Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

Not daytime hares only ?

I mean for  filling a bag consistently feeding  the family and finding and  catching on everything from  mice upwards to the big things in life ?

And no before anyone says it i don't eat mice nor never will ?

Back in the day I kept bulls and mastiffs to guard the yard and they could work too but wouldn't have kept me fed with more than rabbits . 

I have had greyhounds too good killers but they broke easily ? have been out with pure deerhounds not my cup of tea to be honest although good finders of game especially large game but lack on smaller game imho and finding and catching are two different things.

Lurchers are bred to do a job it's why folk cross them and often get better results because of doing just that.

Would love to see a galgo in action here in the UK but are they like the salukis (not the show sort) truly a pure breed or are they similar to the drop eared sighthounds and lurchers we have today.

The beddy whippet comment bless you sandymere worst two things I ever tried were bred that way never ever again lol

No pure breeds was what I'm asking about ?

And not my own runner i was just wanting to know what others views was on the subject. 

Salukis bring a lot to the table some like what they bring others don't but have brought things to the table besides stamina greyhounds from what I've seen are a step backwards whippets would feed a street but only on small game in the main unless we are talking bred down grews..

But again they aren't pure bred if they are crossed ?

• Like 1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Floyd17586 said:

How do you rate your full bred saluki bud?I know allot don't like them saying they miss a gear but I don't know.

They do me ok bud that missing a gear is true in a lot of lines but  not working  bred a cruise line bred just may shock you speed wise they did me to be fair but how fast do you need a hound too fast and we get the speed and stamina issue ?

I hear they are thick too thats another folktale when it comes to UK working type I couldn't keep a hound if it wasn't a hundred percent obedient bless ya Floyd good question pal.

I'm just out for a walk nowadays an interesting one of course ?

6 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

How do you rate  your pure bred Juckler ' how's it bred ?

And what do you consider the best pure Youv seen and the best producer in your opinion ?

Suits me Max I lost an old lurcher strain and was struggling to find anything with same preydrive and stamina had a pure back in the eighties that was a fair tool so went with the English working strain pures after talking with lads that used to be on here that saw their family run and ran with them themselves I had given up on the idea till I came online a decade or more ago and saw there was working types not just show types. 

Mines double bred khan but I ran his parents seven years before I bred him his sire was very fast his dam just fast enough but very aggressive not like the sire who was very good at herding they kept  me happy pal and was out four and five days a week they had a lot of graft but I wanted to test them..

I like rabbit to eat and to be fair daytime rabbit dogs where I live I haven't had many that didn't need a terrier a lamp or a ferret the bitch he's out of was one of the best daytime rabbit dogs I've owned in nearly fifty years out with mutts and she wasn't just good on rabbit she would catch every day if you took her out not many have been like that for me just in the day with no help..

Regards best producer etc 

I wouldn't know pal I'd say cruise to be right John Anthony in Wales had them cracked imho with his cruise line stuff.

He bred the Asha dog that's in a few peidigrees 

But got stuck with a litter and stopped breeding that was a sad loss imho but saying that I saw a good few run on hare pre ban and although super fast if not conditioned properly lacked in stamina hard to believe in a Saluki but I can only say what I saw speed and stay is a balancing act but they weren't my dogs just friends we all need a fast dog that runs just the right pace in others hands they may have been different animals..

I have been lucky in life to get the hours in that makes all the difference one day a week is never going to get you a paragon as you already know bud ?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Don't get me started. 

Funnily enough though, the thing that got that started was actually true.

That unusual we all know the  dog game is  full of liers  ????

Edited by nothernlite
7 hours ago, mC HULL said:

Im sure they did mate but I rarely lamp them or run small grass land 

in about 1972/3 I bred a litter off fly beddy lurcher x saluki to a whippet, the land I ran was tight and hedgy typical north notts land, the dogs produced looked like strong whippets, very sharp and could kill a decent hare, I know they weren't whippets but I had to tell the tail lol

038.JPG

• Like 8
8 hours ago, mC HULL said:

The question was how many pure breeds can kill hares sandy mere put a pic of a galagos running a hare in dry terrain rough ground which is different to what we run I was wondering what they like over here as sandymere has them I thought he would no 

like I have run whippets and I no they blow up after a couple mins can’t take 100yd slips and wouldn’t even last a winter on big wind swept land without shivering to death lol

good little snipers though 

Spain is a big country with a variety of ground from freezing plains in the winter, olive groves, to mountains but in the main run big open arable land. They have 3 types of hare including the European brown hare so there dogs get tested. 

My old bitch ran pretty well on a variety of game from Devon, across to the east and up to the Midlands. ?

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, sandymere said:

Spain is a big country with a variety of ground from freezing plains in the winter, olive groves, to mountains but in the main run big open arable land. They have 3 types of hare including the European brown hare so there dogs get tested. 

My old bitch ran pretty well on a variety of game from Devon, across to the east and up to the Midlands. ?

I wonder how the Brown Hare compares to other Hares in speed and stamina. 

I've seen clips before and those Galgos look like they are flying,  I suppose the firmer ground makes it look much faster than over here. 

None of the dogs I’ve seen putting large amounts of game away have been pure breds, we cross for a reason. The greyhound (or whippet for smaller stuff) are essential we couldn’t do without them in the mix, but adding stuff to them makes a much more versatile animal that can handle a greater workload. 

I wouldn’t have a dog without saluki in but it’s a fine line & I wouldn’t want too much. Too much of any pure breed will be detrimental in my opinion it’s finding the right mix that results in a good dog. 

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, mC HULL said:

The question was how many pure breeds can kill hares sandy mere put a pic of a galagos running a hare in dry terrain rough ground which is different to what we run I was wondering what they like over here as sandymere has them I thought he would no 

like I have run whippets and I no they blow up after a couple mins can’t take 100yd slips and wouldn’t even last a winter on big wind swept land without shivering to death lol

good little snipers though 

what a load of sewage, blow up after a coiuple of mins, wouldn't last a winter, I was out every day summer and winter wi my whippet, she even amazed me, brilliant dog, she loved I gave her what she wanted

• Like 1

what was talking sewerage lol you can honestly say to me you think a whippet can hold on longer than a few minutes and then go again 

there fragile i couldn’t get a season from one 100% unless I was just rabbiting mooching smaller grass land atb

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, nothernlite said:

That unusual we all know the  dog game is  full of liers  ????

Internet dogs are a penny a pound I agree totally bud ???

It's easy to make a hound look good ferret fifty rabbits stick the mutt at the side of them 

Take pics of two hares that were tripled up on ?

Only way to buy is from folk you know and dogs you've seen run but once you buy stick with them and try your hardest to reproduce what you have we are all carrying a batton in a relay race in truth and it's as simple as that biggest respect to what has gone before.

us just like hounds have been here a few thousand years at the least atvb

Edited by juckler123
4 hours ago, two crows said:

in about 1972/3 I bred a litter off fly beddy lurcher x saluki to a whippet, the land I ran was tight and hedgy typical north notts land, the dogs produced looked like strong whippets, very sharp and could kill a decent hare, I know they weren't whippets but I had to tell the tail lol

038.JPG

I bet we aren't far from each other bud 

I like the small types loads they have more to offer sport wise even on bigger things I always said I'd retire with a terrier and a whippet when I can't walk the distance ?

Now I'm leaning more to Saluki whippet back to Saluki to get the size right down just for legal game and with a terrier still of course ?

I like them pocket rockets on hedgey land my pure bitch was 23 and a half I couldn't replicate her sadly the bitch pup made 25 the dogs 26 Its just my opinion and everyone has them I know but a good little one has always been more enjoyable to me that's a great pic again of a lovely stamp of hound ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

what was talking sewerage lol you can honestly say to me you think a whippet can hold on longer than a few minutes and then go again 

there fragile i couldn’t get a season from one 100% unless I was just rabbiting mooching smaller grass land atb

Got to agree with you Mc was brought up with whippets and they couldn't handle big land nor real hares in.the dead of winter great pot fillers local but land and time of year made a big difference on their performance ?

2 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

None of the dogs I’ve seen putting large amounts of game away have been pure breds, we cross for a reason. The greyhound (or whippet for smaller stuff) are essential we couldn’t do without them in the mix, but adding stuff to them makes a much more versatile animal that can handle a greater workload. 

I wouldn’t have a dog without saluki in but it’s a fine line & I wouldn’t want too much. Too much of any pure breed will be detrimental in my opinion it’s finding the right mix that results in a good dog. 

I got to agree pal there is a reason we cross but have you ran a well bred pure to know for sure I was like you and to be fair the line I keep isn't as strong as what's coming out today I been around strong dogs all my life I think the Nero bred hounds are as strong as any lurchers I've come across ATB 

Edited by juckler123