Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

19 hours ago, shaaark said:

I've noticed most of these galgos are pretty lightly framed, more similar to the early coursing greyhounds.

A coursing grey bred to get there put bends in for points I don’t no what old coursing greys were about your area 50 year ago but round here they were big strong animals huge back legs 30 odd inch not lightly framed 

what galagos I seen doubled up and there chasing just like a grey they don’t work the hare just pressure it not much coursing brain 

and Salukis and saluki hybrids should be as tough as a running dog comes they shouldn’t be injury prone There solid animals regardless if they 28 TTS and strong or  a little 23inch light bitch 

• Like 1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

A coursing grey bred to get there put bends in for points I don’t no what old coursing greys were about your area 50 year ago but round here they were big strong animals huge back legs 30 odd inch not lightly framed 

what galagos I seen doubled up and there chasing just like a grey they don’t work the hare just pressure it not much coursing brain 

and Salukis and saluki hybrids should be as tough as a running dog comes they shouldn’t be injury prone There solid animals regardless if they 28 TTS and strong or  a little 23inch light bitch 

Early coursing greyhounds were lighter but 50 years ago is not early coursing, that's pretty much the modern greyhound, I know I was there lol.

Two dogs competing against each other run differently from when they run alone, be they greyhounds, Galgo or Saluki, jealousy to get the game is a part of their nature. Plus salukis in their native land were not bred to bred to run single any more than greyhounds or galgos..

887860746_greys2.jpg.a6561508c140519005eca31df372410f.jpg

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, juckler123 said:

12 year old F1 our lady bless her 

chegg007.jpg

Was this dog from the mid 70s juckler only a well known middleweight boxer from Rotherham had a bitch very similar purchased as a pup from some lads from Sheffield that turned into a well known hare killing dog on the fields around s.yorks .

On 02/06/2020 at 11:06, sandymere said:

Early coursing greyhounds were lighter but 50 years ago is not early coursing, that's pretty much the modern greyhound, I know I was there lol.

Two dogs competing against each other run differently from when they run alone, be they greyhounds, Galgo or Saluki, jealousy to get the game is a part of their nature. Plus salukis in their native land were not bred to bred to run single .

On 02/06/2020 at 10:54, mC HULL said:

What sandy said above mate.  By 'early' greyhounds, I meant beore the the 1930's really. Most of the bitches being around the 24" 40ish lb mark, with dogs not too much bigger. ?

Edited by shaaark

The grey of 50 year ago that lads coursed with we’re big strong dogs I try getting a some pics there not that big strong today 

dogs run different doubled I agree grey or galagos want to put the turn in be infront both got a chasing mentality but a saluki won’t it’ll sit back not put the turns in and try getting the kill using its head if that was a grey or galagos did that they’d be no good culled wastage 

19 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

The grey of 50 year ago that lads coursed with we’re big strong dogs I try getting a some pics there not that big strong today 

dogs run different doubled I agree grey or galagos want to put the turn in be infront both got a chasing mentality but a saluki won’t it’ll sit back not put the turns in and try getting the kill using its head if that was a grey or galagos did that they’d be no good culled wastage 

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Look to be running against each other to me.?

the desperation to get the hare is what drives them to compete but also to push themselves, without that they would never be great.

Edited by sandymere
29 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Two dogs competing against each other run differently from when they run alone, be they greyhounds, Galgo or Saluki, jealousy to get the game is a part of their nature. Plus salukis in their native land were not bred to bred to run single any more than greyhounds or galgos..

all the real old paintings drawings always show 2 dogs running even hunting not coursing I think running single is quite a modern idea perhaps.

• Like 5
56 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

You’re right there they shouldn’t be injury prone, I’ve seen a few first crosses and owned one myself they’re as hard as nails injury wise. It seems to be these line bred coursing hybrids that throw a lot of injury prone stock, I don’t know why but the majority I’ve seen out of romeo, bulldozer, rover etc you couldn’t get a full season out of them.

Thats not to say they’re all like that but a good 80% of the ones I’ve seen in the past few years I’d say were a lot softer built than your first crosses. Coursing dog enthusiasts will say I’m talking shit but hand on heart that’s the truth I’ve no reason to lie. I wish they weren’t injury prone cause I’d have had a lot less trouble with the ones i had. 

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, two crows said:

all the real old paintings drawings always show 2 dogs running even hunting not coursing I think running single is quite a modern idea perhaps.

Perhaps we forget in this age of supermarkets, take aways  and relative prosperity, that the lurchers of years ago, to the Salukis of the Beduin,  and the stag hounds and 'roo hounds of Australian settlers, were kept for a purpose; to provide food for the family !

Running doubled up improved the chances of a meal ! 

Just like the miners whippets were kept to put a rabbit or two on the table and then natural competition brought about racing, so the lurchers progressed to being run for sport and competition, but we shouldn't forget their original purpose !

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 6