Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

I must have had a drink when I posted this as it should be titled pure breeds but glad you all got it and good to see the thread going still..

Good on you all ?

Some brilliant contributions and  I have enjoyed reading through it  now ?

Now for my tenpence worth for what it's worth ?

I see we are on hound origins now lol 

Imho there is no such thing as a pure bred really ?

Most dogs are either down from certain lines of progenitors not just the wolf ?

Many have been created by crossing these progenitors together and many much later crossed in recent times to create what is about today..

The oldest sighthound stuff is definitely middle Eastern origin from archaeological finds and I believe on a separate path to the wolf descendents ..

The saluki is not a pure breed imho it's a lurcher a drop eared one and is the Galgo a lurcher too (Thanks Sandymere have loved the posts )

Evidence for drop eared hounds is the earliest and all this rubbish of afghan sloughi tazi taigan saluki and Galgo etc  Is just a modern spin on what is regional sighthound types that suit the country they live in  like a good old lurcher needs to be bred.

I am not derailing the thread the pure breeds used today are what they are classed as so keep it going ?

Would be interesting to hear of other breeds that have graced the lurcher game too at one time or another like the terriers the hounds setters etc 

All have things to offer and if we hadn't created these types we wouldn't be able to try em ?

ATVB 

• Like 2

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only difference is a pair of scissors dodger in truth pal ?

I cut feathers when I'm running in winter if they are heavy especially tail feathers as it affects their balance when they pick up mud etc  imo.

I like the feathered for their feet lots of protection and on the hocks but the feathers don't suit the mud in the  UK so it's scissor time if needed ?

Edited by juckler123
  • Like 2
48 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

Only difference is a pair of scissors dodger in truth pal ?

I cut feathers when I'm running in winter if they are heavy especially tail feathers as it affects their balance when they pick up mud etc  imo.

I like the feathered for their feet lots of protection and on the hocks but the feathers don't suit the mud in the  UK so it's scissor time if needed ?

Are the featherd variety more inclined to run off than there smooth eared counterparts would u say 

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Are the featherd variety more inclined to run off than there smooth eared counterparts would u say 

When I was a kid it was always featherd that was about I didn't see smooths until the last decade.

I'm not sure about obedience but I hate the nervy types they should never be bred from.

Running wise iv seen both featherd and smooth go and I found the smooth that bit sharper but it could be coincidence as I did own a little featherd pure that was a sharp little thing great temperament aswell she would walk by your side and rest her head on your shoulder all the way to the land while driving..

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dodger said:

When I was a kid it was always featherd that was about I didn't see smooths until the last decade.

I'm not sure about obedience but I hate the nervy types they should never be bred from.

Running wise iv seen both featherd and smooth go and I found the smooth that bit sharper but it could be coincidence as I did own a little featherd pure that was a sharp little thing great temperament aswell she would walk by your side and rest her head on your shoulder all the way to the land while driving..

That's a trait the dog I have now has dodger the head on the shoulder when driving lol 

What lines was she ?

Regards speed a lot of saluki litters here you had to pick the flyers in a litter to get the best ones ..

It was getting easier as the fastest were getting bred together more and more and one or two had very even strains but very close bred.

I've seen plodders in both feathered and smooths and I've seen flyers too and they can run for fun can't they ?

I asked Hamed Guhnaim if he preferred feathered or smooth, he said in his opinion coat made absolutely no diffence.

IMG_0513.JPG.f9e42c27ab043dab6f84aed16210a627.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG.df5590e13a65293ae1d920c964e9a051.JPG

I think it's the same with lurchers, rough or smooth makes no difference to performance, it's purely aesthetic and personal choice. ?

Cheers.

• Like 3
On 02/06/2020 at 11:10, tatsblisters said:

Was this dog from the mid 70s juckler only a well known middleweight boxer from Rotherham had a bitch very similar purchased as a pup from some lads from Sheffield that turned into a well known hare killing dog on the fields around s.yorks .

It was she would have been bred about 1975 sorry for late reply ?

On 01/06/2020 at 13:15, Shadow100 said:

I think I’ve just got a soft spot for them because I grew up round a few if I’m honest, but I do like fast dogs, I won’t keep something that’s not got plenty speed they don’t suit me.

Got to say though mate the dogs I’ve seen with the worst feet have been generation bred coursing hybrids, saw a couple out of Romeo that would smash their feet up running on sand.

By looking at your pictures you’ve been in to dogs a long time. Would you say you’ve noticed as times gone on, lurchers in general have got less durable? When I first started out I don’t remember dogs having half as many injuries as a lot of them do now.

My first dog virtually never needed time off apart from the off barbed wire rip, but in the past few years I’ve seen & owned dogs that need constant maintenance, and basically wrapped in cotton wool to get them through a season. 

Mint question this and I would like to hear others views on today's hounds too ? 

For my view it's not often I see the old type rough n ready deerhoundy collie mix I think a lot of the new strains probably aren't as tough as many don't line breed like they should ?

On 06/02/2023 at 19:34, jigsaw said:

What region in price do these pups cost sandy? Are they huge money?I'm wondering the ones with more successful parents,...I'd expect their quiet pricey.

HOWS THAT BLACKEY LOL

Anybody have an idea or somewhere they have a price up

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Try contacting these;

GREYHOUNDSINNEED.CO.UK

The Galgos from Spain for homing in the UK. All of the galgos we rescue are tested for Leishmaniasis, Babesiosis...

Cheers.

Doesn't look like that would be the wisest choice.

I'd be getting in touch with sandymere, off here, personally.

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1