Jump to content

Back up at the shoot


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Back up on the moor after a few rabbits and my god I needed the walk out after this week, I’m really enjoying the .22 at the minute and pushing it further than I would normally, it was a modest count

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Out again yesterday evening on my mates ground to try for his 1st buck on his new lease. On arrival at the ground I glassed the 1st field of wheat and spotted a nice clean 6 pointer out feeding. I hatched a plan to stalk down inside the shelter belt and get within range . Once we were a couple of hundred yards away I spied through the fence to discover that there was now 4 roe in the field. We squeezed through the strands of the fence and crawled forward a bit until we were ready for the shot. Once the buck turned broadside my mate dropped him on the spot at 205 paces with a low neck shot 😀

After gralloching him we decided to try at the back of the big wood for another. There are 2 rape fields here which are quite high now but I spotted 2 roe moving after about 15 minutes which turned out to be does. Continued watching and another 2 appeared in the bottom left corner of the field ...a buck and doe.

So another plan hatched which took us to around 150 yards .......again waited until he turned broadside and that was No 2 grassed. As we walked over to find him in the rape another 2 roe bounced off through the rape ......a buck and doe .

Quickly I said to my mate there's another buck if you want him ...... didn't need asking twice and No 3 was added.

What a fantastic evenings stalking in great company , good weather and plenty deer seen .....24 in total.

As we left the ground I glassed another 9 roe out in a wheat field which included another decent buck so I think we will try for him next 😀

DSC00220.JPG

DSC00224.JPG

  • Like 6
Link to post
33 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Out again yesterday evening on my mates ground to try for his 1st buck on his new lease. On arrival at the ground I glassed the 1st field of wheat and spotted a nice clean 6 pointer out feeding. I hatched a plan to stalk down inside the shelter belt and get within range . Once we were a couple of hundred yards away I spied through the fence to discover that there was now 4 roe in the field. We squeezed through the strands of the fence and crawled forward a bit until we were ready for the shot. Once the buck turned broadside my mate dropped him on the spot at 205 paces with a low neck shot 😀

After gralloching him we decided to try at the back of the big wood for another. There are 2 rape fields here which are quite high now but I spotted 2 roe moving after about 15 minutes which turned out to be does. Continued watching and another 2 appeared in the bottom left corner of the field ...a buck and doe.

So another plan hatched which took us to around 150 yards .......again waited until he turned broadside and that was No 2 grassed. As we walked over to find him in the rape another 2 roe bounced off through the rape ......a buck and doe .

Quickly I said to my mate there's another buck if you want him ...... didn't need asking twice and No 3 was added.

What a fantastic evenings stalking in great company , good weather and plenty deer seen .....24 in total.

As we left the ground I glassed another 9 roe out in a wheat field which included another decent buck so I think we will try for him next 😀

DSC00220.JPG

DSC00224.JPG

Brilliant Mark, great write up and a good outing for sure👍

Link to post
3 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Very addictive, I can't help myself now. On a mission to clean up the countryside 👍

What were you shooting today ?

I just went to check the camera. I had my Franchi auto with me.

No pictures of slinky but I'm getting closer all the time. I've watched it run a similar line three times now at a similar time but it goes cold when me and the dog poke around to much. I'm going to leave it for now until weekend  but need to be at a place well before light and wait!

PICT0002.JPG.c382358808f1398cfcf6691299fa912c.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to post
1 minute ago, Sausagedog said:

I just went to check the camera. I had my Franchi auto with me.

No pictures of slinky but I'm getting closer all the time. I've watched it run a similar line three times now at a similar time but it goes cold when me and the dog poke around to much. I'm going to leave it for now until weekend  but need to be at a place well before light and wait!

PICT0002.JPG.c382358808f1398cfcf6691299fa912c.JPG

I'm sure you will catch up with her soon.

Link to post
Just now, FOXHUNTER said:

I'm sure you will catch up with her soon.

It's a little weird, slinky knows IR and looks at the camera then keeps away. She may be a little dog. Or barron. Apart from that a tiny fox has been coming that does not look at the camera!

I watched slinky run across a frosty field Sunday morning through binoculars and I thought dog fox, smallish one.

I've been putting carrion on the mound the other side of the ditch.

Link to post
Just now, Sausagedog said:

It's a little weird, slinky knows IR and looks at the camera then keeps away. She may be a little dog. Or barron. Apart from that a tiny fox has been coming that does not look at the camera!

I watched slinky run across a frosty field Sunday morning through binoculars and I thought dog fox, smallish one.

I've been putting carrion on the mound the other side of the ditch.

Yep you do get foxes that are IR shy , seen it a few times. Good luck 👍

  • Like 2
Link to post
12 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

It's a little weird, slinky knows IR and looks at the camera then keeps away. She may be a little dog. Or barron. Apart from that a tiny fox has been coming that does not look at the camera!

I watched slinky run across a frosty field Sunday morning through binoculars and I thought dog fox, smallish one.

I've been putting carrion on the mound the other side of the ditch.

I know your a smart man when it comes to foxing sd… but is there anywhere you can bait it near a building with say a trip light or passing traffic?!

I had one that could pick ir up at 200yard, had to set up in a bush on the bend of a Rd.. I had rifle on the sticks with my hand over the ir and as soon as a car lit the field up i took the shot… I’ve had them in open fields on full moon nights too any light pollution will work in your favour 

  • Like 4
Link to post
1 hour ago, si brown said:

I know your a smart man when it comes to foxing sd… but is there anywhere you can bait it near a building with say a trip light or passing traffic?!

I had one that could pick ir up at 200yard, had to set up in a bush on the bend of a Rd.. I had rifle on the sticks with my hand over the ir and as soon as a car lit the field up i took the shot… I’ve had them in open fields on full moon nights too any light pollution will work in your favour 

Thanks Si. The thing is slinky is very sly in that it won't give me a pattern where I can intercept. Also the farm doesn't  have lights on. There is one property with IR sensor lights but I've not seen the fox near there.

 

As the morning get lighter I might just be revealing a slight pattern. All winter I've managed to get some photos in a particular place at a time and place I'm seeing it at first light now. I don't mind getting up early anyway. I love how different the country, wildlife and light is at first thing.

While on the subject, what is the type of IR the clever ones don't see? I might need an extra IR lamp!

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

While on the subject, what is the type of IR the clever ones don't see? I might need an extra IR lamp!

940 covert ir mate. Depends what torch youre using mate but might be able to buy aftermarket 940nm pill to go in your existing illuminator.  you'll get less range though. 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 4
Link to post
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Thanks Si. The thing is slinky is very sly in that it won't give me a pattern where I can intercept. Also the farm doesn't  have lights on. There is one property with IR sensor lights but I've not seen the fox near there.

 

As the morning get lighter I might just be revealing a slight pattern. All winter I've managed to get some photos in a particular place at a time and place I'm seeing it at first light now. I don't mind getting up early anyway. I love how different the country, wildlife and light is at first thing.

While on the subject, what is the type of IR the clever ones don't see? I might need an extra IR lamp!

Bens hit it with that above👍
like he said take the pill out and try and match it, save buying another

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...