Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Last night’s outing was to the sheep farm, meeting my mate there for our daily physical activity we headed to the bottom of the field where there’s a small beck that the foxes follow. Putting the caller about 100 yards from us due to the way the wind was blowing, we set it away with vixen on heat. Now my mate was on the thermal/caller and I was the rifle, it had been 35/45 minutes and he hadn’t seen anything, so he lights himself a fag and rests against the tree, he took a look through the thermal just straight out in front, “ sh*t, sh*t “ he said under his breath  “ it’s at the fu*king caller “ Scope on and I get a glimpse of it as it reached the caller and thought I don’t like this and went up the field, sky lining, so no shot, it was a big bugger. I explained to him the perils of smoking as we walked to the next spot we were to have a call, nothing else showed, so I baited with some cat food and even though it was still early I called it a night here. On my way home I passed my mates farm and thought I give it half an hour, so pulled up in the yard and headed towards a small wood next to the river Tees as soon as I got there I looked through the NV and instantly got eye shine back from the river bank, to get a shot I needed to get on the field bank side and with it been -5, Crystal clear and bright I was sure I’d be seen or heard but no, it was much more interested in whatever it was doing, the shot was no more than 90 yards and a good thud said job done, I headed down to collect it, when I got there, looking at where it was on the river bank, the hight of the river and the fact I was on my own, I left it where it was. I always seem to do better on my own, even if it’s sometimes nice to have a bit of company when I’m out

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, Stavross said:

Last night’s outing was to the sheep farm, meeting my mate there for our daily physical activity we headed to the bottom of the field where there’s a small beck that the foxes follow. Putting the caller about 100 yards from us due to the way the wind was blowing, we set it away with vixen on heat. Now my mate was on the thermal/caller and I was the rifle, it had been 35/45 minutes and he hadn’t seen anything, so he lights himself a fag and rests against the tree, he took a look through the thermal just straight out in front, “ sh*t, sh*t “ he said under his breath  “ it’s at the fu*king caller “ Scope on and I get a glimpse of it as it reached the caller and thought I don’t like this and went up the field, sky lining, so no shot, it was a big bugger. I explained to him the perils of smoking as we walked to the next spot we were to have a call, nothing else showed, so I baited with some cat food and even though it was still early I called it a night here. On my way home I passed my mates farm and thought I give it half an hour, so pulled up in the yard and headed towards a small wood next to the river Tees as soon as I got there I looked through the NV and instantly got eye shine back from the river bank, to get a shot I needed to get on the field bank side and with it been -5, Crystal clear and bright I was sure I’d be seen or heard but no, it was much more interested in whatever it was doing, the shot was no more than 90 yards and a good thud said job done, I headed down to collect it, when I got there, looking at where it was on the river bank, the hight of the river and the fact I was on my own, I left it where it was. I always seem to do better on my own, even if it’s sometimes nice to have a bit of company when I’m out

I find going alone always produces best results but as you say nice to have company sometimes. I would be really pissed off though if you should get a fox but your mate fecks it up , I would have the right hump ?

• Like 1
On 23/01/2021 at 18:07, ianm said:

Two of us and my grandson had a walk round this afternoon. We finished with four hen pheasants, one cock (not in the pic) a partridge and eight mallard. Grandson did well he shot four mallard. 

DSC00138_LI.jpg

I hope No.51 was expecting you!! 

11 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I find going alone always produces best results but as you say nice to have company sometimes. I would be really pissed off though if you should get a fox but your mate fecks it up , I would have the right hump ?

It’s not the first time and I’m sure it won’t be the last, I’ll do the bait and wait on my own for this one 

• Like 1

Well first time out after recovering from Covid and what a fantastic day. I arranged to meet my mate to do some deer management and predator control on his shoot. Arrived at 2pm to a lovely bright frosty day and was very confident of grassing a roe. I was glassing as usual and my mate shooting. Spotted a roe next to a feeder around 150 yds away , so mate up on quads , waited for deer to turn broadside and it dropped on the spot.20210124_160209.jpg.4154c29dbb5eca8b8750ba0449b3c10f.jpg

• Like 4