Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

8 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Some are kick ups tho mate and a sharp dog with a good mouth will make a kill before you can call it a course.

Imo a waste of time and you learn nothing about your dog.

Both interesting posts I'm.getting on in years and need now more than ever a dog to rake a field and to be honest it's something I've always done anyway ??

Now in such circumstances on hedgy land they will find the odd one clapped but if sun's out and they sat high more often than not it will lift at distance so swings and roundabouts but.  

Two crows your spot on with short slips on hedgy land and so is max a well conditioned hound will kill it before it gets going so it all depends if your hunting for food imho ?

Big land is the one big slips is the second ?

Learns em to go up slow and like you say two crows they don't flatten their tabs till that dogs on em ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree a good hare is a good hare but I've taken plenty with average dogs from out of their seat, hares that given a little law to set themselves would rarely be taken by the same dog. I reckon you gotta give what you can if you want to see more decent runs. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

Some are kick ups tho mate and a sharp dog with a good mouth will make a kill before you can call it a course.

Imo a waste of time and you learn nothing about your dog.

lads have always ran kickups I saw it 50 years ago and I will see it next season, I am not  defending it by the way just stating facts sadly.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, sandymere said:

I'd agree a good hare is a good hare but I've taken plenty with average dogs from out of their seat, hares that given a little law to set themselves would rarely be taken by the same dog. I reckon you gotta give what you can if you want to see more decent runs. 

That’s what it comes down to though, high percentage now aren’t going to see decent runs, they’d rather kill 5 duffers than 2 top hares because the picture looks better for the Facebook groups. It’s a shame but just the way it is.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, sandymere said:

why did you do that sandy lol ,in reality the  video thing is terrible for it, and a lot of them lads never had a dog before the ban, matching brings out the worst in people.

• Like 3

There may be a conflict of interests here ; if I'm out for a mornings sport, the hare gets decent law, and if it's a good race, I'm happy if the hare gets away or gets caught.

If I'm out for one or two for the freezer, then the dog works off the lead, finds its own hare, and if it takes one out of the seat, good, I'm on and off the land before it comes on top !

Either scenario; happy days !

Cheers.

• Like 7
53 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Alas the folly of youth lol. Though in my defence I never claimed them to be hare dogs just a good lurchers to fill the larder ?

I love to see a good sporting run but I have to say that if I wanted a hare for the table I wouldn't mind if a half cross picked it from the seat or pushed it into a gate net.?

In good hare country I've seen a dog put 3 at once into a net in a place where there wasn't even hedges at the sides of the gateway. Heart stopping stuff.

• Like 1

Another thing that isn't new is thieving c**ts, people/kennels have had salukis stolen. Houses broken into and the only thing taken was the salukis. Some never to be seen again, some got back and some got back after a long time.

Could be in the lurcher lines, could be some of the blanks in peds ??

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Remember a old account of a gazelle hunt on horseback, they slipped a fresh pair in.... wouldn't be the done thing here

Replace the horse with a 4x4, the gazelle with a fallow buck or red stag & the dogs with big bull crosses, it happens here all the time

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Replace the horse with a 4x4, the gazelle with a fallow buck or red stag & the dogs with big bull crosses, it happens here all the time

Are these gazelles they run held in captivity though or are they running wild ones? 

• Like 2