Does walking the dog for a long time on the lead say along the roads/pavements build fitness? 

I am wanting to build fitness in my spaniel, however I don't want to hunt him endlessly as I know this can create a dog that just plods along when set off to hunt (my mates does it as it's used to being taken on 3-4 hours walks regularly). 

I want to maintain that hunting intensity but also need the dog to be fit enough to run flat out for a good period of time without being knackered. I imagine when the season comes real hunting will help put that peak performance in, but until then I need something to get him conditioned to be ready for that. 

On 21/05/2020 at 09:22, oddser said:

Yes walking dose improve fitness coursing greyhounds in Irland get up to 8 miles a day road work 

Just at walking speed? 

thanks for replying 

Just watch the heat this time of year not always easy if you live in the countryside n enjoy the fields but I like to swim my spaniels in summer but lurchers not at all interested in water.

19 hours ago, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

Can’t get dog fit by walking it free running galloping best way to get dog fit.

Not said just walking can get dog fit read my post it is part of the training as galloping is 

Road walking is good for maintenance purposes, keeps feet etc toned, but it needs to be a brisk walking pace, so the dog is trotting at your side, rather than ambling along like a camel, which moves both legs on each side at the same time. That is a very energy saving pace and many larger or unfit or older dogs try to do it to save their joints.

14 hours ago, skycat said:

Road walking is good for maintenance purposes, keeps feet etc toned, but it needs to be a brisk walking pace, so the dog is trotting at your side, rather than ambling along like a camel, which moves both legs on each side at the same time. That is a very energy saving pace and many larger or unfit or older dogs try to do it to save their joints.

They need to be running alongside a bike or similar then really? 

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

They need to be running alongside a bike or similar then really? 

I'm 5'6" and if I walk fast my 24" lurchers have to trot to keep up, but if I walk slowly, they amble. So, it depends on how tall you are and how fast you walk as to whether or not the dog has to trot. I would say that a spaniel would have to trot if you are average height and walk fast. I'm guessing your'e just wanting to keep the dog ticking over in this warm weather: but warning: if the dog is overweight or very unfit, even half an hour's brisk trot will cause it to overheat in this weather, so I'd walk it very early morning or if not, then go somewhere where the dog can get in the water to cool down.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, C.green said:

I dont think youll beat swimming for a spaniel this time of year. Or taken to a spot with plenty of rabbits but can emd in tears in the heat if your not careful.

It’s finding the spot with plenty of rabbits that’s the hard part. 

39 minutes ago, skycat said:

I'm 5'6" and if I walk fast my 24" lurchers have to trot to keep up, but if I walk slowly, they amble. So, it depends on how tall you are and how fast you walk as to whether or not the dog has to trot. I would say that a spaniel would have to trot if you are average height and walk fast. I'm guessing your'e just wanting to keep the dog ticking over in this warm weather: but warning: if the dog is overweight or very unfit, even half an hour's brisk trot will cause it to overheat in this weather, so I'd walk it very early morning or if not, then go somewhere where the dog can get in the water to cool down.

He’s not overweight or really unfit but I don’t walk or run him on ground with nothing for hours on end, as I want him to run in trials ideally and he has to come out running. 

If you run them too long or on ground with no game they can start to pace themselves and just plod about. 

My mates done it with his two cockers, he takes them on big walks and walking holidays they might be out for 3-4 hours at times, when he brings his dog out to hunt now it just walks from cover to cover don’t run at all, so I am trying to avoid that. 

In the season I imagine hunting on game for periods will add fitness but I would like to condition the dog before that to try and give him the best chances.