Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Ours don’t normally come until the middle of August so another week to 10 days won’t make a difference, we normally don’t have our first day until the first Saturday in November and I’d quite happily leave it until mid November because with them going in late they are never quite ready for the first day, I’m hoping that when we get closer to getting them he has some left over and we can have closer to the 800, it’s easier to look after more than less

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Ours don’t normally come until the middle of August so another week to 10 days won’t make a difference, we normally don’t have our first day until the first Saturday in November and I’d quite happily leave it until mid November because with them going in late they are never quite ready for the first day, I’m hoping that when we get closer to getting them he has some left over and we can have closer to the 800, it’s easier to look after more than less

You got many birds from last season still about? We seem to have a lot 

5 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

You got many birds from last season still about? We seem to have a lot 

There was a lot in the spring, but I haven’t spent much time up there since then, the old girl said there’s still a dozen or so around the farm, I’m going to get up at the weekend and put some drinks out, water is always a good draw for them, so we’ll see what’s about ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

First time the rain gear has been out for months, need to work out the plan of attack up at the shoot ?

C651F98E-2A2A-4FBF-AB11-765408B062EA.jpeg

That looks like a coat my mam would wear!! Gey some dirt on it man!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I had a good walk around the shoot as the old girl had told me that they had cut the barley at the back of the farm and the big field of rape over the piggeries, when I got there they have sort of cut the rape, randomly they have cut strips from the centre of the fields, no idea why they have done this, normally they would start with the headlands, so I headed to the back of the farm and the barley field, this is all cut but they have only bailed part of the field and the straw runs are to deep to see anything the other side of them, there’s quite a few deer knocking about on the cut fields, thinking that I’d be better off waiting until everything is off I headed back up towards the farm following the edge of the oak wood, as I looked up the trees I could see some heat, it was to big to be a rabbit so I gave it a few squeak’s, it turned out to be a big hare, so before moving on I looked around the field with the thermal and for god’s sake there was a bloody fox behind me, no more than 25ft away, that had come in to the call, as soon as I turned it ran back to the wood, ? I fu*king love em ??

075B6C51-F410-47CA-8D81-B7BB18D582EB.jpeg

830031DA-5D84-4469-9E07-52EB299B0766.jpeg

0C7E7E21-0D3C-423B-923D-A8C89F23077C.jpeg

• Like 3