Back up at the shoot

1 hour ago, David.evans said:

And there’s me stav thinking what a upright honest and good standing man you are 

good on ya ??

I’d maybe help him out if he’d let me shoot in the forestry but you can’t expect me to give you the information for free ?

55 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Intercepted my lamp shy vixen and a dog barking it's head off earlier. The vixen was cut off from its escape  rout but worked it out, it was comical how she ended up in front of my car as I looked back at it.

The dog fox continued barking until she gave a little scream and he shut up never to be heard again!

I love these little interactions.

Only two I heard all night on my place. 

You guys hearing any?

I’ve heard a couple around me, but I think the locals would have something to say if I start calling on the cycle path 

• Like 2

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Just a little walk around longshanx’s place tonight for some long range rabbits with the .17’s, not loads about but enough to have a go at and at some good distances, a lovely crisp, cold night, even though the moon was a bit of a pain

4ACC239F-C3BE-43AC-ACCB-20AF18A34D49.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yea I was out last night , I heard a dog barking at some distance and tried to follow the sound but with the wind the way it was I gave up 

don’t know about your land sausage but mine is mainly arable and the going under foot was very hard , and sticking like super glue 

I really should have gone to the dairy farm ( all grass ) that would have been easier 

i never seen any fox all night 12 deer , 20 odd hairs tho , but not what I was out for 

Atb 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Nope cos unless I'm snoring I'm working like an a mad man, always the same this time of year- bah humbug!!  ? ???

Ben 

forgive me I thought these few weeks were quite quiet ? for you guys this time of year 

but then I an see your little turkey ? 

45 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Ben 

forgive me I thought these few weeks were quite quiet ? for you guys this time of year 

but then I an see your little turkey ? 

Yeah dave, my gaffer sells turkeys & Xmas trees.  And delivery hay to horsey types all over. And we start lambing next month so bringing them inside soon ??

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David.evans said:

Yea I was out last night , I heard a dog barking at some distance and tried to follow the sound but with the wind the way it was I gave up 

don’t know about your land sausage but mine is mainly arable and the going under foot was very hard , and sticking like super glue 

I really should have gone to the dairy farm ( all grass ) that would have been easier 

i never seen any fox all night 12 deer , 20 odd hairs tho , but not what I was out for 

Atb 

Mixed ground. Some is sticky and yeah, a pain.

On a side note, I asked my Mrs for a little zip up purse for my hmr ammo.

Look what the sick woman gave me!

16392119298957712992349226149453.jpg.8b92f9151894bb8ebb7e02c7c328eaae.jpg

• Haha 9
42 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Yeah dave, my gaffer sells turkeys & Xmas trees.  And delivery hay to horsey types all over. And we start lambing next month so bringing them inside soon ??

went out last night as soon as it got dark for a quick look  while kids were out, the majority of sheep are indoors now!

need to get some bales set up next to the barn so i can cover a bigger area safely.. as soon as I opened the first gate a small fox winded me and took off  ?

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
26 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Pretty sure I've had 18 fox's this year so far. What is the tally with you fellers?

I have 1 site which is a Free Range Chicken/Geese/Duck farm, over the last 19 years I have been shooting there I have averaged 14 fox a year from this one site, coincidentally with you, I have just take the 18th this year on that site alone!

To be honest I don't know my absolute total as I don't keep tally of the domestic jobs, but I think I'm on about 65 so far for the year!  I've hit 100 a few years but generally between about 35-80 a year! 

:thumbs:

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Pretty sure I've had 18 fox's this year so far. What is the tally with you fellers?

I’m on maybe 30ish, to be fair I haven’t done the area’s I normally do with the shoot taking up most of my time and a chunk of them were when I went down to Lincolnshire 

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Mixed ground. Some is sticky and yeah, a pain.

On a side note, I asked my Mrs for a little zip up purse for my hmr ammo.

Look what the sick woman gave me!

16392119298957712992349226149453.jpg.8b92f9151894bb8ebb7e02c7c328eaae.jpg

you should of asked for one to match your pj’s ?

• Haha 1

m on maybe 30ish, to be fair I haven’t done the area’s I normally do with the shoot taking up most of my time and a chunk of them were when I went down to Lincolnshire 

I’ve just had a count up and it’s 21, not 30ish, that’s not very good, I’ll have to go out tonight and see if I can add to it ?

• Like 1

I had number 31 last night. I tried a farm that I haven't shot a fox on all year , just nothing about. Last night was very still and frosty so I thought I would try some mating calls. On arrival I set up and started playing vixen mating call followed by hare and chicken with no joy. After 22 mins of calling I switched to dog fox mating call and had a vixen immediately show up and obligingly stop at around eighty yards . It was very frosty last night , my mod ended up with a covering of frost on it , driving home the temp hit -1c ....felt good to be alive.

DSC00163.JPG

• Like 5