Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I was shocked at £200 per tonne, it wasn’t too long ago we were paying £100 and we moaned about that ….. if only ! 

B6BF991B-B170-4F30-BF20-F50D1901FE47.jpeg

It was only a few years ago that it was £100 and when it went to £120 everyone said it won’t go any higher, we had to ask the members to each give another £20 to cover the costs, after that we put the fees up from £350 a year to £400 and we sold a few days to top it up, this year the fees have gone up to £500 per gun, I still don’t think that’s bad value for 8 days shooting but the syndicate was always meant to be affordable game shooting for the common man, but it is getting more and more expensive and with syndicates like ours there’s no wages all the money goes back into the shoot ( with a little bit of fuel money for me )

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Ever tried them on barley.

See them eating it in the field....

I’ve never tried them on barley because the don’t do much of it on the farm, there is a shoot not far from me that uses a mix of wheat and barley, but barely is around 200 a tonne at the minute 

4 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

The wankers on the shot next to ours are still on turkey pellets,I believe that tackles 400 a ton

the grower pellet we start them off on is £350 a tonne, but we do half medicated, you have to be careful what the pellet has in it if you are going to eat the birds that are shot

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ve never tried them on barley because the don’t do much of it on the farm, there is a shoot not far from me that uses a mix of wheat and barley, but barely is around 200 a tonne at the minute 

the grower pellet we start them off on is £350 a tonne, but we do half medicated, you have to be careful what the pellet has in it if you are going to eat the birds that are shot

Yes that’s true about medicated pellet. Also it goes soggy in the feeders.madness

4 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Hope your 1st day tomorrow goes well and the birds fly OK Stav ?Try not to shoot too many of next doors birds will you ????? I'm off to Bedfordshire for the weekend ??

Cheers mate, I’ll be off up there early afternoon to set things up and work out where we are shooting, I’ll be feeding the tracks off the driveway so the guns see a few on the way in

i hope you manage to shoot the barrel out of your rifle ? we’ll have to have a trip out over the next couple of weeks 

19 minutes ago, Stavross said:

i hope you manage to shoot the barrel out of your rifle ? we’ll have to have a trip out over the next couple of weeks 

Hopefully will get a few shots , quietly confident.  I am off for a week the week after next so hopefully get a look out then. ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Hopefully will get a few shots , quietly confident.  I am off for a week the week after next so hopefully get a look out then. ?

Yeah, I’m starting to get a few week days free now the shooting has started, so we’ll sort something out ?

• Like 1