Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Look to be running against each other to me.?

the desperation to get the hare is what drives them to compete but also to push themselves, without that they would never be great.

Looks to me like it’s the first time they chased out mate

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, two crows said:

all the real old paintings drawings always show 2 dogs running even hunting not coursing I think running single is quite a modern idea perhaps.

That what we do run single if we run doubled up we all want speed and chasers lol

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

You’re right there they shouldn’t be injury prone, I’ve seen a few first crosses and owned one myself they’re as hard as nails injury wise. It seems to be these line bred coursing hybrids that throw a lot of injury prone stock, I don’t know why but the majority I’ve seen out of romeo, bulldozer, rover etc you couldn’t get a full season out of them.

Thats not to say they’re all like that but a good 80% of the ones I’ve seen in the past few years I’d say were a lot softer built than your first crosses. Coursing dog enthusiasts will say I’m talking shit but hand on heart that’s the truth I’ve no reason to lie. I wish they weren’t injury prone cause I’d have had a lot less trouble with the ones i had. 

Honesty best policy ?

The original coursing lines were a proper mish mash and not too houndy pure wise I said before greyhound probably not needed I should explain I think first cross to greyhound has a lot to offer whether to deerhound bull whippet Saluki or collie it's using too much I have found doesn't sit right ..

Would love to see some more Saluki grey hybrids bred as a line like the deerhound grey lads do think if done right they'd hit the notes half cross to half cross and on and on ?

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

You’re right there they shouldn’t be injury prone, I’ve seen a few first crosses and owned one myself they’re as hard as nails injury wise. It seems to be these line bred coursing hybrids that throw a lot of injury prone stock, I don’t know why but the majority I’ve seen out of romeo, bulldozer, rover etc you couldn’t get a full season out of them.

Thats not to say they’re all like that but a good 80% of the ones I’ve seen in the past few years I’d say were a lot softer built than your first crosses. Coursing dog enthusiasts will say I’m talking shit but hand on heart that’s the truth I’ve no reason to lie. I wish they weren’t injury prone cause I’d have had a lot less trouble with the ones i had. 

Are they faster? speed brings injuries just through the increased impact forces and strain on joints etc. The Spanish tried crossing with greys but found the progeny more injury prone so went back to the pure blood, but they like the Arabs/North Africans etc use hybrids for racing mind.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

I wish I did pal only three about at that time I knew of deffo not Prince didnt  she win spewers three times ??

Trevor and what was other bud lol and what was the spewers jucks an early comp on the black? 
Is there any pics a queenie mate 

3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

This thread got me thinking about pures used elsewhere.

In Australia the saluki is virtually unheard of as a working dog, either pure or crossed. I found this strange, as they have an abundance of hares, and land so big it makes the fens look like my back garden !

When I've asked lads I've hunted with down there, they just shrug their shoulders and say "we don't need them " !

I find this a bit strange, as they use breeds like Borzoi, Ibizan hound, Irish Wolkhound, Ridgebacks, etc in their breeding.

Fair enough, the breeds I mention are different to the ones here in the U.K., where the KC has ruined them, they're still worked in Oz, but I still find it a bit strange they don't use or rate the saluki ?

Cheers.

Happen they have to understand herding ?

Not really if what they have does it then why change ?

Are they running single would be a question  I would  like to know ?

1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

Trevor and what was other bud lol and what was the spewers jucks an early comp on the black? 
Is there any pics a queenie mate 

I got no pics of Queeny tother was Tolney lane dog owned by Hughie that went to most bitches I ever saw a dog go across bless him ?

Spewers was run all over lincs and Cambridgeshire was a fiver a dog to enter and poaching of course I was into bigger things back then but knew of lads out running it I used to meet the lad that owned ringo who won it three times on a patch I did for sport quality bitch ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

Happen they have to understand herding ?

Not really if what they have does it then why change ?

Are they running single would be a question  I would  like to know ?

It was mainly fox we ran the times I've been there, and they usually, but not allways ran doubled up. 

I saw this lad run single many times and he knew his job on fox, but sadly didn't last long when he made the step up to boars.

IMG_0082.JPG.cb2a92e46594ef6ce906024ebbe3dae5.JPG

* Pic taken legally in Australia.

Cheers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

It's posted all over YouTube that it's a pure. ?

Red shearer x rose foxy sister n caspas brother he's in one fellas line of pures if my eyes don't decieve me and best so called pure this year down from him and for the record I'd own a pup from it in a heartbeat best outcross for UK Saluki has to be UK coursing hound ?

9 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Are they faster? speed brings injuries just through the increased impact forces and strain on joints etc. The Spanish tried crossing with greys but found the progeny more injury prone so went back to the pure blood, but they like the Arabs/North Africans etc use hybrids for racing mind.

Definitely not faster, a couple were right plodders but still got injured all the time, just no good really are they if they need all that time off that’s the bottom line

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

It's posted all over YouTube that it's a pure. ?

Red shearer x rose foxy sister n caspas brother he's in one fellas line of pures if my eyes don't decieve me and best so called pure this year down from him and for the record I'd own a pup from it in a heartbeat best outcross for UK Saluki has to be UK coursing hound ?

12185464_10205322519810319_672160973794908209_o.jpg

1 minute ago, juckler123 said:

So how much Saluki is red in reality? So you're saying Red has been put over some pures to give them a bit of speed?