ROC bunkers

Been down one local to me basically stripped out ,elsan toilet ,and tub of glitto, cleaner ! Which they all seem to have ,go look on 28 dayslater site ,or subbrit ,always found cold war history interesting! 

• Like 1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So to fill my days I have been looking for places localish to explore. My neighbour told me about ROC posts. I can hand on heart say I’ve never heard of them before and was intrigued. So a wee bit dig

If it was this time 8 weeks ago....

There's a tunnel goes right under Newcastle from the town moor to the Tyne. It was built in the 1800's to transport coal from the outlying mines to the ships for export. It had to be a tunnel as the F

Posted Images

@RossM just seen this and it's an interesting part of the cold War history, if your interested the cold War, cold War conversations podcast talk to a guy in Northern Ireland that found a ROC bunker in a field talked to the land owner and ended up paying £10 for a 10 year lease on it with a view to restore it. I was in a cold war re-enactment group before I moved and there plenty of cold War sites you can visit, there's a ROC bunker near Truro that do a tour (doesnt take long to look round) but it's fully kitted out, the bloke that does the tour used to be ROC and its a fiver and gives a good account on what it was like as a former member of the ROC. Or if you want nuclear bunkers there's a few dotted around the UK, York, Essex and Scotland that still do tours that are all worth a look

• Like 2

As posted theres a few websites dotted around also take a look on the urban explorers page 28 days later https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/ theres a whole section on there and also may interest as well some of the old pill boxes that are dotted around http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/gazeteer/home-front-defence-sites/england/hampshire/hazeley-heath-tank-testing-ramp/

Edited by ferretracer
12 hours ago, AshDove said:

@RossM just seen this and it's an interesting part of the cold War history, if your interested the cold War, cold War conversations podcast talk to a guy in Northern Ireland that found a ROC bunker in a field talked to the land owner and ended up paying £10 for a 10 year lease on it with a view to restore it. I was in a cold war re-enactment group before I moved and there plenty of cold War sites you can visit, there's a ROC bunker near Truro that do a tour (doesnt take long to look round) but it's fully kitted out, the bloke that does the tour used to be ROC and its a fiver and gives a good account on what it was like as a former member of the ROC. Or if you want nuclear bunkers there's a few dotted around the UK, York, Essex and Scotland that still do tours that are all worth a look

Cold war re-enactment? What's that entail pal? I can kind off see the medieval battle thing but can't imagine what a cold war one is like, 10 people in bomber pilot get up sat round a phone? ?

Lol, a bit like that, used to do the military shows like war and peace in Kent. I have a wartburg 353, an old east German car done out like a stasi surveillance car and my dad has a uaz 469 done as an East German boarder patrol car. Was a living history group, so just talk to people about cold War history. Another bloke in the group had a full field kitchen and would use it to cook for us at the show, another bloke had a Russian armoured car. People collect all sorts lol. 

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, AshDove said:

Lol, a bit like that, used to do the military shows like war and peace in Kent. I have a wartburg 353, an old east German car done out like a stasi surveillance car and my dad has a uaz 469 done as an East German boarder patrol car. Was a living history group, so just talk to people about cold War history. Another bloke in the group had a full field kitchen and would use it to cook for us at the show, another bloke had a Russian armoured car. People collect all sorts lol. 

Sounds good should get all this sort of stuff in schools and bring it to life for them

This thread has encouraged me to do a tiny bit of research, and I'm amazed at the interesting places around Newcastle; 

The Ouseburn culvert, another tunnel converted into an air raid shelter. I used to play in there aswell.

The Kenton Bunker, a ROC bunker that was supposed to have been abandoned in the 50's, but freedom of information act says it was still in use up to 1968 but won't say what for !

Concrete mirrors near Sunderland coast to detect Zeppelins during the First World War.

Pill boxes and bunkers disguised as beach huts at North Shields.

A concrete bunker in Jesmond Dene.

The list goes on, places people walk by every day but have no idea what the are.

Very interesting.

Cheers.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, JDHUNTING said:

Sounds good should get all this sort of stuff in schools and bring it to life for them

Wouldn't know where or how to start. I do think your right though, it's OK being taught something with a lecture but seeing something adds that bit extra, a picture paints a thousand words and all that

Max got a bit  carried away when he boasted that Hitler had invaded Sunderland and was driven out, he soon blushed when I told him it was the Sudetenland. 

Edited by Greb147
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

Max got a bit  carried away when he boasted Hitler had invaded Sunderland and was driven out, he soon blushed when I told him it was the Sudetenland. 

That'll be good enough for max, if a football player so much as farted in the direction of Sunderland he claims them as home grown.