Out on the kayaks for the first time this year!

Looks like fun

I have been addicted to kayak fishing a few years now.Im headed to Florida next weekend in the kayak.What size kayak is best for yalls water?Do y'all have paddle or peddle kayaks?Sorry for all the questions.Im still learning and there's not much room for error out there lol.

I was out on sat on the kayaks on the river Wharfe not fishing just peg and swim hunting checking depths and stuff found some good looking spots. Plus had a bit of fun on the wears. It's good to be out and about again.

On 17/05/2020 at 19:37, Rickshaw swami said:

Looks like fun

I have been addicted to kayak fishing a few years now.Im headed to Florida next weekend in the kayak.What size kayak is best for yalls water?Do y'all have paddle or peddle kayaks?Sorry for all the questions.Im still learning and there's not much room for error out there lol.

I'm probably not the right person to ask as I'm no expert. I use an ocean kayaks tetra angler, I think it 14'. It's a paddle one. I'm pretty much a summer fisherman as I'm busy in the hunting season. Mine is fine for me but i think if you wanted to go out far and in the winter you would want something bigger. 

The fishing locally isn't great, its been hammered by commercial boats for centuries. We catch eating fish but nothing of size, certainly not the kind of fishing you'll be getting in Florida!

• Like 1

Looks a nice day there Tula. I’ll be heading out in the next week or so. I had a lot of kayaking planned this summer with a bit of fishing thrown in. Supposed to be heading up to Skye for 2 weeks in July. Not so sure if it will go ahead at the moment though. See how things go ?

On 17/05/2020 at 19:37, Rickshaw swami said:

Looks like fun

I have always used a paddle. Seen a few guys with peddle kayaks but don’t know much about them. They seem to travel fast in the water and I suppose the plus point is your hands are always free so you can lure fish on the move and keep your rod in hand. 
General rule is the longer the kayak the more narrower it tends to be and this will be more unstable. It will get you further faster and help going against some tidal flows. Easy to go in a straight line but slower to turn. Shorter kayaks are the exact opposite. Slower in a straight line, a lot more stable and faster to turn. ?

• Like 1

Thanks y'all for the advice.I have spent alot of time hunting terriers from kayak and bowfishing from kayak.But saltwater is a different story.I have been out about a dozen times total.The furthest I have been is 3 miles from shore.This trip I will be shark fishing at night on the backside of an island in the gulf of Mexico.

Screenshot_20200522-072544.png.d00adcee69c98cc59c694454ee4fc7ee.png

Screenshot_20200522-073425.png.b59ffbf35312c2da35c3a1fde010c041.png

Native propel 13ft

I have been pleased with this kayak.You can quickly remove the peddle drive.You can stand up easily in calm water.

2 faults I've found is it takes an ocean to turn around because of ruddder 2 it's heavy.

The white belt on the seat is called a sissy belt for fighting fish.I don't carry all them rods out with me at once.I was just gathering my gear.

Any tips or advice would greatly be appreciated.Saltwater has a way of making you humble.Thanks 

• Like 4