Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

50 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Everyone has their own preferences but for me a fast dog with a bit of wind is the answer, I'm not into wars of attrition on every run or i'd get a beagle

As to Galgos, good Galgos catch a decent percentage of hares when run on long slips and crippling ground and I've found that when run solo they run with their brain as well as their speed, I'd say one of many decent types in this big old world?.

Like the slo mo on this.

I don't like wars all the time either, but they all get one from time to time and have to cope, all my life I hear all you need is a fast dog with a good mouth ffs if that were true I would get a grew lol, fk me that even rhymes lol, those dogs are as good as they will ever be I am afraid.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

I've wondered before about hares after I've seen them slow down, and even sit down and let a dog get back on terms if it could be a genetic thing after generations of coursed hares, could they be enjoying an endorphin rush, I used to train myself and ran on the soft sand at the beach with the dogs sometimes it felt hard going a minute later I was happy and could pick it up for a few more miles of steep flights of steps and inclines, it was a buzz pushing through it

Have seen bucks run to the hound more than a few times sidekicking we used to call them Rambo hares..

The hounds were gobsmacked you could see it ?

And that's an interesting point pal and one I couldn't argue bless you for taking notice things like this are well special but only to those with eyes to see them ????

Have seen second wind a lot in hounds that's when you know what you have is the real deal ?

Awesome post and even more an awesome point ?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, two crows said:

I don't like wars all the time either, but they all get one from time to time and have to cope, all my life I hear all you need is a fast dog with a good mouth ffs if that were true I would get a grew lol, fk me that even rhymes lol, those dogs are as good as they will ever be I am afraid.

Can't argue with that pal but when there up to their knees in slop I might ??

7 hours ago, sandymere said:

I reckon a lot depends on both ground and if they have been run before, on  hard ground, short grass etc they can get a better pace and if they know what a running dog is they don't hang about. Whereas on longer stubble or heavy ground they are a fair bit slower and add in that if they've just been chased by farm collies they don't to not take dogs to seriously then they become an easier option. I've shared some of the UK videos to Spain, North Africa etc and they weren't impressed by how the hares run but they need to bear in mind what effects the hares also effects the dogs and heavy ground takes it toll on both and impacts on the speed, agility etc so you can end up with a slower course but that is as gruelling as a faster course on good going.

Interesting point pal when hare has top of the ground and dog is sinking in does it for me  it's what floats your boat at end of the day ?

7 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

Think there’s a big difference in the dogs in the videos as well sandy, you never see any dogs in those foreign videos working a hare, boxing it away from a dyke, hedge etc. They seem to just run up their arse. The dogs in this country have adapted to work a hare not just chase after it, this maybe gives the impression that the hares over here aren’t as fast, but it could be that they’re not just in a flat out sprint all the way through the course like the ones in those videos are

A good dog slows the course down one million percent Shadow ???

4 hours ago, mC HULL said:

Hard going hares can fly but so can dogs some can run it real well but are always going to struggle to get down and on the turn especially if it’s loose going aswell 

when it’s heavy it takes more out a the dog and make it a lot harder then out them Spanish a running lol greb when it’s real heavy clay the hare will slow up get in trouble quicker it’s feet a balled up with clay real good going for young dogs mate 

even that clip where brindle dog is single running that hare was weak as soon as dog got to it no turns kicking on 40 yds it was in trouble straight away couldn’t get a yard it’s like that here early season 

Spot on ?

8 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

Think there’s a big difference in the dogs in the videos as well sandy, you never see any dogs in those foreign videos working a hare, boxing it away from a dyke, hedge etc. They seem to just run up their arse. The dogs in this country have adapted to work a hare not just chase after it, this maybe gives the impression that the hares over here aren’t as fast, but it could be that they’re not just in a flat out sprint all the way through the course like the ones in those videos are

I don't think any dog boxes its hare when competing against another, especially a strange dog, but that's just the nature of the beast be it Saluki or anything but that doesn't mean they can't when run solo, my galgos use their head and gears running solo but will still fly in when competing against another dog, the competitive nature is what makes them push their boundaries. Good dogs of any type are good because they push their boundaries.?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, sandymere said:

I don't think any dog boxes its hare when competing against another, especially a strange dog, but that's just the nature of the beast be it Saluki or anything but that doesn't mean they can't when run solo, my galgos use their head and gears running solo but will still fly in when competing against another dog, the competitive nature is what makes them push their boundaries. Good dogs of any type are good because they push their boundaries.?

Fair play sandy you like what you like, just the way I see it, 1 dog & 1 hare is the way to see how good a dog is, I’m not a fan of coursing DVD’s of any kind but if you watch the chalky & the boys ones there’s a red bitch called tilly, she stands out a mile for me. She’s got gears, wind, heart & a running brain to put it all together. I’ve never seen a dog in any Spanish or Middle Eastern video, or any other country for that matter, that would even be fit to sit in the same car as that bitch. Just my opinion we’re all different, it’s what makes things interesting.

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 2

I gotta say i appreciate the effort, breeding, training etc that goes in to conditioning a decent dog and likewise i prefer one dog running solo but each to their own and I also enjoy seeing two dogs running against each other.

At the end of the day a good hare on the right ground will stretch any dog and that's a good thing.

Edited by sandymere
6 hours ago, two crows said:

I don't know about Spanish hares, but I do know that double handed competitive coursing, makes people think speed is the answer to every thing, it is not, slow old fen dogs would never catch a hare if it was, fast dogs on fast ground will make a hare look fast, but a fast dog with ability will cruise up take control and slow things down, I see a bitch run regular that does this very well, runs so tight its uncanny, once locked on its almost when not if, never seems flustered, that's what a coursing dog is, not a fking greyhound, that bitch wont be bragged  about or seen on  u tube.

One hundred million percent yes ?

No matter how tight the field is or what ground most don't understand this is what makes a dog a real one and it comes with experience as much as breeding imho ?

1 hour ago, sandymere said:

I gotta say i appreciate the effort, breeding, training etc that goes in to conditioning a decent dog and likewise i prefer one dog running solo but each to their own and I also enjoy seeing two dogs running against each other.

At the end of the day a good hare on the right ground will stretch any dog and that's a good thing.

You missing it Sandymere two.dogs will never control a hare one will that's why the lads here run single with all respect bud I know what you are seeing but it's not coursing it's chasing ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sandymere said:

I won a lot of matches with a nasty hound back in the day he had them beat before they were slipped if their owners had been aware they would have known he was growling them off the kill good post pal and again very very interesting ?