Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

2 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Saluki offers more than stamina and good feet. I’ve actually saw plenty saluki lurchers with bad feet. They give a lurcher a running brain that no other cross has, they can predict what something will do & force it to go where it doesn’t want to. The stamina/recovery they give is brilliant but the running brain is what they really add for me. I wouldn’t have a dog without saluki in, but I wouldn’t have one with too much either.

well that fair enough then, i knew a bloke who had saluki x grey x collie x grey, big 27in dog good on day stuff , and do fox as well, had great feet, maybe that came from the collie then, as norm they have nice tight feet, suppose when you say hunting brain, you mean boxing a hare in etc , or holding back when to strike, my 2   1xs would , more Buck would bust a gut to grab is quarry quick, most times he catch ,  had strong prey drive , but i know what you mean using there brain  on there quarry with a saluki, and like most breeds nothing to much in there , that blokes dog had 1/4 that was plenty enough .

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Saluki offers more than stamina and good feet. I’ve actually saw plenty saluki lurchers with bad feet. They give a lurcher a running brain that no other cross has, they can predict what something will do & force it to go where it doesn’t want to. The stamina/recovery they give is brilliant but the running brain is what they really add for me. I wouldn’t have a dog without saluki in, but I wouldn’t have one with too much either.

I’m not a saluki expert but own a dog who is 1/4 saluki about 1/8 collie the rest is grew. The saluki has definitely brought something Different. Yes he’s sulky but when he’s working the rocks on the hills or lamping he just seems to run clever. He hunts things pretty decent daytime too and will follow scent well. He will retrieve most things from long distances. He’s  been unlucky with injuries. Accidents when working rather than bad breeding. Like I say I’m no expert but the right saluki has to offer more than just stamina or good feet. 

6A53BC96-49EC-43E7-AA82-900C4C1DFC1F.jpeg

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, C.green said:

Find the saluki can give a dog abit of style but they aint the allrounder folks try to say they are especially nowadays.

That’s why I’ve not bred from him. He will Hunt and take most things but he wouldn’t do it all in style. I got him as a rabbit dog to start with and he didn’t really start on anything else until he was 3 or 4. He’s taken to hunting on the hills pretty well considering. Depends what folk want I suppose 

5 minutes ago, white van man said:

That’s why I’ve not bred from him. He will Hunt and take most things but he wouldn’t do it all in style. I got him as a rabbit dog to start with and he didn’t really start on anything else until he was 3 or 4. He’s taken to hunting on the hills pretty well considering. Depends what folk want I suppose 

I had a dog related to your youngster took the dog everywhere never let me down but he didnt do everything how id seen/expected good dogs to do things. There was times when hed kill stuff in a quick sprint then go through stages of killing 2 fields away. That brain can make them do funny things. If you want a dog for bit of everything need that bull or collie and coursing dog to mix right in my opinion

• Like 1

I've never had a dog with heavily saturated blood so wouldn't know this. 

The great Brian Plummer claimed many a times that the Saluki and heavily based Saluki lurchers were less prone to injuries due to their running style. 

Is their any truth in this or was it is typical hogwash. It does make sense as heavily saturated Greyhound types get knocked up easily. 

3 hours ago, Greb147 said:

The great Brian Plummer claimed many a times that the Saluki and heavily based Saluki lurchers were less prone to injuries due to their running style. 

Is their any truth in this or was it is typical hogwash. It does make sense as heavily saturated Greyhound types get knocked up easily. 

In my experience your first crosses are tough as old boots, but a lot of your line bred coursing stuff can be more fragile. I think reason for that is with the big name line bred stuff there’s been a lot of men bred off injury prone stuff to make a few quid rather than admit they’re no good. Whereas the home bred stuff you don’t get as much of that. That’s just my theory behind it could be way off.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Strange how plummber ran collie greyhounds an promoted and peddled the like but thought the saluki was the better option over greyhound wonder if he put himself in a trance like state to come up with that one ?

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, poxon said:

Strange how plummber ran collie greyhounds an promoted and peddled the like but thought the saluki was the better option over greyhound wonder if he put himself in a trance like state to come up with that one ?

I think plummer was a disciple of joseph goebbels. Another master of propaganda.

There are a couple on this site too. ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
7 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I think plummer was a disciple of joseph goebbels. Another master of propaganda.

There are a couple on this site too. ?

I find the statement strange because courseing there wasn’t a ban in place when he was active breeding,peddling what have ya greyhounds were coursed then but he chose to use ex track racers/failures but in all his books he promoted the shit out of what he was selling but then says he thought the saluki was better than greyhounds. I could understand if say in more recent times the statement was made an he was still active but at the same time if people bred just normal sound constructed lurchers instead of every time they bred keep turbocharging them to greyhounds they wouldn’t loose hybridisation 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, poxon said:

I find the statement strange because courseing there wasn’t a ban in place when he was active breeding,peddling what have ya greyhounds were coursed then but he chose to use ex track racers/failures but in all his books he promoted the shit out of what he was selling but then says he thought the saluki was better than greyhounds. I could understand if say in more recent times the statement was made an he was still active but at the same time if people bred just normal sound constructed lurchers instead of every time they bred keep turbocharging them to greyhounds they wouldn’t loose hybridisation 

Only like that a bit not loads like 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, poxon said:

Not forgetting Plummer never ever promoted the breeding of lurcher to lurcher any body who has been around lurchers for a wile knows some of the best dogs are produced this way.

• Like 3

Plummer was a writer first and foremost, he sold loads of books, and at one time, he was the most stolen author from public libraries.

He told people what they wanted to hear, he was a story teller. His dogs never seen anything like the work other lads dogs did.

I remember him coming up here to try and buy game birds and a local breed of small Jack Russell's, he was laughed out of the pub within minutes.

I read and enjoyed his books back then, just like a lot of people, shame he began believe his own nonsense.

Cheers.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, poxon said:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; ?

• Like 1