Back up at the shoot

3 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

No reds but some fallow are moving in to. Found this feller bedded down last weekend.

IMG_20200919_174531_613.jpg.01323d49fa2425c341d77cac643c0b38.jpg

Say Stav, don't start me off on bad keepers! If ever you need a good excuse find a bad keeper, they know every excuse known to man!

Most keepers I’ve had dealings have been spot on, but this fella is a complete plank, we’ve caught him dogging birds in off our land, walking one of our drives through, bombing around our shoot on his quad and god knows what else when no one is looking, it almost came to blows last year over the way he spoke to the old girl at the farm, with a bit of luck his boss will of sorted him out, I haven’t seen him over the summer so as long as he keeps it that way he’ll get to keep his pretty smile 

• Like 3

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Most keepers I’ve had dealings have been spot on, but this fella is a complete plank, we’ve caught him dogging birds in off our land, walking one of our drives through, bombing around our shoot on his quad and god knows what else when no one is looking, it almost came to blows last year over the way he spoke to the old girl at the farm, with a bit of luck his boss will of sorted him out, I haven’t seen him over the summer so as long as he keeps it that way he’ll get to keep his pretty smile 

The ginger prick wants a fooking good slap mate thought it was coming to blows last season when he thought he was big with his 5 mares backing him up?????

21 minutes ago, Longshanx said:

The ginger prick wants a fooking good slap mate thought it was coming to blows last season when he thought he was big with his 5 mares backing him up?????

They are all big and shoutie but he soon hopped back over the fence and carried on walking ?

by the way I’ve had your estranged joiner round, he said he can do the job in about half an hour then spent an hour talking and said he’d come back and do it next week, if he stopped talking he could of done it then, I had to have a lay down after he left ?

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1
15 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Stav. Did you have any frost up there yesterday. I found a little patch yesterday down here.

No, not yet but it’s due, it was freezing in the wind, I think if it hadn’t been so windy there would of been a proper frost, I’m just about to go up and feed, you can normally tell how cold it’s been by how many birds are still around the roost waiting for food

• Like 2

I’ve noticed that the birds seem a bit more interested in the feed rides over the last week or so . The drop in temperature has focused them a bit more . They just seem to be everywhere at the moment, so much natural food about . And the stubbles are a big pull too . 
            There is nothing worse than a bad neighbour/keeper. You have to respect each other’s boundaries, otherwise it’s a recipe for a punch up . I’ve had “ cheap skate “ f@ckers , trying to pull my birds , don’t put any birds down themselves, they are millionaires, and want to pull our birds and have half arse walk about days with their mates , at our expense. No f@ckin way !!! I got an axe and went over and smashed their feeders and told him next time I’d bury it in his swede . He got on the phone to my boss to try and get me sacked. My boss sorted me out a raise , at the next syndicate  AGM . ???

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Winter ? is definitely on the way, when I got there just before 9 you could see it had been cold over night and I had to get the winter coat out,  there’s a lot of birds around the farm but at the minute they are not straying to far during the day, I’ve moved some feeders further out and also put a couple out that I know the deer can knock the tops off ( before Hugo’s dad arrived) to get at the wheat, as me and FH might be having a trip up there next weekend for the fallow ? ( but I’ll keep that to myself) after feeding we walked the boundaries, not seeing a lot of birds which was good, little Hugo’s makes me laugh, I lost count of how many times he fell into the mud today and he never shuts up, he’s at the age now where he wants to know what everything we see is, so we have a little notebook so he can write down what we have seen, I hope he doesn’t show it to his teacher and she asks him who was responsible for the spelling ?

ECC75B3E-F6AA-41C1-9976-D6514026DB70.jpeg

0F5C94FB-4652-415D-B59A-53BF16426B58.jpeg

• Like 7

I love the coast when it’s like that, sat in the motor on the front at saltburn just watching the sea, happy times ?

it’s was lovely up at the shoot when the sun came out and there’s still a bit of heat in it but as soon as it went in it turned into a different day 

2F9CF8C3-B6AC-4B11-877A-6DCB995626E7.jpeg

15DD8597-BA55-456D-B210-AC1DB798206F.jpeg

• Like 2

I couldn’t agree more about a winter coast . I love walking on the beach or seafront when it’s like that , makes you feel alive . 
        I used to be in the local wildfowling club , with stretches of the crown foreshore on the Severn estuary . It could get a bit dodgy when the tide was on its way in , it sounds like a train coming towards you . I can honestly say I had the most exciting and dangerous duck flights imaginable in stormy weather with the tide chasing me . I think back on it and I was mad . But you sometimes you only feel alive when you dice with death , and your adrenaline is pumping. ??

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
On 26/09/2020 at 19:15, Stavross said:

They are all big and shoutie but he soon hopped back over the fence and carried on walking ?

by the way I’ve had your estranged joiner round, he said he can do the job in about half an hour then spent an hour talking and said he’d come back and do it next week, if he stopped talking he could of done it then, I had to have a lay down after he left ?

Yeah he can talk alright, he could fit 5 jobs in if he didn't talk as much???

Good joiner though so I'll let him off??

16 hours ago, Stavross said:

little Hugo’s makes me laugh, I lost count of how many times he fell into the mud today 

He has me in bits, guaranteed at least 4 times in a day he will walk through mud and loose a wellie and then a soak his socks as he puts his foot down?

• Haha 1

I was out topping up hoppers just now . Next to one of my covers was a couple with two dogs off the lead , having a picnic.  On inspection of the small wood , which is normally full of pheasants, I noticed it was empty. ? My blood pressure was rising and I approached the couple and in as polite a manner as I could muster I informed them that they were a long way from the footpath, and it wasn’t a picnic area . They said ,” yeah , yeah , whatever, we will finish our food and then we will go “, I asked them to go now please , no response. Ok then I thought , see how you like this , I went around the corner where there were about 40 hungry young bullocks, a quick shake of the a feed bag got their attention, a couple started to trot towards me followed by a few more , then they all started to run  , following the Kawasaki mule at full tilt , straight towards the open mouthed picnickers. Never seen anyone move so quick .??? Aah , it’s the little victory’s ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 8