Jump to content

Pure beeds where would you be without them 👍


Recommended Posts

The reason I took to the Galgos was to answer some of the problems people have highlighted, I've raced and coursed greyhounds, lurchers and longdogs and in truth loved the greyhounds most but I need something injury resistant with a bit of pace and drive on small pastures but still able to stay when we get some bigger ground. My old one hardly missed a day through injury until hit by a van on the road and she took a fair amount of game. Generally they're bred to be robust in the field, have good feet, decent stamina and speed and the Spanish are hard taskmasters, if they don't do they die. 

IMG_20191129_103703.jpg.be21d1a49cf90445a8be54a309779f90.jpgIMG_20200601_141149.jpg.4ecc31b769a62033c422b7fe858a1ea8.jpgIMG_20200209_171256.jpg.db218f275abd28663e72626920185aaf.jpgIMG_20200517_154653.thumb.jpg.cd90fdffaa58a407d7ed1ae5ca739a66.jpg.73701861cc1fb800906cdaf6f1416c5c.jpg

IMG_20200517_154646_1.jpg.5bf2963c021207fdbef1cc576d1c6ad6.jpg

 

 

IMG_20200517_154653.thumb.jpg.cd90fdffaa58a407d7ed1ae5ca739a66.jpg

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 3
Link to post

  • Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No mate, I'm a home bird these days, but I'm a bit jealous of my missus who went north of the Arctic circle and did a bit of husky mushing, I'd like to have a go at that; She still likes to travel, bu

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, sandymere said:

The reason I took to the Galgos was to answer some of the problems people have highlighted, I've raced and coursed greyhounds, lurchers and longdogs and in truth loved the greyhounds most but I need something injury resistant with a bit of pace and drive on small pastures but still able to stay when we get some bigger ground. My old one hardly missed a day through injury until hit by a van on the road and she took a fair amount of game. Generally they're bred to be robust in the field, have good feet, decent stamina and speed and the Spanish are hard taskmasters, if they don't do they die. 

IMG_20191129_103703.jpg.be21d1a49cf90445a8be54a309779f90.jpgIMG_20200601_141149.jpg.4ecc31b769a62033c422b7fe858a1ea8.jpgIMG_20200209_171256.jpg.db218f275abd28663e72626920185aaf.jpgIMG_20200517_154653.thumb.jpg.cd90fdffaa58a407d7ed1ae5ca739a66.jpg.73701861cc1fb800906cdaf6f1416c5c.jpg

IMG_20200517_154646_1.jpg.5bf2963c021207fdbef1cc576d1c6ad6.jpg

 

 

IMG_20200517_154653.thumb.jpg.cd90fdffaa58a407d7ed1ae5ca739a66.jpg

I've noticed most of these galgos are pretty lightly framed, more similar to the early coursing greyhounds.

Link to post
13 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I've noticed most of these galgos are pretty lightly framed, more similar to the early coursing greyhounds.

Yes smaller and lighter musculature but decent bone, one of the reasons they are less injury prone plus not as fast as a grey but still has a good turn of pace and have a running brain.

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 minute ago, sandymere said:

Yes smaller and lighter musculature but decent bone, one of the reasons they are less injury prone plus not as fast as a grey but still has a good turn of pace and have a running brain.

Haven't got the figures etc in front of me, but, coomassie 44lb? Fullerton 60lb? Modern dogs double the size of coomassie, and plenty of bitches in the 70+lb mark, madness lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
17 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Haven't got the figures etc in front of me, but, coomassie 44lb? Fullerton 60lb? Modern dogs double the size of coomassie, and plenty of bitches in the 70+lb mark, madness lol

my bitches around 23 kg, 24 inches, dogs are a bit bigger

Grandsire and dam of my bitch

IMG_20200601_152310.jpg.7dceb0bcba5295b6e1743f7511f04386.jpg 

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
Link to post
7 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Haven't got the figures etc in front of me, but, coomassie 44lb? Fullerton 60lb? Modern dogs double the size of coomassie, and plenty of bitches in the 70+lb mark, madness lol

Cashels Evening put up a great show at the last Waterloo Cup.

IMG_0237.JPG.e9951e10355f6ce4ba1ee0ca1b473e62.JPG

Greyhound Data has her weight as 50lb, but the owner told me she ran in the Cup at 45lb, as she lost weight due to travelling from America to France and then to England..A very good little 'un !

Cheers.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
3 minutes ago, sandymere said:

my bitches around 23 kg, 24 inches, dogs are a bit bigger

Grandsire and dam of my bitch

j.jpg.25a54d1cd6f82f310af3029861fd1ca5.jpg 

Yep, that sort of size has got to be better for coursing, than a lot of the modern coursing greyhounds. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Yep, that sort of size has got to be better for coursing, than a lot of the modern coursing greyhounds. 

In her prime 5 years. 

IMG_20171231_083642.thumb.jpg.1fabc2588d892856ebb15b33dd5ba246.jpg.02926f77706da3fe0c021d7cd67e791f.jpg

18 months 

1041056904_galgocoursing-2.jpg.e04738febfd3add5806d7119631d2756.jpg

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 2
Link to post
6 hours ago, two crows said:

a hare can cope with a dog rushing up behind, but they don't like being manipulated by a clever dog.

They don't like a dog that runs at the side of them and looks at them 

Love that 1 dad

  • Haha 1
Link to post
9 hours ago, mC HULL said:

A few years ago there was a topic on here Thomasb a think he imported a smooth pure from ghanem kennel I thought it was a pal a yours mate 

Brother in law imported a bitch' think it was from the kennel Charts mentioned but I could be miles away on that score?

The bitch had a lovely laid back nature from the very little I seen of her but. Frail looking ' ie stick thin in every sense .

maybe Elegent is the right word.

But he bred her to Nero and the pups he kept back look strong enough.

They must only be around the year old mark?

Maybe a little more at a guess ?

Edited by maxhardcore
  • Like 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cashels Evening put up a great show at the last Waterloo Cup.

IMG_0237.JPG.e9951e10355f6ce4ba1ee0ca1b473e62.JPG

Greyhound Data has her weight as 50lb, but the owner told me she ran in the Cup at 45lb, as she lost weight due to travelling from America to France and then to England..A very good little 'un !

Cheers.

 

Master Magrath was only 40 odd pound Charts which was the norm for the early English Coursing Greyhounds when the work was as important as the lead up👍

  • Like 2
Link to post
17 hours ago, sandymere said:

The reason I took to the Galgos was to answer some of the problems people have highlighted, I've raced and coursed greyhounds, lurchers and longdogs and in truth loved the greyhounds most but I need something injury resistant with a bit of pace and drive on small pastures but still able to stay when we get some bigger ground. My old one hardly missed a day through injury until hit by a van on the road and she took a fair amount of game. Generally they're bred to be robust in the field, have good feet, decent stamina and speed and the Spanish are hard taskmasters, if they don't do they die. 

IMG_20191129_103703.jpg.be21d1a49cf90445a8be54a309779f90.jpgIMG_20200601_141149.jpg.4ecc31b769a62033c422b7fe858a1ea8.jpgIMG_20200209_171256.jpg.db218f275abd28663e72626920185aaf.jpgIMG_20200517_154653.thumb.jpg.cd90fdffaa58a407d7ed1ae5ca739a66.jpg.73701861cc1fb800906cdaf6f1416c5c.jpg

IMG_20200517_154646_1.jpg.5bf2963c021207fdbef1cc576d1c6ad6.jpg

 

 

IMG_20200517_154653.thumb.jpg.cd90fdffaa58a407d7ed1ae5ca739a66.jpg

What are they like speed wise compared to a Whippet? 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

What are they like speed wise compared to a Whippet? 

Much as you would expect, faster top speed, run with a little non ped who was away but only until the galgo got going, completely different style 👍.

Edited by sandymere
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...