Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

3 minutes ago, fireman said:

No coursing dog has ever been bred to kill hares,it's you lads that want them to kill hares that breed them to kill hares. Coursing and killing hares are totaly different sports..

the saluki was always bred to kill hares and bigger animals the poaching man needing to feed his family have always wanted lurchers and dogs to kill hares 

rich nobility were the ones that chased hares without a thought as to killing them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, mC HULL said:

the saluki was always bred to kill hares and bigger animals the poaching man needing to feed his family have always wanted lurchers and dogs to kill hares 

rich nobility were the ones that chased hares without a thought as to killing them 

A lurcher has and always will be a poor thing to use to catch a hare and a snare is far more effective and quieter for the poaching man and catching other things far out wieghed having a hare killing dog ..The saluki was bred for the sport of coursing and not to kill hares and from them the sport of coursing and the dogs bred for the sport travelled to the rest of the world...That is the history of coursing mate  :victory:....

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, fireman said:

A lurcher has and always will be a poor thing to use to catch a hare and a snare is far more effective and quieter for the poaching man and catching other things far out wieghed having a hare killing dog ..The saluki was bred for the sport of coursing and not to kill hares and from them the sport of coursing and the dogs bred for the sport travelled to the rest of the world...That is the history of coursing mate  :victory:....

nothing better than a saluki lurcher for catching hares you wouldn’t catch as many snaring i know that ? 

what other things ? hare was sought after in the 60s to late 80s 

a saluki was bred for sport to course come on ? it was bred for thousands a years to put meat on the table not to get dragged about by a hare 

• Like 3

Interesting topping nice to see they passion still in some lads to debate running dogs breeds shame in not to many years no youngsters will Evan no what coursing or filed craft mooching was about and less they do a virtual one for Xbox or tablet 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, D Lloyd said:

Interesting topping nice to see they passion still in some lads to debate running dogs breeds shame in not to many years no youngsters will Evan no what coursing or filed craft mooching was about and less they do a virtual one for Xbox or tablet 

got to get the young uns at it mate ? 1D1E9B90-EC41-4042-9A91-21FEEE866AB5.png.b20ccde9aef6d31f3c0fb59790d5b0d0.png

• Like 8
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

I’ve asked many times ; if galago’s are so good, why weren’t they used instead of Salukis here to produce coursing types ?

After all, it must have been far easier to bring in galago’s from Spain than bring in saluki’s from the Middle East !

Cheers.

Exotics Charts

Some people just feel the need to try something different, sometimes it's a genuine urge to improve what we've always had then theres the type who go with Galagos ect

1 hour ago, D Lloyd said:

That's a good idea mate but the rug will be pulled out from under them very soon. It's so shit to see

My lad is keen as to go run some rabbits but it's bad enough not having many about but we now it's the next thing they will ban

• Like 1
14 hours ago, mC HULL said:

a saluki was bred for sport to course come on ? it was bred for thousands a years to put meat on the table not to get dragged about by a hare 

Genuine question, Gooey, why do so many saluki bred dogs get dragged about for 4, 5 or more minutes, even when some of them have had very close slips, if salukis are so superior to other sighthound types?

Like I said, not a dig.  ?

Edited by shaaark
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Genuine question, Gooey, why do so many saluki bred dogs get dragged about for 4, 5 or more minutes, even when some of them have had very close slips, if salukis are so superior to other sighthounds?

to kill a strong hare the dog will have to sit in mate and use it’s head gears and mouth at the right time 

24 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Genuine question, Gooey, why do so many saluki bred dogs get dragged about for 4, 5 or more minutes, even when some of them have had very close slips, if salukis are so superior to other sighthound types?

The best of hares take that long to catch, I’ve seen real fast types with good mouths given short slips and still get blown away in the end by a strong hare as that type of dog dont have that extra weapon of bottomless stamina which is needed to catch the best hares that why saluki cross are the best, you can’t say you’ve got a top notch dog if it can’t catch a top notch hare 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, D Lloyd said:

That's a good idea mate but the rug will be pulled out from under them very soon. It's so shit to see

Won't be pulled from under my lad he's keen as feck for it and told the copper who pulled us coming off a perm you'll never stop me doing what I love ? copper took it in humor but I knew the lad wasn't joking about 

• Like 1

Still plenty of running going on,...in fact, I recieve regular WhatsApp footage,.. from all over the UK .?

Some really exciting chases,...mostly at dawn's first light,..on and off quick...? 

Fabulous dogs, and I love to see them,..but,..I think that the writing is now,.. on the Wall...

It has been getting harder and harder, for many years,.but now I believe the 'end' does not justify the means...

The balance has changed,...too many eyes on the prize,..and the penalties for capture,... are becoming ridiculous...

Plenty of keen lads still carefully breeding, and trying to produce superb runners,...however,..quite where, and how frequently they are going to be used,..I really don't know....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

The best of hares take that long to catch, I’ve seen real fast types with good mouths given short slips and still get blown away in the end by a strong hare as that type of dog dont have that extra weapon of bottomless stamina which is needed to catch the best hares that why saluki cross are the best, you can’t say you’ve got a top notch dog if it can’t catch a top notch hare 

Yeah but them lads with collie crosses and beddy crosses catch hares so must be hare dogs ?? I know a couple spots where I've took lads that thought they had good dogs and get their arsed dragged about for a few min then hare drops a gear and pulls away. There the spots I run to see how second season dog us shaping up if it kills em there they'll kill anywhere the best of hares.