Cold weather hunting dogs

By the way guys it was a serious question as I am new , but I can’t lie I had a good laugh at the Saluki and chihuahua replies?

I was thinking cold weather since most non retrievers have short coats (lurchers, greyhounds, etc) so I was wondering if there were actually any cold weather dogs that chase quarry like a lurcher or a whippet would?

Edited by HarrisHawk13
  • Like 2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My missus, north of the Arctic circle, doing her "Agnes Hailstone" impression ; Not sure what type of huskies they were, but -23 degrees didn't seem to bother them !

Out of these two when the freezing heavy rain came down the ped whippet would stick to the job over the Warren while the beddy x whippet would be curled up at the bottom of a wall

To be honest; I prefer a rough coated dog, but that's from a purely aesthetic point of view. I've owned both rough and smooth, and my view, ( and I stress it's only MY view ! ), is that a dogs coat ha

Posted Images

17 hours ago, HarrisHawk13 said:

Hi, what types of hunting dogs can live  in colder temperatures 

(by hunting dogs I mean dogs with high prey drives that chase quarry not retrievers)

Edited by eastcoast
spelling
2 hours ago, HarrisHawk13 said:

By the way guys it was a serious question as I am new , but I can’t lie I had a good laugh at the Saluki and chihuahua replies?

I was thinking cold weather since most non retrievers have short coats (lurchers, greyhounds, etc) so I was wondering if there were actually any cold weather dogs that chase quarry like a lurcher or a whippet would?

Good man dont take things to serious on here there's a few pretenders more than you think.mate but there harmless and do sound good and beleive there selfs ??

5 hours ago, HarrisHawk13 said:

Tazi, borzoi, staghound etc

In this country collie crosses and good old lurcher X lurchers imo

Some rough coats are horrible and open mind

To be honest; I prefer a rough coated dog, but that's from a purely aesthetic point of view. I've owned both rough and smooth, and my view, ( and I stress it's only MY view ! ), is that a dogs coat has no affect on it's working ability, BUT, a good , rough , double coat does offer some protection against the weather.

I'veseen rough coated dogs excel In desert conditions, and smooth coated dogs do well in cold conditions, there's allways exceptions to the rule, but in general, if you're worried about a dogs ability to stand harsher weather, get one with a harsher coat !

Collie, Deerhound, bedlington, all add coat to a lurcher, but there's also a lot of other variables to take into consideration, such as size, temperament, speed, endurance, etc.

Good luck with what you choose.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 5
17 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

To be honest; I prefer a rough coated dog, but that's from a purely. aesthetic point of view. I've owned both rough and smooth, and my view, ( and I stress it's only MY view ! ), is that a dogs coat has no affect on it's working ability, BUT, a good , rough , double coat does offer some protection against the weather.

I'be seen rough coated dogs excel In desert conditions, and smooth coated dogs do well in cold conditions, there's allways exceptions to the rule, but in general, if you're worried about a dogs ability to stand harsher weather, get one with a harsher coat !

Collie, Deerhound, bedlington, all add coat to a lurcher, but there's also a lot of other variables to take into consideration, such as size, temperament, speed, endurance, etc.

Good luck with what you choose.

Cheers.

Good post charts can be rough on the moors as you say a good rough thick coat can help when the weather turns bad 

I recon the type of coat is more important than length, good short double coat is  better than many longer rough but open coats if its standing about between runs in the cold. I've owned a couple that looked the part , nice rough jackets but when you parted the coat you got straight down to the skin whereas ones with short hair you could dig through as you might it took some doing to get down to the skin.

Having said that the worst open coated dog was one of the best workers I've owned and the tight coated one was one of the worst.

Ps  I'd say down in Devon it more about over heating than anything, there more likely panting than shivering.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, sandymere said:

I recon the type of coat is more important than length, good short double coat is  better than many longer rough but open coats if its standing about between runs in the cold. I've owned a couple that looked the part , nice rough jackets but when you parted the coat you got straight down to the skin whereas ones with short hair you could dig through as you might it took some doing to get down to the skin.

Having said that the worst open coated dog was one of the best workers I've owned and the tight coated one was one of the worst.

Ps  I'd say down in Devon it more about over heating than anything, there more likely panting than shivering.

Agree with that. Both mine have short hair. I do most my hunting in the southwest and  overheating is more of a concern than the cold. When I’m up in the Welsh hills they don’t seem to suffer. They seem to both have a decent double coat on them and are happy to work all day. 

• Like 1

There is a right variant on coats in most crosses one of the best I’ve seen was on collie xs tends to be short but has under layered coat one of the most deceiving coats I’ve seen was on a beddy whippet felt like a nice hard coat but took on water like a sponge leaving the dog like a drowned rat ive seen lots of beddy xs like this I think a lot of coats on various crosses are deceiving to what you think they should be like given on just because there rough don’t mean there automatically be a waterproof one 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Trev70 said:

Out of these two when the freezing heavy rain came down the ped whippet would stick to the job over the Warren while the beddy x whippet would be curled up at the bottom of a wall

B787816A-E4F9-4A83-AE95-1E60B65AB793.jpeg

9ABE1491-6623-40C1-8B60-418190B54FA4.jpeg

24616761-5E32-493C-A000-F636A988E4C8.jpeg

12737162-26D9-4F74-AAFA-4296BD3F2A04.jpeg

Had the same trev with beddy whippets once the rain come down there alright till they take on a bit of water leaving the whippets still ready for action......what am I saying whippet are shivering cowards remember according to the experts on here 

• Like 2

This coursing bred w@nker has slept in the snow, on top of mountains. I've got a photo somewhere of him, led facing down mountain (an incline of about 60-65°) in a heavy flurry, fast asleep ? Very rarely does he ever sleep sheltered, when we go off on our little trips. He will put himself under the hammock and tarp if it's raining mind.

That wee staffy of mine had a crap coat and would suffer but it never stopped her getting on with it, she'd just battle on.