Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

At some point if they not kennel blind they will realise you was right and not critisicing mate 

there’s some great old boys on here wether it coursing dogs or lurchers lamping ferreting knowledgeable men 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I’m same two crow I wouldn’t go back to a grey been there good killers but you start loosing brain and getting to much speed better linebred with the odd outcross to a saluki there’s older men with a lot more experience think that’s the way aswell and you learn as you get older to listen to your elders lol

I think it’s a fair point to listen to men with more experience, there’s always something to be learned, but worth remembering a lot of the older men are giving opinions based on their experience running only fens, times have changed you can’t walk massive land all day as if you own it so you need to adapt your dogs as well as your hunting style. I’ve seen a few lurchers back to pure Salukis and I wouldn’t own any of them for running medium fields, there’s definitely better options. People will disagree but I’m speaking purely based on what I’ve seen so all our experiences will be different. 

Edited by Shadow100
52 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Two Crows you wouldn't of had that initial good solid first cross without the greyhound blood ?

For lamping max I don’t think you will get a better half cross I seen a good few half saluki grey dynamite on everything on the lamp a great all rounder 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

I think it’s a fair point to listen to men with more experience, there’s always something to be learned, but worth remembering a lot of the older men are giving opinions based on their experience running only fens, times have changed you can’t walk massive land all day as if you own it so you need to adapt your dogs as well as your hunting style. I’ve seen a few lurchers back to pure Salukis and I wouldn’t own any of them for running medium fields, there’s definitely better options. People will disagree but I’m speaking purely based on what I’ve seen so all our experiences will be different. 

most my running is not fen never was each to thaire own but to go forward we must be honest not pig headed.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

I have been told not listened then realised they was right regarding they grey mate lol still killed plenty but wasn’t were I wanted to be 

you say about smaller fields with the more grey in there I found I didn’t kill aswell in smaller fields unless kick ups more saluki  in there once the get there right good brain work the hare stay close as it’s hedging pressure at the right time that got better result 

Once crossed to a grey like a croc behind hare snapping diving in but a good hare on a small land you cant give it twenty yards or it’s gone and all the diving in missing loosing ground definately make for less dead hares mate 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I have been told not listened then realised they was right regarding they grey mate lol still killed plenty but wasn’t were I wanted to be 

you say about smaller fields with the more grey in there I found I didn’t kill aswell in smaller fields unless kick ups more saluki  in there once the get there right good brain work the hare stay close as it’s hedging pressure at the right time that got better result 

Once crossed to a grey like a croc behind hare snapping diving in but a good hare on a small land you cant give it twenty yards or it’s gone and all the diving in missing loosing ground definately make for less dead hares mate 

a hare can cope with a dog rushing up behind, but they don't like being manipulated by a clever dog.

• Like 2
Just now, two crows said:

a hare can cope with a dog rushing up behind, but they don't like being manipulated by a clever dog.

100% two crows and at cover they hate a dog that’s tight just following when you go to the grey the hare just set the dog up at cover make it miss but it’ll be close lol and gone and after loosing 50 hares that way it might if your real lucky realise the error of it’s ways but I wouldn’t hold my breath

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, two crows said:

That’s true but a dog can be as clever if it wants but if it doesn’t have the gears to outpace the hare in the first place it’s not going to kill it. They don’t need to be rockets but if they’re too steady they’re definitely no good for fields

3 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

That’s true but a dog can be as clever if it wants but if it doesn’t have the gears to outpace the hare in the first place it’s not going to kill it. They don’t need to be rockets but if they’re too steady they’re definitely no good for fields

ok

20 minutes ago, two crows said:

ok

Like I said in my previous post I’m going off what I’ve seen with my own eyes, most of my running is on medium fields and the last 4 coursing dog x pures I’ve seen could kill round hull, Lincoln etc but up where I go none of them killed so a lot of them do lack gear it’s just a fact. Just opinions though were all different

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

Is there any coursing lines that have had no direct Greyhound influence in them? 

I don't know my early stuff was light on greyhound I used whippet over a beddy lurcher x saluki then put that to a dog bred from her brother to a saluki lurcher and then line bred back to my old bitch      level about 23" and as good as any about today.