Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

I was out at the shoot for just before 5 this morning, warm, still and peaceful lovely 

had a good walk around, nothing with any head gear which is no surprise up there, if it had of been 2 in the morning I’ve no doubt they would be about ? there was a few doe’s knocking about of both flavours and I’ve had to refill the water butts because it’s so dry up there, they are getting through 50lts of water in 48 hours, I had a walk over to the boundary with next door where I could see a fox curled up on the side of their wood through the thermal, only problem was I was facing east and the sun was right in the scope so I couldn’t see it and couldn’t risk hopping the fence to get a shot, still a lovely time of day to be out

i’m going to give my mates farm a go later as they have just cut the wheat a long the plantation so we’ll see if that produces anything ?

D50AA2EA-45FA-4B14-80E1-D0F8DD03899C.jpeg

FF553F83-965B-440D-8A9B-9E32731439AE.jpeg

5DD9BD57-A53C-489E-855B-6FC39036BB28.jpeg

ECB24729-5FFA-4554-9A5C-9212799CE63D.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 6

So me and longshanx had a trip up to the farm and headed for the plantation field, giving it an hour or so before dark hopeful of a buck coming out of the wood for the long one, nothing showed before we lost the light so we switched to the caller and the.223 giving it 40 minutes or so before the full moon came above the trees and turned the field to daylight we had only seen hares and a lot of them so we’ll be back for a few of them, we then moved back towards the farm and the cover of a hedge back, first trying pheasant distress for 10 minutes and then switching to a hare death cry, within minutes we had a fox in the corner of the field, shot not far away at all, no more than 50 yards, a new vixen, now with a hole in it ?

F90458F1-FB92-468B-BB17-5B3D97E19C23.jpeg

9E5EBFAE-2F58-4800-B628-3155D45246E1.jpeg

D604A4D4-0399-49BA-BCDF-C04E3DC30DB7.png

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 10

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had little Hugo with me so after he cleared grass and sticks from around the fence wire he had a bit of target practice with the little rat catcher, he’s getting to be a good shot ?

72C00C2B-DD68-4211-9359-5A46B3036211.jpeg

115F006B-22FE-4F92-A9BD-20B5A45FC4A8.jpeg

A172F4CA-22ED-47B4-8FC5-702BF997E510.jpeg

• Like 13
1 hour ago, Robbusher said:

Can’t wood pigeon  mate with feral pigeons/ racers maybe 

They can definitely cross breed, I knew someone years ago that had racers and he crossed a rock dove with a woodie apparently they were no good for owt, they reckon that they never cross breed in the wild

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Stavross said:

They can definitely cross breed, I knew someone years ago that had racers and he crossed a rock dove with a woodie apparently they were no good for owt, they reckon that they never cross breed in the wild

Yep ...why would a woodie have to crossbreed I mean there is no shortage of mates.

7 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Yep ...why would a woodie have to crossbreed I mean there is no shortage of mates.

I don’t think it’s down to the woodies, most mate for life ( unless you shoot one of them ?) it’s them feral pavement chip eaters you got to keep your eye on, strutting around looking rapey ?

I watched a documentary about pigeons and they really are just rats with wings, all feral and racers are descendants of the rock dove and like the rat they have taken full advantage of their environment 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Tried another gun this afternoon. A Winchester sxp.

I never realized the new ones are made in Turkey!

Sporting a 26" tube and a teague 1/4 choke it comes up well. So well that I got 16 birds for 23 cartridges.

IMG_20220815_192352.jpg.9aaef7d28bfdeb053eb5931d0a626580.jpg

Are you adding it to the collection?

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Are you adding it to the collection?

Think so. I'm skint just now and my licence is in for renewal but I have a few weeks left on them yet. Officer is visiting next week.

It was easier picking the empties up compared to an auto!