Back up at the shoot

29 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Think so. I'm skint just now and my licence is in for renewal but I have a few weeks left on them yet. Officer is visiting next week.

It was easier picking the empties up compared to an auto!

Treat yourself, you deserve it ( I’m not sure if that’s true but get it anyway) ?

• Haha 3

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Never owned a Pump!

Actually, I think I've only ever shot one once, many years ago, its a distant memory.

Cleanings a bit easier I guess (than semi) and they seem quite popular is the US, but not vast quantities in the UK.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Tried another gun this afternoon. A Winchester sxp.

I never realized the new ones are made in Turkey!

Sporting a 26" tube and a teague 1/4 choke it comes up well. So well that I got 16 birds for 23 cartridges.

IMG_20220815_192352.jpg.9aaef7d28bfdeb053eb5931d0a626580.jpg

Well done on sorting some more corvids?

I was thinking of getting a cheap semi auto for the geese and crows but never shot one or know much about them...just like the idea of that 3rd shot.

Any ideas ?

40 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Well done on sorting some more corvids?

I was thinking of getting a cheap semi auto for the geese and crows but never shot one or know much about them...just like the idea of that 3rd shot.

Any ideas ?

In all honesty you won't go wrong with a cheap hatistani or an older Berretta 300 series. The Browning b80 is the Berretta action but not 3".

One of my favourite autos is the franchi al48. Very reliable and very cheap. The later gas operated franchi models are good too.

Depends if you want gas or inertia. Pros & cons to both. Gas less felt recoil but needs regular cleaning. I've had two gas ones, my gaffer & his son both have inertia driven. Personally if getting another I'd go gas again. Armsan are lot of gun for the money.

48 minutes ago, Deker said:

Never owned a Pump!

Actually, I think I've only ever shot one once, many years ago, its a distant memory.

Cleanings a bit easier I guess (than semi) and they seem quite popular is the US, but not vast quantities in the UK.

Had a few over the years.

Mossberg, Remington and a Winchester 1300. They all do the job and are very underestimated imo.

4 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Depends if you want gas or inertia. Pros & cons to both. Gas less felt recoil but needs regular cleaning. I've had two gas ones, my gaffer & his son both have inertia driven. Personally if getting another I'd go gas again. Armsan are lot of gun for the money.

One of the reasons I like the long recoilers Ben is that you don't get the gasses and fouling entering the action like you do on a gasser. It's splitting hairs really but with a long recoiler just keep the friction ring lubricated if needed, some don't need it, and it'll just run and run for months.

In saying that....some gassers are better than others.