Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

9 hours ago, two crows said:

good answer there, the  thing with coursing dogs as a whole, they have evolved into different types to suit different land, some men like the steady type, 5/6 minuets, others like a faster more aggressive style, and have bred for these traits, so if you want to add to a fast lurcher type, don't use a fen dog, the lines do matter so look for lines that produce what suits you, and your stye of running dog don't trust luck.

Amen to that ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Allan P said:

Ffs back to the drawing board and over thinking then ?

12 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

To be fair I’ve noticed the opposite with the saluki based dogs I’ve had, you can trot & gallop them for 6-8 weeks pre season but when you start running them they still look half flat, takes a fair bit of running to sharpen them up. 

Really ??!  maybe show types pal but not purpose bred salukis have had slower lurchers many times in my life good breeding is everything imho

On 03/06/2020 at 16:53, maxhardcore said:

How was Wolfie bred Juckler ?

Not sure max I have it on a hard drive from Tony Smith but have no pc at the moment to get to see it I remember the greyhound whippet was a lad called Jason Sutton's  dog don't know if Wolfie was merlin and eve or out of fly am sorry ?

7 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

Really ??!  maybe show types pal but not purpose bred salukis have had slower lurchers many times in my life good breeding is everything imho

I’m not on about the speed of the dog, what I meant was all the saluki blooded dogs I’ve had need about 6 weeks of actual running before you see them start to get fit, and I think as they get fitter they improve drastically,  get a lot sharper.

Like you couldn’t trot them for 6 weeks and they’d run at their best first few times out, I think they need a good few weeks of actual running before you see what they’re about

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

I’m not on about the speed of the dog, what I meant was all the saluki blooded dogs I’ve had need about 6 weeks of actual running before you see them start to get fit, and I think as they get fitter they improve drastically,  get a lot sharper.

Like you couldn’t trot them for 6 weeks and they’d run at their best first few times out, I think they need a good few weeks of actual running before you see what they’re about

To be fair that’s applicable to all Lurchers. 

• Like 2

Got ya pal like most hounds what you put in is what you get out ?

You not wrong I didn't realise speed they had even from straight out the bed if well bred though that shocked me to be fair but that was only the cruise line types the others needed work like you rightly say 

8 minutes ago, Allan P said:

To be fair that’s applicable to all Lurchers. 

I think your smaller whippet based lurchers seem to get to a good level of fitness quicker, maybe I’m wrong though I can’t say for sure

5 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

I think your smaller whippet based lurchers seem to get to a good level of fitness quicker, maybe I’m wrong though I can’t say for sure

I like small Shadow if I could breed pures 22 to 24 I'd be a happy man for me they don't break and can stick with the game easier and like you say keep condition much better ?

I might not be explaining myself very well or I might be talking utter shite. But if I had a Bull cross and a Saluki cross and neither had done any conditioning and ran a hare the Saluki cross would put up a better show due to its genetics than the Bull cross or any type for that matter.  So that’s my thinking behind having a Saluki based lurcher. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Yep, the old saying the best way to train for a fight is to fight. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Allan P said:

I might not be explaining myself very well or I might be talking utter shite. But if I had a Bull cross and a Saluki cross and neither had done any conditioning and ran a hare the Saluki cross would put up a better show due to its genetics than the Bull cross or any type for that matter.  So that’s my thinking behind having a Saluki based lurcher. 

Definitely, you can't fight genetics but you can improve on what God gave you. 

• Like 1

If your doing 6 to 8 weeks of fitness and your dogs are still flat you must be doing something wrong there pal , never had a problem getting mine fit weather its been a pure saluki or a coursing bred , alot of men go wrong with diets, iv found mine to do alot better on high carbs before runs , some dont feed a day before some feed the same morning is finding whats best for dog imo but everyone has they own theorys . Mine keep reasonabley fit all year round i mite pedal them abit august september time and i always build the numbers of runs up as the season gets on but i always change they diets up leading up to the coming season.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Westyorkshire_lad said:

If your doing 6 to 8 weeks of fitness and your dogs are still flat you must be doing something wrong there pal , never had a problem getting mine fit weather its been a pure saluki or a coursing bred , alot of men go wrong with diets, iv found mine to do alot better on high carbs before runs , some dont feed a day before some feed the same morning is finding whats best for dog imo but everyone has they own theorys . Mine keep reasonabley fit all year round i mite pedal them abit august september time and i always build the numbers of runs up as the season gets on but i always change they diets up leading up to the coming season.

I don’t mean flat as in can’t bend anything, what I mean is when you trot them for 6 weeks, that first trip out they’re a far cry away from their best, fast forward to mid-late november they look a different dog