Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Out this afternoon again helping my mate with his doe cull , I spot and he shoots. We stalked up the side of the wood to the corner where there is some high white grass. All of a sudden 4 roe appeared , 2 bucks 2 does at only 40 yds and started in our direction , I thought game was over but my mate managed to get on the sticks and dropped a doe on the spot. Next a skein of around 50 geese landed on the farmers winter wheat , the farmer hates them and with it being the last day of the season we put a sneak on them and he shot one at 170 yds . ? Next we headed for the main wood where the deer always emerge on dusk , on arrival there was a doe on the edge of the wood , so after a crawl of 50 yds or so the shot was on and doe number 2 was in the bag ?? Another great afternoon ??

20210131_155247.jpg

20210131_163133.jpg

20210131_175613.jpg

• Like 4

Seeing as its the last day of the season I decided to go for a mooch with my little dog Bert. It was a lovely fine day and just great to be out. 1st cock lifted behind me out of some rushes , I had to swing round but folded him. Then a cracking cock lifted, a 50 yard crosser , swung right through and folded it lovely ? on picking it up a hen lifted and was off like a rocket , again I was on it and another clean kill. Next a hare lifted a good 40 yards out and once again folded him 1st barrel ? I felt like today I couldn't miss. Another cock lifted from the gorse and again bagged. Then the little dog flushed 5 cocks together and I took a right and left. Then the final cock was lifted by Bert , a nice driven bird from my right and once again nicely folded. What a brilliant end to the season , nice weather, a few birds but best of all never missed a shot ?

20210201_130550.jpg

• Like 8
46 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Good shooting Mark, just out of interest, what’s the choking on your ugartechea? Mine’s half and full, I’m thinking I might have the full choke barrel bored out to quarter........... Or do I just need more practice? ???

Mines half and full too. I love the gun handles real well . I would just leave the chokes as I find it great , whether quarry is 10 yards or 50 . Too many people I think get hung up on choke but I find you are either on your quarry or not.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Mines half and full too. I love the gun handles real well . I would just leave the chokes as I find it great , whether quarry is 10 yards or 50 . Too many people I think get hung up on choke but I find you are either on your quarry or not.

My russian Tula is extra full and full but I can shoot that very well.

There are many more factors more important than chokes in my opinion to shooting shotguns.

Excellent  shooting by the way....I was at work....?

3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Seeing as its the last day of the season I decided to go for a mooch with my little dog Bert. It was a lovely fine day and just great to be out. 1st cock lifted behind me out of some rushes , I had to swing round but folded him. Then a cracking cock lifted, a 50 yard crosser , swung right through and folded it lovely ? on picking it up a hen lifted and was off like a rocket , again I was on it and another clean kill. Next a hare lifted a good 40 yards out and once again folded him 1st barrel ? I felt like today I couldn't miss. Another cock lifted from the gorse and again bagged. Then the little dog flushed 5 cocks together and I took a right and left. Then the final cock was lifted by Bert , a nice driven bird from my right and once again nicely folded. What a brilliant end to the season , nice weather, a few birds but best of all never missed a shot ?

20210201_130550.jpg

Spot on that mate, perfect way to end the season. Very envious! Though my day mainly consisted of this, so could be worse! 

20210201_134021.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

20210201_130550.jpg

That’s a quality day out and a perfect way to end the game season ?

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Training my next chicken unit Charlie.

PTDC0394.JPG.6e31be0fd710cb289d39324853e8e94a.JPG

The chicken supper is tied to a weight.

It would be 2am wouldnt it ?‍♂️

A farmer rang me today to tell me a fox has taken 4 hens , I said I will get through shortly. 1/2 hour later he rang back to say he had shot a dog fox. He went for a look down the wood and found a kicked out earth and saw a fox run off so decided to wait to see if it returned,  anyway another fox approached the earth from the opposite direction which he shot. He told me " I don't feck about lol " Told me I can sort the vixen out ?

• Like 2