don't have the pace to start bending them then you will struggle to box them. 

Of course you would expect a Saluki or Saluki cross to start wearing one out but on the videos I've seen they will be gone in cover before they get the chance to tire one out. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sandymere said:

I reckon a lot depends on both ground and if they have been run before, on  hard ground, short grass etc they can get a better pace and if they know what a running dog is they don't hang about. Whereas on longer stubble or heavy ground they are a fair bit slower and add in that if they've just been chased by farm collies they don't to not take dogs to seriously then they become an easier option. I've shared some of the UK videos to Spain, North Africa etc and they weren't impressed by how the hares run but they need to bear in mind what effects the hares also effects the dogs and heavy ground takes it toll on both and impacts on the speed, agility etc so you can end up with a slower course but that is as gruelling as a faster course on good going.

That's what I've always thought. 

Most people think that the heavier ground always suits the Hare but I've seen clips run on soft ground where the Hare is going nowhere and is in trouble right from the off. 

Remember that if there's standing water on the land, a puddle for a dog becomes a pool for the Hare, I little soft mound of earth becomes a soft mountain for the Hare. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Tbf though pal it looks as though they are giving everything just to come to terms with them. If you don't have the pace to start bending them then you will struggle to box them. 

Of course you would expect a Saluki or Saluki cross to start wearing one out but on the videos I've seen they will be gone in cover before they get the chance to tire one out. 

Suppose it’s one of those things, it’s all subjective because we’re just watching videos, unless decent dogs from here went over there, we’ll never really be able to compare 

• Like 3

Hard going hares can fly but so can dogs some can run it real well but are always going to struggle to get down and on the turn especially if it’s loose going aswell 

when it’s heavy it takes more out a the dog and make it a lot harder then out them Spanish a running lol greb when it’s real heavy clay the hare will slow up get in trouble quicker it’s feet a balled up with clay real good going for young dogs mate 

even that clip where brindle dog is single running that hare was weak as soon as dog got to it no turns kicking on 40 yds it was in trouble straight away couldn’t get a yard it’s like that here early season 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

I've wondered before about hares after I've seen them slow down, and even sit down and let a dog get back on terms if it could be a genetic thing after generations of coursed hares, could they be enjoying an endorphin rush, I used to train myself and ran on the soft sand at the beach with the dogs sometimes it felt hard going a minute later I was happy and could pick it up for a few more miles of steep flights of steps and inclines, it was a buzz pushing through it

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

• Haha 1

I don't know about Spanish hares, but I do know that double handed competitive coursing, makes people think speed is the answer to every thing, it is not, slow old fen dogs would never catch a hare if it was, fast dogs on fast ground will make a hare look fast, but a fast dog with ability will cruise up take control and slow things down, I see a bitch run regular that does this very well, runs so tight its uncanny, once locked on its almost when not if, never seems flustered, that's what a coursing dog is, not a fking greyhound, that bitch wont be bragged  about or seen on  u tube.

14 minutes ago, two crows said:

I don't know about Spanish hares, but I do know that double handed competitive coursing, makes people think speed is the answer to every thing, it is not, slow old fen dogs would never catch a hare if it was, fast dogs on fast ground will make a hare look fast, but a fast dog with ability will cruise up take control and slow things down, I see a bitch run regular that does this very well, runs so tight its uncanny, once locked on its almost when not if, never seems flustered, that's what a coursing dog is, not a fking greyhound, that bitch wont be bragged  about or seen on  u tube.

Got to agree, those videos compared to good dogs in this country highlight the difference between coursing a hare and chasing one 

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 3

Everyone has their own preferences but for me a fast dog with a bit of wind is the answer, I'm not into wars of attrition on every run or i'd get a beagle

As to Galgos, good Galgos catch a decent percentage of hares when run on long slips and crippling ground and I've found that when run solo they run with their brain as well as their speed, I'd say one of many decent types in this big old world?.

Like the slo mo on this.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 2

I don’t like dogs that turn every run in to a war, there’s no need for it, but I think for a dog to make a good hare killer it needs to be able to read the course, they look fast them galgos but they turn wide and overshoot on most turns, I like to see a fast dog but it’s even better to see a dog glued to the back of a hare, I think that’s how most hares lose their heads if they feel they can’t shake the dog off their tail.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Everyone has their own preferences but for me a fast dog with a bit of wind is the answer, I'm not into wars of attrition on every run or i'd get a beagle

As to Galgos, good Galgos catch a decent percentage of hares when run on long slips and crippling ground and I've found that when run solo they run with their brain as well as their speed, I'd say one of many decent types in this big old world?.

Like the slo mo on this.

Speed with a good bit a wind is ideal for most things Sandy 100% mate but when on the big open land on a strong hare and it isn’t looking for cover then it’s a war of attrition whether you like it or not and a fast dog with a good bit a wind will get found out if you go enough 

I seen on YouTube a Spanish lad with 1st saluki galagos and he’s holding one dog and 3/4 hares lol won’t be long and they be breeding saluki galagos hybrids 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Speed with a good bit a wind is ideal for most things Sandy 100% mate but when on the big open land on a strong hare and it isn’t looking for cover then it’s a war of attrition whether you like it or not and a fast dog with a good bit a wind will get found out if you go enough 

I seen on YouTube a Spanish lad with 1st saluki galagos and he’s holding one dog and 3/4 hares lol won’t be long and they be breeding saluki galagos hybrids 

They have already been there with saluki X galgos the same as greyhound X galgos but went back to the pure's for coursing as they suited what they run better... ? 

The Galgos have enough in the tank to suit their requirements and certainly take multiple hares, especially out of competition when they they are just out to run their dogs for a bit of sport, re the picture i put up of the dam and grand-sire of one of mine. The others grand-dam is celebrated for taking 10 hare in two days of competition in the build up to the national final, so running against good dogs. Of course all dogs lose hares but i've lost more to the hare getting into cover etc than to the dogs being run out and that's with having run saluki hybrids, deerhound hybrids, pure greys, whippets and general lurcher types from Suffolk to Devon and around the midlands for near on 50 years.?

• Like 2