Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

3 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

Cardio fitness takes development followed by constant maintenance regardless of breed, there's no shortcuts, I've known of lads fooling themselves of running a dog fit, but it's not the way, obviously work can bring the peak, but you want the dog in the best condition you can get them for when the season starts

Thanks for the feedback and I do understand the need for fitness and conditioning and I am certainly not fooling myself, in fact the total opposite . With working away it is difficult to keep the dog fit and by my last week at home we are getting somewhere. I’ve read quite a lot about Salukis and my thinking is that something with Saluki once fit will have a better BASE fitness and the wife can keep it ticking over walking and jogging and possibly on a running machine.Also I want something with tough feet and can take a few knocks. As I say I’m probably miles off the mark with my thinking but the way the Oil Industry is just now I might have plenty of time on hands anyway ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Allan P said:

Thanks for the feedback and I do understand the need for fitness and conditioning and I am certainly not fooling myself, in fact the total opposite . With working away it is difficult to keep the dog fit and by my last week at home we are getting somewhere. I’ve read quite a lot about Salukis and my thinking is that something with Saluki once fit will have a better BASE fitness and the wife can keep it ticking over walking and jogging and possibly on a running machine.Also I want something with tough feet and can take a few knocks. As I say I’m probably miles off the mark with my thinking but the way the Oil Industry is just now I might have plenty of time on hands anyway ?

To be fair I’ve noticed the opposite with the saluki based dogs I’ve had, you can trot & gallop them for 6-8 weeks pre season but when you start running them they still look half flat, takes a fair bit of running to sharpen them up. 

5 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

To be fair I’ve noticed the opposite with the saluki based dogs I’ve had, you can trot & gallop them for 6-8 weeks pre season but when you start running them they still look half flat, takes a fair bit of running to sharpen them up. 

Ffs back to the drawing board and over thinking then ?

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

for a man that likes saluki in his dogs, I don't read many positive comments in your posts shadow, what is it you do like.

32 minutes ago, two crows said:

for a man that likes saluki in his dogs, I don't read many positive comments in your posts shadow, what is it you do like.

They’ve got a natural running brain, and no other type comes close in terms of wind, they can have a hard run & 5 minutes later they’re ready to go again. Im not intentionally negative about them, I’m just honest about dogs I’m not kennel blind like most seem to be.

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

They’ve got a natural running brain, and no other type comes close in terms of wind, they can have a hard run & 5 minutes later they’re ready to go again. Im not intentionally negative about them, I’m just honest about dogs I’m not kennel blind like most seem to be.

good answer there, the  thing with coursing dogs as a whole, they have evolved into different types to suit different land, some men like the steady type, 5/6 minuets, others like a faster more aggressive style, and have bred for these traits, so if you want to add to a fast lurcher type, don't use a fen dog, the lines do matter so look for lines that produce what suits you, and your stye of running dog don't trust luck.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, two crows said:

good answer there, the  thing with coursing dogs as a whole, they have evolved into different types to suit different land, some men like the steady type, 5/6 minuets, others like a faster more aggressive style, and have bred for these traits, so if you want to add to a fast lurcher type, don't use a fen dog, the lines do matter so look for lines that produce what suits you, and your stye of running dog don't trust luck.

I read a nice article on the Saluki that explains how different types are used for different quarry. 

For Gazelles you want a slower type with bucket fulls of stamina because the fastest of Saluki are not as fast as the Gazelle. 

For Hares you want something with more pace, I found that confusing because I'd say a dog has more wind than the Hare. He seems to think the Hare is faster than the Saluki. I suppose a faster dog will catch it quicker and allow more runs in the day. 

Edited by Greb147
9 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Lol read  about how they can't see as a good as a human ?

Dan was ok who wrote this but did not realise a dog needs to be lifted up to see what a human can ???

They just ain't tall enough ?

Otherwise not a bad article but seriously wtf ?

Edited by juckler123
  • Haha 1