Bull lurcher 15 months old

9 minutes ago, Allan P said:

Anything under 40 mins for a 10k is great time. I run but more into longer distances because I’m not fast and just plod on and prefer trails than roads.  Good luck with your 10k and your dog who looks in great shape btw. 

Thanks for that.

I tried to type roughly seventy to eighty minutes but it put an emoji earlier.

I've just read a good book about trail running  ultra marathon. Fatman to green man good book especially if you are familiar with bristol/ bath.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It doesn’t make people soft to be worried bout there dog , to be fair if someone’s dog kept grabbing or mouthing my dog if tell ye owner get it on a led as even if your dog isn’t sinking his teeth in

My bitch has done similar.... Think she's just bored, never paid no attention to other dogs... But she's started stopping and smelling where ever another dog has pissed etc.... And running up to them.

Had a lurcher do that to the neighbours yorkie many moons ago unfortunately he hadn't a soft mouth and his retrieve was questionable at the best of times. 

Posted Images

When I enter the park most of the fanny dogs get scooped up and they leave in their owners arms..... Dickhead has already terrorised them enough ? 

As someone said, I tend to go out to the local park early or late and avoid the majority of people.

Remember Trevor my old lurcher picking up a yorkie in the park once and retrieved it live to hand ?

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, Redace said:

Thanks for that.

I tried to type roughly seventy to eighty minutes but it put an emoji earlier.

I've just read a good book about trail running  ultra marathon. Fatman to green man good book especially if you are familiar with bristol/ bath.

I’ll have a look out for it, lots of stuff on YouTube for Ultras really good for some motivation. 

2 hours ago, Allan P said:

Lots of Running dogs will mouth the back of the necks of other dogs while playing it’s in their nature. But the owners of the other  dogs just see a great big fit looking  dog attacking their beloved pooch. Also by picking it up and swinging it round getting a bit excited doesn’t help matters and only escalates things. At the end of the day it’s probably best not to put yourself in that position with other less knowledgeable dog owners.   

Also what time you doing 10 miles in?

True with the mouthing on the back of the neck, Buck did that on the back of a dob neck., and spun it over like he would  other quarry. Had  go with owner, only because his dog  had a pop at Buck 1st,  his 70 odd lb   dog wonder what hit him lol.  Just to had what whitefeet said, you better of really keeping them on a lead, suppose I never really done it much with Buck. Because he don't fight other dogs, he just real nice animal to take ou, geat with people and kids,,. But my next lutcher I will deff try more lead control, as  best really save all the shit you get, like today to collies came running at my 3 dogs, woman seen. Little Woody and Bryn 1st.didnt bother calling them back, was only when Buck came down the track she startrd to panic a bit lol, I never said one word just watched  her, was good 10 ft away from. Her and dogs, Buck just looked at them, old Bryn  looked ready to. Pop at them, as they were doing the same feckin collies carnt stand  the animals. I just carried on walking my 3 dogs followed  me the lock down suiting me lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I once was walking my dogs and a lad with a bull dog emerged suddenly from the wood line . 

Next salute , the patterdale has the bull dog In a crippler crossface guilotine , as I’m attempting to prise them apart , the lurcher gave the owner a people’s elbow before wrapping him up in a figure 4 leg lock . 

Tag team champions of the world  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Allan P said:

I’ll have a look out for it, lots of stuff on YouTube for Ultras really good for some motivation. 

I watched David goggins on youtube for motivation hes done many ultras was a good watch

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, bird said:

True with the mouthing on the back of the neck, Buck did that on the back of a dob neck., and spun it over like he would  other quarry. Had  go with owner, only because his dog  had a pop at Buck 1st,  his 70 odd lb   dog wonder what hit him lol.  Just to had what whitefeet said, you better of really keeping them on a lead, suppose I never really done it much with Buck. Because he don't fight other dogs, he just real nice animal to take ou, geat with people and kids,,. But my next lutcher I will deff try more lead control, as  best really save all the shit you get, like today to collies came running at my 3 dogs, woman seen. Little Woody and Bryn 1st.didnt bother calling them back, was only when Buck came down the track she startrd to panic a bit lol, I never said one word just watched  her, was good 10 ft away from. Her and dogs, Buck just looked at them, old Bryn  looked ready to. Pop at them, as they were doing the same feckin collies carnt stand  the animals. I just carried on walking my 3 dogs followed  me the lock down suiting me lol

You can't stand collies, but you got a 1st x collie/greyhound? Seems an odd choice bird lol ?

• Haha 1

Redace, as a couple of lads have said, call him back to you before the situations arise. Sometimes easier said than done, but if you're exercising him in an area where you know there are going to be other dogs, keep your eyes very much open. Plus, at 15 months he's probably going through the 'pushy teenager' stage. 

Nice dog ?

• Like 1

The whole Keep it on a leaf all the time thing....... does keeping it on a lead all the time not lead to a wound up dog? 

Dont see any problem with running with the dog off lead, just avoid civilians and their dogs.

I hate running into folk walking pets when I’m out with my two, my main concern is that the little shit eater will start something that my two will finish before I could get them off.

At the end of the day you’ve a 15 month, male, bull x, a bit of social boundary pushing and giving it the big I am, comes with the territory. 

Could easily just be the case of a big teenager having a moment and not knowing what he is capable of and how he comes across to others. He could also easily be bored, ready for some action and few up of running and playing, at the end of the day he’s bred for running and killing. He could also just have a streak in him that when older you will need to watch. I’ve one here. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Redace said:

Thanks for the feed back. 

When I run with the dog he isn't completely off the lead as if I see another on the lead, I generally whistle him and put him on the leash until I pass. I mainly run through a couple of parks get him on lead on pavements which isn't for long until I get out along a rural river path.

Often hes more of a nause to other dogs on the lead gets a bit mouthy but usually fine off it.

I took my garmin out other day just to calculate mileage but didnt start timer as only wanted mileage. I ran 10.5 in about 80 minutes with him. As I roughly noted time. I was quite happy with that and pleasantly surprised as I got a bit heavy recently.

Not sure if you are a runner but I'm aiming to do a 10k without dog in 36 minutes when this covid 9 clears. Best so far is 38.49 so a bit to do.

I'm still pissed off now about this morning I thought hes been brilliant recently and it kills two birds with one stone. Let myself down arguing about it too ?

If you can run 10k xc in 36 minutes you may not need a lurcher to catch game ?. Good thread anyway, hope you can see you are not unique but it needs some calm attention. Hang in there, my current dog was (apart from terriers ?) the worst behaved with other dogs that I've owned. Took about 4 months of focus on it to be confident it was resolved  

• Like 1

If I see someone going past with a dog on a lead, even tho I'm aware mine is very submissive, I will put mine on his lead, it's due to the uncertainty of the other Dog and courtesy imo, also if my dog is on its lead and another dog is coming in for a fight I DO NOT know the other dog and I WILL assume the worst for mine knowing he's submissive and will de-escalate the situation in a way the other owner will not appreciate. I think it's only right to look after the welfare of your dog, even if the other dog is just going to mouth it, it's not good for the confidence of the dog.

Atb

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Redace said:

I watched David goggins on youtube for motivation hes done many ultras was a good watch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Born-Run-Hidden-Ultra-Runners-Greatest/dp/1861978774/ref=asc_df_1861978774/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311073987241&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5174595735765665546&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9041106&hvtargid=pla-404289635230&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

is an interesting book and any of old Dean whats his face and that scott guy.  Some good ultra runner stuff on youtube. You need a lot of spare time for that lark. When you tell the wife your going for a long run and your gone half a day haha

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shaaark said:

You can't stand collies, but you got a 1st x collie/greyhound? Seems an odd choice bird lol ?

yes very true, and if you read say  most of my posts regards this   type x , ive always said for years and years, they ( dont) suite my personalty , i should have never had a 1x collie x grey , the 1/4 collie 3 /4 grey would have suited me better  than a 1x like ive got, ok he been good rabbit dog , carnt knock for that, but your not working them all the while, and there manic temp get me down, this consent staring at you , the dog carnt walk 2 yards with out keep looking back at you, had this mate, feckin near 13 years ,  never again, my big dog as bad, but i know he just followed   him the same way dogs copy each other, more so , old bryn top dog, so thats why as well. think this says it all really, drop of collie ok in a lurcher, but a drop 1/4 more than enough, but you cant look back as they say, go forward and learn from  it.!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

If you can run 10k xc in 36 minutes you may not need a lurcher to catch game ?. Good thread anyway, hope you can see you are not unique but it needs some calm attention. Hang in there, my current dog was (apart from terriers ?) the worst behaved with other dogs that I've owned. Took about 4 months of focus on it to be confident it was resolved  

I've just got back in the house, done 10km, in 24-25°C heat and 75% humidity on the skates, with my Dickhead. Took me 45ish mins and that was blasting it ?.... I'm fuucked and the dog is looking at me to go out again ?‍♂️

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, mushroom said:

I've just got back in the house, done 10km, in 24-25°C heat and 75% humidity on the skates, with my Dickhead. Took me 45ish mins and that was blasting it ?.... I'm fuucked and the dog is looking at me to go out again ?‍♂️

Try him towing the car should steady him up a bit

• Haha 2