Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been some tidy Deerhounds imported the last few years from France and Germany that I know of and are from working stock and they themselves are worked. There is a lot of disparity when it comes to Deerhounds and some are big heavy useless looking things but others look like they could put a shift in. Here is a few pics of the pups out 1/2 cross litter I bred and are now 8month old. 

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0495.PNG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

Edited by MickC
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, MickC said:

There has been some tidy Deerhounds imported the last few years from France and Germany that I know of and are from working stock. There is a lot of disparity when it comes to Deerhounds and some are big heavy useless looking things but others look like they could put a shift in. Here is a few pics of the pups out 1/2 cross litter I bred and are now 8month old. 

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0495.PNG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

Cracking looking dogs are they alright for wind that cross or do they burn out quite quick

18 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

Good points made, think thats an important part of breeding, admitting when you get failures. It’s the worst feeling in the world rearing something for 18 months and it doesn’t make the grade, but if you make excuses for it & breed from it down the line you're just asking for more failures. If we’re honest real good ones dont come along very often. 

There's another side to that though I wonder how many top class prospects have been ruined by bad owners. See it all the time young dogs with flat feet, long nails, no muscle, that sad look in their eyes. Then beside them an owner scratching his head wondering why it’s not a killing machine & blaming the dog or the breeding. 

Again pal one million percent YES a lot of the Saluki types X's and pures aren't first season dogs takes them a while to get boxing together and others run head up from the off ?

Worst thing for that type is to be re homed and I stand by that it's something in their makeup some of the best Hounds I've seen were not too clever till second season on the land and many would have given  up on them

Another thing I had to do with terrier men not just running dogs and that was often gameness would skip a generation have not seen it apply in lurchers very often perhaps because of Breeding best to best but have often wondered if that happens with our runners and have folk culling missed the boat as it were ??

Edited by juckler123
  • Like 1

Shadow I had Deerhounds in 80s and early 90s for a bit and they where fine, no doubt I will find out this coming season how these pups are going to perform. The bitch pup I kept back will run about all day when out and is a bit of a character which I like to see in a pup .

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, MickC said:

There has been some tidy Deerhounds imported the last few years from France and Germany that I know of and are from working stock and they themselves are worked. There is a lot of disparity when it comes to Deerhounds and some are big heavy useless looking things but others look like they could put a shift in. Here is a few pics of the pups out 1/2 cross litter I bred and are now 8month old. 

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0495.PNG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

Very typey pal ???

I ran with half crossed deerhounds for a good few seasons the best imho was the ones thrown to greyhound in build but had everything deerhound added those ones were perfect hounds ?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mC HULL said:

Ballyregan Bob was put over angie Tepe gawra saluki I think out a that litter a dog called beanie got put to swoop direct merlin eve good producer that’s how cualdfields joe was bred 
From what I heard read he had a similar style to swoop lucky was was out of joe and a bitch called seal 

Spot on old Luke was seals sire out of Queenie some class animals came out of Luke ?

Alwyn had a belter Becky she was no good for the first season Alwyn stuck with her and when she clicked he said hand on heart best bitch he owned