Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Getting back to Deerhounds, here's a few of my pals;

A leash of pups;

IMG_0683.JPG.162bc62c7fbd41d9b55b5fd010ba717c.JPG

A pair of Adults;

IMG_0687.JPG.fd6eb2cf0c10fdd19150c99a4d50cb01.JPG

This bitch could easily be mistaken for a half cross or a lurcher because of her colouring, conformation and size, but is 100% deerhound.

FullSizeRender.jpg.23cb56ceafbc137a05e979bd27325d28.jpg

Cheers.

I like this one Charti very alike the breed the lads I know in Yorkshire keep I can remember runts being sold on imho those smaller types were the best of the bunch of like to see more being bred that were not tall same as the pure salukis they are far too big for me ?

Love the deerhounds they have a lot to offer good noses good brains and good feet and when it comes to thickness of skin they have to be the thickest of all the pure sighthounds..

Quality pics of quality hounds ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dodger said:

Very interesting n complex breeding and as everyone knows there's no guarantees what ever you do and depending on what you want to do but to just try and put the odds in your favour best you can..

Personally for me if looking for a pup and if I can I like a tight line bred dog put to an outcross and then go back to the same tight line later, or you can do it the other way round say a first cross for example then put that first cross to a tight line bred dog to save time depending on what you want to achieve, or I like a lurcher x lurcher dog put to another lurcher x lurcher dog but although they can be unrelated would like both dogs to be line bred with possible odd related dogs back down there lines to try and give chance of genes tying in together, two tight line bred dogs put together has more chance to keep the positive qualities but then as you know also the negatives so two tight bred dogs together would be fine but as said I'd be looking at the out cross at some point and then go back later, time consuming but great if you can get a pup off someone that has already put the time in.

Obviously two random dogs can produce and iv seen and liked lurcher x lurchers of unknown breeding and for me if the dog is good at its job then I don't care to much about the breeding of it but when looking into breeding pups or obtaining a pup from someone else yes I have and would take a chance depending on the situation but random matings makes things much more of a lottery than breeding already is so would always when possible try to put the odds in your favour best you can and also study the peds best you can to make sure that there is strong producers throughout it along with dogs that been tested and lasted followed  then by hopefully a good dose of good luck.

You have it in one Dodger outcross every few generations then straight back in to the line I honestly think that's the secret given to the right lads and it works from everything I've seen bless ya bud ?

Think if lads followed your advice many hounds would go from strength to strength ?

3 minutes ago, TOMO said:

That's a nice looking hound in that bottom pick charts

It looks even better in the flesh, it's around the same stamp as my half cross, not really surprising as they both have a lot of Doxhope blood. I'll see if I can borrow it this coming season and torment a hare or two on the Northumberland fells.

Cheers.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

You have it in one Dodger outcross every few generations then straight back in to the line I honestly think that's the secret given to the right lads and it works from everything I've seen bless ya bud ?

Think if lads followed your advice many hounds would go from strength to strength ?

It’s just my view and what I like mate not really advise purse.

Another important thing is the importance of a breeder getting the pups into the correct hands and what happens to the ones that don’t make the grade but that’s another matter n there’s not many men like that left.

• Like 1

Good points made, think thats an important part of breeding, admitting when you get failures. It’s the worst feeling in the world rearing something for 18 months and it doesn’t make the grade, but if you make excuses for it & breed from it down the line you're just asking for more failures. If we’re honest real good ones dont come along very often. 

There's another side to that though I wonder how many top class prospects have been ruined by bad owners. See it all the time young dogs with flat feet, long nails, no muscle, that sad look in their eyes. Then beside them an owner scratching his head wondering why it’s not a killing machine & blaming the dog or the breeding. 

Edited by Shadow100
6 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

England Expects was a Stayer who had good early toe.

He was best between prob 550-680m but got the 720m strong enough at Competition level.

Banksy was def more Marathon.

Held the Track Rec over Notts 906m I think it was but in reality wanted 1500m.

Them distances ceased to exist competitively in Scurlough Champs days sadly.

Both dogs Sire was Westmead Hawk a double Derby Winner who for injury would of went on to break all records over 6 bends.

England Expects Dam was Move Over Marie.

Art Banksy Dam was Sharon's Hollie ' her Dam was Move Over Marie's. Belly sister Clover Nell. And her sire the dog with suicidel pace Premier Fantasy ' although PF Dam line was bred to stay longer than your mother in law.

They were by a flying Machine called El Zito out of a well known Irish line in Calin Dilis.

As with everything re dogs or horses to get continuity breeding is everything.

In the race game anyways and most prob in all things sporting re animals.

Either of those dogs would have been a good line for my deer x, who's dam was a Sonic Flight bitch, same sire as Westmead Hawk. I should have mated her, Tomo would have had a pup ! LOL !

Cheers.

• Like 2

Bob was put over any bitch that the owner had the money for the stud fee ! Shame, as he and Scurlough where right up there with the greatest.

I'm sure Molly had a pup out of Bob and a lurcher, but it didn't make the grade.

Cheers.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Too add I'm sure it was Ballyreagan Bob that was put over a coursing bitch that eventually led to Caufields Joe which in turn led to Marcus Lucky ?

The likes of Juckler will prob know better.

I’m sure he was bred to a pure saluki to produce a dog called beanie, that was then put to swoop to produce caulfields joe

• Like 3

I like the idea of lurcher back to a good greyhound, a lot of people disregard it & say they’re injury prone but how many have actually witnessed it first hand, most will just have seen it written on here or heard a mate say it then repeat it as if it’s fact.

A lot of lurchers I’ve seen in the past few years lack urgency, happy just to cruise up to something as if they've got all day and before you know it, it’s made a wood. An outcross to a greyhound would fix that problem, it might have its downsides but so does every breed so it’s definitely worth a go in my book.

After all without the greyhound blood what would we have? Empty freezers.

• Like 3

Nothing to add but I ran a Pure Grey many years ago that was as good as anything I've had since except stamina wise, did get a few injuries due to pace but it killed everything from small rabbit to deer and had a hatred of teeth. I still reckon it was down to the fact I got him in my early teens and did everything with him. Never owned a lead with that dog after the first two weeks with him and used to sleep with my cat. 

Cracking thread this, thanks for everyone's input. 

• Like 3